How do you communicate with your sound team?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wave my arms, like the guys signaling the planes at the airport. IF they are lazy, they assume im in the spirit, and use that as a reason to not attend to my call. Im thinking that those ear buds would make a better solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael-T
Upvote 0

Michael-T

Oct 19, 2017
Central Arkansas
✟8,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I ask comes from something that happened yesterday. Last week we installed a new microphone for our pastor. Yesterday morning our gathering started with four baptisms, and the pastor opened the gathering in the baptistry and when he started speaking I could hear some humming and felt his mic was about to feedback.

I grabbed my phone and texted our sound tech in the balcony to make some adjustments to his EQ settings, and the rest of the gathering was fine. After lunch I received an anonymous text that if I am going to use my phone during a worship service I should step down. I replied to the text the reason for my use but still want to research other ways to get information to the sound team or visual team quickly.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I ask comes from something that happened yesterday. Last week we installed a new microphone for our pastor. Yesterday morning our gathering started with four baptisms, and the pastor opened the gathering in the baptistry and when he started speaking I could hear some humming and felt his mic was about to feedback.

I grabbed my phone and texted our sound tech in the balcony to make some adjustments to his EQ settings, and the rest of the gathering was fine. After lunch I received an anonymous text that if I am going to use my phone during a worship service I should step down. I replied to the text the reason for my use but still want to research other ways to get information to the sound team or visual team quickly.
Yes, Using the phone in church is a big no-no.....right up there with Sleeping..... It sends a bad message to the teens and children. I do it as well.....but I dont get caught :p If you cant do it discretely, it is time to find an alternate solution. A smart watch could work.......you can voice your text to your watch and send.....that way people will think you are under some new kind of Spirit, that causes you to talk to your wrist, and will just leave you alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael-T

Oct 19, 2017
Central Arkansas
✟8,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Using the phone in church is a big no-no.....right up there with Sleeping..... It sends a bad message to the teens and children. I do it as well.....but I dont get caught :p If you cant do it discretely, it is time to find an alternate solution. A smart watch could work.......you can voice your text to your watch and send.....that way people will get you are under some new kind of Spirit, that causes you to talk to your wrist, and will just leave you alone.

I can understand that. It was the quickest way I could come up with to avoid the squealing feedback sound that I felt was about to happen at the moment.

I'm not sure the church would spring for a smart watch :)

I know some sound boards have talk back features built in to them; I'll have to find out if our particular board has that ability.

Upvote 0

ShadowsChild

Victorious NOT Victim
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
✟8,916.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not a leader but am part of a team and my team lead will send me running between songs if needed. Or grab whoever is handy in the front row and enlist them. Plus he often has a cordless mic for his guitar and sometimes will just wander back and fix whatever it is himself (he is also the sound tech teacher)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
How do you folks who lead from the platform communicate with your sound team/visual team if they are across the sanctuary, in a balcony, or in any other way a good distance from you and you need to get some info to them quickly?

Interpretive dance.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not a leader but am part of a team and my team lead will send me running between songs if needed. Or grab whoever is handy in the front row and enlist them. Plus he often has a cordless mic for his guitar and sometimes will just wander back and fix whatever it is himself (he is also the sound tech teacher)
Sounds like you're really into music, anyway. :)

I always like to remember that true worship is in spirit and in truth (John 4).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums