How do you define sin?

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Read the regulations concerning slaves and the owners of slaves in Scripture. It was a means of survival, controlled/ regulated for the good of everyone, and was (and is) something that is needed as God says. Already, in any case, contrary to God's Way, there are more slaves, and more deceived persons, in the USA, than ever before. Also, after the civil war, which we were once taught was a war to end slavery in the south, the condition and the number of slaves greatly worsened AFTER the north won ! ..... this is not even in dispute.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is only dangerous if the wicked hold to it.
If the Godly follow the rule of God first, they are no threat to anyone at all.
Is loving God above all else and our neighbors as ourselves dangerous?

I have a personal choice in all I do, thanks be to God.

If everybody jumped off a bridge, would you?
Some "laws" are dangerous.
If you want to disobey your countries laws, then perhaps you should find another country to live in. The law is the foundation on which society stands and defines the country.

• Winner
Reactions: Beanieboy
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly! Being a slave is an honor; when one has a righteous master.
Ah, The Land of the Free, built on slavery!
Do you seriously believe that however righteous a master was in the US that it was moral to basically abduct humans from Africa, force them to work, give them the bare minimum of food (usually the garbage parts of the master, like pig's feet), and whip them for disobedience, all while only acknowledging them as 3/5 of a person, which was the root of racism in this country?

This website just makes me lose hope for humanity, when Christ commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves, and still some modern day Christian is arguing in favor of slavery.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
basically abduct humans from Africa

Basically? Were they abducted or not? Is this the type of slavery/servitude that you believe YHWH condones? Instead of using anecdotes that you've extracted from revisionist history; why not work with biblical examples?

• Informative
Reactions: Beanieboy
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sin is often talked about in Christianity, but I wonder if we understand what sin is differently.

My understanding of sin is doing something that is selfish, which in turn, brings harm to another.

For example, a married man sees a woman he is attracted to and acts on it. He will need to lie to his wife, breaking their trust, and feeling betrayed. She will feel angry, jealous and mistrustful of her husband sleeping with another, and hurt. When the husband made this choice, he acted selfishly, rather than loving his wife.

Lying breeds mistrust. Killing breeds fear, need for revenge, etc.
All laws are there for logical reasons.

One cannot text and drive just "because it's a rule," but to prevent accidents, injury and death.

And as Christ said, all laws are fulfilled when loving your neighbor as yourself.

Do others understand sin differently?

Well your example falls very short.! Jesus said even to just look at a woman to lust for her is adultery!
But there are six words for sin in the Bible and each has its own class of offending God. Sin is first an attitude of the heart before it becomes an action.

But to make a succinct definition is this: Sin is anything that is done outside of faith!

Romans 14:23 [Full Chapter]
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
It is only dangerous if the wicked hold to it.
If the Godly follow the rule of God first, they are no threat to anyone at all.
Is loving God above all else and our neighbors as ourselves dangerous?

My friend is from Uganda.
Scott Lively, an evangelical pastor of Christianity, went to Uganda and had connections with religious and political leaders, lied about a "gay agenda" where GLBTQ can't reproduce, so they recruit your children, are a threat to your marriage and mean to bring down society itself.
Meet the American pastor behind Uganda's anti-gay crackdown

As a result, homosexuality was made illegal, punishable by jail time for the first offense, and death for the second. If one did not report someone who you suspect may be gay, you will be in-prisoned as an accomplish, whether you are a doctor treating a patient, a parent, a sibling, a good friend, or a neighbor. It sounded like the book 1984. The country became more violent against anyone even perceived gay, kind of like the US when gay-bashing wasn't uncommon. He has shown me the scars on his body where he had been jumped more than once. He said he left his bible back in his country, disgusted at how the religion used fear and deception to manipulate followers, made GLBTQ into villains that were a threat to children, marriage and society, and not being able to even get a consideration for the "Kill the Gays Bill" in the US, preyed upon a 3rd World country like Uganda, in order to make it legal to execute gays.

I'm sure pastor Lively justifies it by quoting Leviticus, or saying that he is loving God by obeying his laws, and the bill will help deter homosexuality.

People do atrocious things in the name of God.

And are any evangelicals denouncing him?
None that I have heard of. I have heard and read the same false rhetoric, claim orientation is a choice, or claim "the bible is clear about the issue," which shuts down the conversation before it even starts.

Are do they approve of the increased violence towards gays in countries like Uganda?

When I see people like him, and no evangelical opposing him, I really start to lose faith in humanity, and a religion that teaches one to love their neighbor, defend discrimination with lies meant to manipulate, then travel around the world to get another country's government to have the death penalty for gays, becausr you somehow think this is doing God's Will.

Seriously, how messed up in the head does one have to be, and how much murderous hatred does one need to have to be motivated to go to that far to persecute gays, and how much self deception do you have to have to tell yourself what you are doing is holy, and how far from God must one distance themself to not have the HS show him just how evil his actions are?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want to disobey your countries laws, then perhaps you should find another country to live in. The law is the foundation on which society stands and defines the country.
The things I have rejected to this point are licenses to commit unGodliness.
I will not take part in any of them.
I will disobey any law that forces me to commit sin.
Wouldn't you and your denomination do the same?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah, The Land of the Free, built on slavery!
Do you seriously believe that however righteous a master was in the US that it was moral to basically abduct humans from Africa, force them to work, give them the bare minimum of food (usually the garbage parts of the master, like pig's feet), and whip them for disobedience, all while only acknowledging them as 3/5 of a person, which was the root of racism in this country?

This website just makes me lose hope for humanity, when Christ commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves, and still some modern day Christian is arguing in favor of slavery.
Please be assured that it isn't "modern day Christians" who are arguing in favor of slavery.
Anyone in favor of enslavement to another man is not an obedient servant of God.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My friend is from Uganda.
Scott Lively, an evangelical pastor of Christianity, went to Uganda and had connections with religious and political leaders, lied about a "gay agenda" where GLBTQ can't reproduce, so they recruit your children, are a threat to your marriage and mean to bring down society itself.
Meet the American pastor behind Uganda's anti-gay crackdown

As a result, homosexuality was made illegal, punishable by jail time for the first offense, and death for the second. If one did not report someone who you suspect may be gay, you will be in-prisoned as an accomplish, whether you are a doctor treating a patient, a parent, a sibling, a good friend, or a neighbor. It sounded like the book 1984. The country became more violent against anyone even perceived gay, kind of like the US when gay-bashing wasn't uncommon. He has shown me the scars on his body where he had been jumped more than once. He said he left his bible back in his country, disgusted at how the religion used fear and deception to manipulate followers, made GLBTQ into villains that were a threat to children, marriage and society, and not being able to even get a consideration for the "Kill the Gays Bill" in the US, preyed upon a 3rd World country like Uganda, in order to make it legal to execute gays.

I'm sure pastor Lively justifies it by quoting Leviticus, or saying that he is loving God by obeying his laws, and the bill will help deter homosexuality.

People do atrocious things in the name of God.

And are any evangelicals denouncing him?
None that I have heard of. I have heard and read the same false rhetoric, claim orientation is a choice, or claim "the bible is clear about the issue," which shuts down the conversation before it even starts.

Are do they approve of the increased violence towards gays in countries like Uganda?

When I see people like him, and no evangelical opposing him, I really start to lose faith in humanity, and a religion that teaches one to love their neighbor, defend discrimination with lies meant to manipulate, then travel around the world to get another country's government to have the death penalty for gays, becausr you somehow think this is doing God's Will.

Seriously, how messed up in the head does one have to be, and how much murderous hatred does one need to have to be motivated to go to that far to persecute gays, and how much self deception do you have to have to tell yourself what you are doing is holy, and how far from God must one distance themself to not have the HS show him just how evil his actions are?
Pastor Lively's view is not a Christian oriented one, so you can quit referring to him as such.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The things I have rejected to this point are licenses to commit unGodliness.
I will not take part in any of them.
What law forces you to sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
A more accurate description of the bull's eye of God's character, is love from a pure heart.

Love does not steal or covet, lie or kill.

