How do you deal with a crush in a Godly manner?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Just something I've been wondering, and what if they're not a Christian? Is it still okay to date them?

You can always compliment them, whether or not they are Christian, or start a conversation or invite them for coffee. In terms of dating though, it wouldn't be wise to date someone whose path is not towards God, usually ends up being a sticky situation where you're on two different roads. Not much joy in that.

But nothing wrong with making a friend of the crush, to know them better.

Reactions: lexmhll
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You can always compliment them, whether or not they are Christian, or start a conversation or invite them for coffee. In terms of dating though, it wouldn't be wise to date someone whose path is not towards God, usually ends up being a sticky situation where you're on two different roads. Not much joy in that.

But nothing wrong with making a friend of the crush, to know them better.
Mskriskris speaks words of solemn truth.

When boy meets girl, boy and girl break up. Or, worse, they get married.

If she's not a Christian, best to protect your heart and move on.

Back in high school, I didn't have access to sarcastic (but still good!) advice. All I had was my guts.

And we all know what our guts have for brains, right?

So anyway, I became friendly with this girl. She was a major league sweetie, cute smile, the whole thing. Things were going great, right? Wrong.

Come to find out that the chick was basically a Moonie.

In high school, I dated atheists, Christians and even had a few near misses with some Mormons. But even I had to draw the line somewhere.

I won't date a Moonie, bro.

I regret nothing.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just something I've been wondering, and what if they're not a Christian? Is it still okay to date them?

I wouldn't date someone who doesn't have the revelation of Jesus Christ. The Bible says where two are together its because they agree. Also Jesus said a house thats divided wont stand together. I know he said that about the enemy, but I keep in mind that in a relationship faith in God should be what keeps them together.

I don’t think crushes are bad, but as you mature you realize whats really important to have in a partner, that instead of wasting time fantasizing, your feet tend to be more on the ground and be more realistic.

Upvote 0

Emily Foster

Sep 14, 2016
Colorado Springs
✟22,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there! If the girl you care about doesn’t agree with what you believe or encourage you in your walk with Christ, it can put a lot of pressure on your relationship with her and with God, too. This is really concerning because God should be first in our lives. Sometimes people feel that they will be able to influence their non-Christian boyfriend/girlfriend and actually be a witness to them. However, this doesn’t always happen. Christians with the best of intentions can end up compromising their values if they establish close relationships with those who do not share their commitment to the Lord.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with all the other posts!
I would hardly advise anyone to date someone from an another confession (and I would hardly advise anyone to date as a teenager or even in general, without having deeply thought about it, but I guess I may be too old-fashioned and grumpy). For a relationship needs common values, thoughts and prospects - and that is, excepted in some remarkable cases, hard to share with someone too different. Being ot not of a confession really is a huge difference between two people : it changes almost all the perspectives on life. I would say it depends on what you are expecting in a relationship - if you want to build your life with someone, which even is already very hard as a teenager, or if you simply want to experience "dating", as it were a kind of occupation or ritual. But if I were you, I would not get into trouble with a non-Christian like this!

How harsh I sound - like a grumpy old woman, really! Anyway, welcome on the board and by the way, I love your avatar! Tom Holland finally is the perfect Spiderman :)

Upvote 0

lexmhll

Conquerer through Him that loves us.
May 1, 2018
✟21,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I agree with all the other posts!
I would hardly advise anyone to date someone from an another confession (and I would hardly advise anyone to date as a teenager or even in general, without having deeply thought about it, but I guess I may be too old-fashioned and grumpy). For a relationship needs common values, thoughts and prospects - and that is, excepted in some remarkable cases, hard to share with someone too different. Being ot not of a confession really is a huge difference between two people : it changes almost all the perspectives on life. I would say it depends on what you are expecting in a relationship - if you want to build your life with someone, which even is already very hard as a teenager, or if you simply want to experience "dating", as it were a kind of occupation or ritual. But if I were you, I would not get into trouble with a non-Christian like this!

How harsh I sound - like a grumpy old woman, really! Anyway, welcome on the board and by the way, I love your avatar! Tom Holland finally is the perfect Spiderman :)
You don’t sound that harsh, thanks for the advice! And ahah thanks I agree! He’s really done great. ^_^

Upvote 0

Benama

Oct 13, 2018
rizal
✟8,939.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Well sometimes I look at "my crushes" and I'm like "ugh can we just screw the rules and get it done!?" BUT the Holy Spirit in me knows better.

I always remind myself that God's way is the best.

I don't allow myself to become attached to "my crushes" cause I know that God can literally put a totally random person in my life and tell me, "this is the person you're gonna spend the rest of your life with."

Don't dwell too much on your crushes. They're only human, and most if not all of them will let you down eventually.

Peace :handfist:

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I can testify whats Godly -there was a time when I thought I might know what that was - but has shown me aspects that I dont necessarily accord with.

I'll just say - I treat the person I adore with gentleness, and kindness and seek to be a kind and generous person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums