Apr 30, 2013
✟8,576.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lost some friends in expressing my belief in Christ. I pray to God as he is the only one who can satisfy me entirely. Even then, I can't help but wish I had friends. I try to keep my mind off of it and focus on God, but I still let loneliness creep in. I have some faithful online friends that I am very grateful for, but it's like I want physical contact with another human.

If God is supposed to be everything to us, then is it wrong to actively seek out friendships?

Philpy1976

May 3, 2013
England
✟16,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't wrong to want friends.

Fellowship is what you are seeking. Do you go to church? are there people there you can become better acquainted with?
My family and I have been very fortunate to find a church which promotes fellowship as a high priority. We have been made to feel very welcome and have started to make some good friendships.

Are there any Christian groups in your area you could join? Or even Christian charity events you could take part in? My wife met a girl on a sponsored walk recently for the YMCA and they have become friends now.
Once we immerse ourselves in Gods work, fellowship is almost inevitable.

Upvote 0

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lost some friends in expressing my belief in Christ. I pray to God as he is the only one who can satisfy me entirely. Even then, I can't help but wish I had friends. I try to keep my mind off of it and focus on God, but I still let loneliness creep in. I have some faithful online friends that I am very grateful for, but it's like I want physical contact with another human.

If God is supposed to be everything to us, then is it wrong to actively seek out friendships?

Maybe the Lord wanted to seperate you from the friends that you had as they are from the world and you are of Him. Unbelievers and believers don't mix. Light and darkness do not mix. He must be separating the wheat from the tares.

Try to find a friend who is a believer in Christ. Yes, you might find someone by going to church who is a true christian and not the name only counterfeit christian.

Upvote 0

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟9,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy." (Psalm 126:5)

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but I think that one day you'll look back at the momentary sufferring you're experiencing and realize that it was one of the best things that happened to you. That sounds crazy, but I can speak from experience on this. I went through a period of severe loneliness, depression, and isolation, to the point where I began flirting with the notion of suicide. Well, if I hadn't hit that "rock bottom", I doubt I would have sought after Christ otherwise. Sometimes, God has to allow our hearts to be broken so that they are easier for Him to mold.

So remember, you are not alone or unique in your current struggles. I've read stories about Muslim converts who, upon telling their families about their decision to follow Christ, they are essentially exiled and viewed as an "embarassment" to the family, they are no longer treated as sons or daughters. Sometimes, this is inevitable. What we have to ask ourselves: is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

Keep in mind that you have already been adopted into a much larger family than the one you left behind. Jesus said it well in Matthew 12:

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

My thoughts and prayers go with you brother

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong in wanting friends, we are
created for relationship/fellowship.

Have you given any thoughts to meeting up with some of the
online friends that you have?

I would encourage you to take part in meeting up with other Christians
at church and in your own town. Look for opportunities that will put you
in contact with fellow Christians.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Material wealth can mean so much fulfillment and social satisfaction with friends even if they are non-Christian. Having your own private mini-cinema with a home theatre system that costs several thousand and a 50-seat luxury comfortable armchair with foot cushions. Restaurant meals, fastfood or even barbecue served for free would attract so much attention, that even the neighbors who are fed up with cinema ticket prices or being lonely themselves would love the "mini-cinema style millionaire for the poor and sick society" Christian.:
To be realistic, with Jesus spiritually in my heart, he knows our needs and desires that no government-supporting science and technology can match when our future-coming most advanced kingdom of God, with materials not yet known to mankind and built with the ultimate in health and safety standards, where no hazardous bacteria or viruses could grow and infect us.:
There is so much excitement and a positive future with Jesus that I strongly believe will give us spiritual entertainment such as singing songs of worship, a stadium for sports entertainment where sports injuries are nonexistent because of our future-seeing supernatural ability of Jesus Christ who will warn our minds to avoid violent physical contact.
As for television and cinema, who knows what resources that Jesus can offer us that will keep us educated and productive into making new and fresh ideas or inventions .;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you enjoy doing in your off time?

I like motorcycles & found out there is a Christian organization that rides motorcycles and spreads the Gospel among biker-folk. I joined and met a lot of great friends, went lots of places and did some ministry. It has been great. There are lots of organizations for lots of different activities, where Christians don't just "hang out and be Christian together" but actually use their personal interests/ lifestyles/ hobbies as tools for following Matthew 28:16-20. It is a good cure for loneliness as you can find these, depending on your interests, and they'll be doing what you like & having fun while doing good.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God certainly wants us to have meaningful friendships according to his Word ; Christians are not to be Lone Rangers in life. So, make it a priority to get involved ! Consider : Small Groups / Singles Ministries / Serving Ministries with Others at your local church or outside of your church ; consider Volunteering opportunities at Hospice or other Charity . MAKE your life enriched by not allowing boredom to enter the picture. Look for ways to serve God alone and with others. See what other local Churches events are and go to some of them . Look into Bowling Groups, Karaoking , concerts, and the like...anywhere that places you in a position to say 'hi' to people .

Pray hard for nice people to fill your life. Its going to require your fully cooperation with Gods orchestration for you to have Friends, so, take advantage of multiple opportunities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course it's not wrong to want friends. God created us to be interconnected with each other, as the Body of Christ, one big family. We aren't designed to be alone.

However, if you're experiencing loneliness, the best solution is to get out of the house and keep yourself busy. Take a class for fun. Pick up a new hobby. Volunteer at a hospital, nursing home, or animal shelter. Doing something useful, helping others, all of these are cures for the "woe is me" mindset :) Sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself is the WORST thing a lonely person can do.

Upvote 0