Indeed, all God's laws are examples of how He wants us to love Him and our neighbor, which is why Jesus said that those were the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hung on them. Though the greatest two commandments are a lot easier said than done, so thankfully God gave all of the other commandments to paint is a picture of the aspects of love look like.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
BTW, your idea of "modern Christians" is really a view of "modern false Christians".
Agreed. I don't mean to imply that all Christians are modern day hypocrites, but I would argue that the most vocal, with channels on YouTube, Televangelists, Controversial Christians, people like Kim Davis, is who, I believe, nonChristians view Christians - moral superiority, harshly judging others while forgiving themselves, refusal to listen to others while demanding the listen to them yelling about hell fire, afraid of anyone or anything different from them, Harry Potter, Halloween, or thinking the world in general is scary and everyone except Christians in their church evil, more concerned about others' lives than their own, and to be honest, some of the most mean spirited people I have encountered.

Years ago, i felt the HS moved through me, asking me to witness to what you are calling False Christians. They, of course, believe they are the real Christians, and give Christianity a bad reputation.

In YouTube, the woman who hosts God is Grey says she is very open with people about her faith, but her friend will say, "This is my friend. She's Christian, but she's ok - she's not judgemental, condescending, but humble and down to earth - a really nice person. "

And that is the reality - her friends, after disclosing that she is Christian, have to assure the others that the woman is not a threat to them, but kind, humble, loving, like Jesus. What a concept.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
None, yet.
How about an answer to my question in post #87...
Here is the question you asked.
What kind of law would force you to commit sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. I don't mean to imply that all Christians are modern day hypocrites, but I would argue that the most vocal, with channels on YouTube, Televangelists, Controversial Christians, people like Kim Davis, is who, I believe, nonChristians view Christians - moral superiority, harshly judging others while forgiving themselves, refusal to listen to others while demanding the listen to them yelling about hell fire, afraid of anyone or anything different from them, Harry Potter, Halloween, or thinking the world in general is scary and everyone except Christians in their church evil, more concerned about others' lives than their own, and to be honest, some of the most mean spirited people I have encountered.

Years ago, i felt the HS moved through me, asking me to witness to what you are calling False Christians. They, of course, believe they are the real Christians, and give Christianity a bad reputation.

In YouTube, the woman who hosts God is Grey says she is very open with people about her faith, but her friend will say, "This is my friend. She's Christian, but she's ok - she's not judgemental, condescending, but humble and down to earth - a really nice person. "

And that is the reality - her friends, after disclosing that she is Christian, have to assure the others that the woman is not a threat to them, but kind, humble, loving, like Jesus. What a concept.
It boils down to us being careful about who we label as Christian.
I use the term "Christian" in very narrow parameters, according to exact measurement of biblical standards.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is the question you asked.
What kind of law would force you to commit sin?
How about laws that command me to favor one set of humans above another.
Or laws that denigrate or marginalize one set of humans.
I will disregard such laws.

And again, I will ask for an answer to my question from post #87?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How about laws that command me to favor one set of humans above another.
Or laws that denigrate or marginalize one set of humans.
I will disregard such laws.

And again, I will ask for an answer to my question from post #87?
I need the example; your reference to a law was too vague?

Favor one set of humans above another?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need the example; your reference to a law was too vague?

Favor one set of humans above another?
How about a law that said blacks can't buy a house in your neighborhood?
Or eat at your store.
How about a law that says you can't home-school your kids?
Or preach against homo-sexual "marriage"?
I can't obey such unGodly laws.

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sin is often talked about in Christianity, but I wonder if we understand what sin is differently.

My understanding of sin is doing something that is selfish, which in turn, brings harm to another.

For example, a married man sees a woman he is attracted to and acts on it. He will need to lie to his wife, breaking their trust, and feeling betrayed. She will feel angry, jealous and mistrustful of her husband sleeping with another, and hurt. When the husband made this choice, he acted selfishly, rather than loving his wife.

Lying breeds mistrust. Killing breeds fear, need for revenge, etc.
All laws are there for logical reasons.

One cannot text and drive just "because it's a rule," but to prevent accidents, injury and death.

And as Christ said, all laws are fulfilled when loving your neighbor as yourself.

Do others understand sin differently?

Sin is defined in the bible as missing the mark. The mark is the 10 commandments which defines our duty of love to both God and man. So sin as defined in the bible as not believing and following God's Word *ROMANS 14:23 and breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *EXODUS 20:1-17, as it is God's 10 Commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken according to the scriptures *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0