Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
/ daily "quiet times"? I mean like picking what to read, how you study it. I know I need to read more and I'm trying to read straight through the bible in order but I have so much trouble focusing or overthinking things and getting myself in trouble so how do you decide what to do?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Reading through the bible I just read chapters at a time it was pretty easy to do just that and have a bookmark where I got up to.

:)

Thats if it's your first time, just let the words sink in. Studying then becomes much easier once you've read the whole Bible through.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Reading through the bible I just read chapters at a time it was pretty easy to do just that and have a bookmark where I got up to.

:)

Thats if it's your first time, just let the words sink in. Studying then becomes much easier once you've read the whole Bible through.
Yeah I have a plan on the bible app I have tried to follow off and on, but I mean devotionals outside of that. To keep me reading even when I can't keep pushing through in order.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
/ daily "quiet times"? I mean like picking what to read, how you study it. I know I need to read more and I'm trying to read straight through the bible in order but I have so much trouble focusing or overthinking things and getting myself in trouble so how do you decide what to do?

Hello.

Do you own a study bible? If you don't then I'd recommend one as they typically contain a reading plan that's yearly and takes you through various passages each day throughout the year.

Alternatively, something that has served people well is reading one of the larger books of the Bible and then giving themselves a bit of a break by reading a shorter book in the Bible and alternating.

We are going through as a group next month in Proverbs so I'd love to invite you to that. It's a great book that's full of wisdom and it is 31 chapters(so we'll read one a day for the month of March). It's a very good way to help cement the habit of daily reading but also being able to quantify the benefits of daily reading within a specific time frame.

If you're interested in a study bible then I recommend the ESV Study Bible. Even if you aren't a great fan of the translation itself, the study notes alone are invaluable.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I start with a prayer, maybe about 5 to 10 minutes (I used to say it in my mind but found that my mind mostly wanders so I recently started saying them aloud which I found was much more helpful in keeping on track with the subjects. Yet I'm very uncomfortable with praying aloud, so sometimes I still say them in my mind).

After that I'll read 2 to 5 (once in a while more, but not anymore than like 9 or 10) Bible chapters. I don't go straight through, I think that deprives you of a clearer depiction of Christ in the New Testament for much too long a time. I go back and forth from Old to New and read the entirety of it in about a year (I have a reading plan I've developed that I've stuck to for the past 3 years).

Then if I have time I'll read a secondary book. I'll usually do this at the very least on Sundays and then probably for another 3 to 5 days of the week (sometimes after a much too exhausting day of work, it's about all I can do to say a prayer and read a couple Bible chapters). I'm currently going through Calvin's Commentaries. Now this is an incredibly lengthy reading to tackle (and I'm proceeding rather slowly much to my chagrin); it's a total of 22 volumes if I'm remembering correctly. I'll generally read a few pages, maybe like 3-5 on the days I'll read it during the week and I'll try to read at least 20 to 30 pages on Sunday.

That's how it's been proceeding for me for about 3 years now (have been reading different secondary readings during that time. First was Westminster Confessions of Faith with Catechisms, then it was Matthew Henry's commentaries and now it's Calvin).

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Outside of Bible reading I do read a devotional that gets emailed to me everyday.

There are different ones out there. Would you like a recommendation?
There's also books, one that I did for a year was by Oswald Chambers 'My Utmost for His highest' and thats a classic amongst christian devotionals.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello.

Do you own a study bible? If you don't then I'd recommend one as they typically contain a reading plan that's yearly and takes you through various passages each day throughout the year.

Alternatively, something that has served people well is reading one of the larger books of the Bible and then giving themselves a bit of a break by reading a shorter book in the Bible and alternating.

We are going through as a group next month in Proverbs so I'd love to invite you to that. It's a great book that's full of wisdom and it is 31 chapters(so we'll read one a day for the month of March). It's a very good way to help cement the habit of daily reading but also being able to quantify the benefits of daily reading within a specific time frame.

If you're interested in a study bible then I recommend the ESV Study Bible. Even if you aren't a great fan of the translation itself, the study notes alone are invaluable.
I have an ESV Hebrew-Greek key note study bible. I just recently got it but I don't think it has a plan.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have an ESV Hebrew-Greek key note study bible. I just recently got it but I don't think it has a plan.

This one. It's even on offer for $30 and it's a big Bible with a lot of content.

ESV Study Bible, Hardcover

Here's a picture for scale.

YzUE5N9.jpg

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Outside of Bible reading I do read a devotional that gets emailed to me everyday.

There are different ones out there. Would you like a recommendation?
There's also books, one that I did for a year was by Oswald Chambers 'My Utmost for His highest' and thats a classic amongst christian devotionals.
Sure! Recommendations are nice. The only stores I know that sell devotional books/dvds are in another city east of me but I rarely go over there at all.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This one. It's even on offer for $30 and it's a big Bible with a lot of content.

ESV Study Bible, Hardcover

Here's a picture for scale.

YzUE5N9.jpg

I haven't gotten used to how huge study bibles are. Anyway, I already have a study bible that is ESV, and a key note study bible (where they put keys next to certain things and have footnotes about the verses the keys go to), with a Hebrew and a Greek lexicon in the back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All of this advice is well and good. I have no criticism of it. However, I recommend OP not to overlook the importance of a daily prayer ritual. Given my age I have already read much. I now find that a daily prayer ritual does more to focus and nurture my faith than any amount of reading I may do. I suppose my experience does not apply to everyone, but I have come to believe that Christians should read less and pray more -- and "Be still and know that I am God." :pray:

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I try to read about 3 or 4 chapters of the Bible a day and pray. It doesn't matter which four, I just tend to record what I read so I know where I have been. I don't try to read the Bible chronologically because then you get bogged down in Leviticus or Numbers and get discouraged and quit. Try combining books that you like with those that are more dry. Like reading some Psalms or a gospel when reading Leviticus or Numbers. One chapter of one and then two or three of another. It gets a little easier that way

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I try to read about 3 or 4 chapters of the Bible a day and pray. It doesn't matter which four, I just tend to record what I read so I know where I have been. I don't try to read the Bible chronologically because then you get bogged down in Leviticus or Numbers and get discouraged and quit. Try combining books that you like with those that are more dry. Like reading some Psalms or a gospel when reading Leviticus or Numbers. One chapter of one and then two or three of another. It gets a little easier that way

That's good advice. I finished numbers but it was hard. I think the Corinthians would be good for me to read too.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's good advice. I finished numbers but it was hard. I think the Corinthians would be good for me to read too.
To be sure, every book of the Bible would be good for you to read. The question that's often asked is "Where to start?" The last time that was asked around here, there was a wide range of answers.

I myself tend to suggest starting with the New Testament, most likely with Mark, the most uncomplicated of the Gospels. Then take in the other Gospels, and after that the rest of the New Testament (including Corinthians). After that, you could read the Old Testament to see what led up to the coming of the Messiah and why this was part of God's plan.

Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To be sure, every book of the Bible would be good for you to read. The question that's often asked is "Where to start?" The last time that was asked around here, there was a wide range of answers.

I myself tend to suggest starting with the New Testament, most likely with Mark, the most uncomplicated of the Gospels. Then take in the other Gospels, and after that the rest of the New Testament (including Corinthians). After that, you could read the Old Testament to see what led up to the coming of the Messiah and why this was part of God's plan.

Even only making it as far as I did though, the Old Testament can set up some things to be more understandable in the New Testament. And every book is good to read for different purposes, I will agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a bible app called our daily bread which I regularly read,it has a devotion and a bible reading plan.I love it.
I haven't heard of it, thanks for telling me.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
  • Friendly
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mine is free just google Bereans. They send out email devotions and its scripture first, not just one verse but chunks thats the best way to learn, and any commentary is absolutely bible based I havent found that its of any private interpretation. Have been subscribing for over three years now.

We are to search scripture DAILY to see if things are so, thats what the Bereans did in the book of Acts so thats why this one is called Bereans.

Upvote 0