How do we get God to protect us from evil?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even reading the Bible, it seems like a total free for all on this Earth. Many stories of people getting killed, look at all the apostles, and all the danger.

And recently a Church shooting has happened this week.

Not only do I want salvation for my soul, I want salvation on this Earth and be protected from anything at least that I did not cause to happen (stuff out of my control), whether they are intentional or accidents (getting in a car wreck).

I do not fear death, but enduring pain and hardship. I thought to myself if something terrible would of happened to me it would deeply shake me up and start to question God.

But as I read more of the Bible, I see people did not have an easy life, and there was no promise for being free of persecution in this world.

Sometimes I lose focus on the long term, and these worldly things get in the way. It is hard to let go and fully trust in God in these difficult times.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is not our genie.
He does not guarantee such safety in this world, just that He will use all such hardships for our ultimate benefit [Romans 8:28].

Jesus said,
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:10 NKJV​

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray about it to be in Gods will. Possibly just as you said @JohnB445 . There are no guarantees but Jesus died honorably to us. We suffer to fill up the sufferings of Jesus or suffer our own pain for Him that His was good enough for us. Don’t be afraid John and Peter were gratified to suffer reproach for the word. Just my thoughts.

but I am going thru the same thing. I want to recoil from pain if death were to come upon me. I don’t want to but could I if I have to. Just obey God and witness for Him and stand up for Him. The world will do the rest if you are worthy. Do you love God more than your body? Paul spoke out and great things happened. He talked himself out of his fear. I don’t want to fear death either or could I even go to jail? Obey God and the world will do the rest.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi and welcome to the forum in Jesus name it's a great place to be for fellowship with other Christians :)
full
(Are you sure that you responded to the right thread?
There are no noobs here...)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even reading the Bible, it seems like a total free for all on this Earth. Many stories of people getting killed, look at all the apostles, and all the danger.

Not only do I want salvation for my soul, I want salvation on this Earth and be protected from anything at least that I did not cause to happen (stuff out of my control), whether they are intentional or accidents (getting in a car wreck).

I do not fear death, but enduring pain and hardship. I thought to myself if something terrible would of happened to me it would deeply shake me up and start to question God.

But as I read more of the Bible, I see people did not have an easy life, and there was no promise for being free of persecution in this world.

Sometimes I lose focus on the long term, and these worldly things get in the way. It is hard to let go and fully trust in God in these difficult times.
The best answer: pray the Prayer Christ said to us all to pray, for each day.

Which has exactly the very help you are asking for in it! --

9 Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread,
12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

-- Christ Jesus, our Savior, Matthew chapter 6.
Matthew 6 ESV

Also, you will find it endlessly rewarding and helpful and to read (or read again) all Christ said, which you could begin in chapter 4 for example to begin reading.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi and welcome to the forum in Jesus name it's a great place to be for fellowship with other Christians :)
yes I seem to be in the wrong conversations :rolleyes::rolleyes: ooops

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For me this is not easy to just put in a few words. To make it simple its not what I say or any one else. Its faith.. faith in Gods word that He spoke. Do we believe He said or some man? "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.". Psa 91 or Isa 41:10.. or any other promises. I don't look around me at whats happening in others lifes to then define how God moves. Some of the things you wrote I would never listen to. Well its clear those thoughts are not from God. If we just took the time to think listen we find so many thoughts like this came out of no where..we were not even thinking like that. So if its fear worry doubt toss it out. Faith comes by hearing hearing by the word of God. Speak His word.. work your faith. Fear comes.. NO God has not given me the spirit of fear but of power love and a sound mind.

Do this with any area of your life. Speak what your Father already spoke. DON'T take my word for it. You seek you pray you find this for your self. Read pray and take the time to just listen. At first its wow for me a nightmar. My mind was everywhere. But after some time you can listen.. worship Him. Its when He knows that we truly mean it and we seek Him from our heart.

Theres a song that says "if I lost it all would my hands stay lifted". I love that. At 61 there have been times when I had great pain in this flesh or with my babies. In those moments NOT TO BOAST praise God glory to Jesus and didn't happen over night but through prayer and walking in this that I in the mist of great pain .. praised HIM worshiped Him. He didn't do it.. or hearing when talking about my baby age 4 at the time ambulance door opens he says very softly "hes not responding to anything". My wife front seat looks as if shes lifeless. I turn start to walk and I said "Father I will never blame you". The door opens now this guy is VERY happy says "Hes responding". God had no hand in what happened at first nor was He testing me. There are many more things in my life. This protection is a promise I know is mine. But how I live think say do comes in to play. Its written give no place to the devil the enemy. Seems he has no place unless we some how give it to him.

Anyway not here to debate anything I said. Again don't take my word for anything. You pray you seek you find out for your self. For me when I just blindly believed then never gave it another thought .. it always happened. The times I did doubt? Have to toss out that doubt read His word where faith comes from and keep standing till my heart believes not just my head. We can say things say we believe yet its just out head not our heart. Has to be our heart.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yup. The moment we forget that the heart of every human God has not transformed is "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked" (Jeremiah 17:9) we become very vulnerable to their wickedness. The world is hopelessly fouled with sin, ruled by the devil 'til Christ returns and the entire planet and heavens are destroyed in fire and replaced. (2 Peter 3:7-10) The world is a very dangerous place.

If God kept you from all harm, would He not be obliged to keep everybody from harm, too? What would be fair and just in God keeping only you fully protected from pain, hardship and death caused by sin? If He did so for you, He'd be obliged to do the same for everybody else. But, then, we wouldn't be truly free moral agents, would we? Suffering, pain and death are the natural consequences of Man's wicked choices. If God simply negates the corruptive, lethal consequences of Man's sin, keeping everybody safe from the effects of their sin, the choice to sin is not genuinely free.

Imagine if this happened to the good choices we made, God erasing the positive consequences of our actions, blotting out, say, the rewards of hard work, or the benefits of an act of integrity, or the life-saving efforts of a firefighter, or EMT, or surgeon. We'd think God very evil, our good choices being made in no small part for the positive effects they produce but divinely negated all the time. And what would be the point of making good choices, then? In the same way, if God were to negate all the destructive effects of our sinful choices, they cease to be meaningful and so cease to be genuinely free.

The price of freedom, of our moral free agency, is personal responsibility and the consequences for good or ill that tumble out of our choices. God must let the results of our choices bear their full fruit if our choices are to be free and meaningful. But, that means we all suffer the ripple effects of the evil choices of others and of our own wickedness. When many billions of people are doing sinful things many times a day, the corruption and death of their sin is going to be enormous and our world a very dark and dangerous place. Thank God, He has not totally withdrawn His sin-mitigating influence upon the world! Yet.

Anyway, all this to say that God doesn't do us a bad turn when He allows us to choose freely and to bear the consequences of our choices - consequences that, for good or ill, touch the lives of others, too. Without such freedom we could not truly love God and walk with Him in joy as we were made to do.

All of us will have to "let go" at some point, whether we want to or not, passing through the valley of the shadow of death into eternity. But our Lord, the Good Shepherd, is with us in that valley, leading us into the joyful forever for which we were made, our lives here merely a brief moment in the everlasting life we will live with our Holy Maker.

Philippians 3:20-21
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;
21 who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

Colossians 3:1-4
1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

2 Peter 3:11-13
11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, "The reverent, worshipful fear of the Lord leads to life, and he who has it rests satisfied; he cannot be visited with [actual] evil." Pro 19:23

Psa 91 includes:
-"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
-There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
- Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name."

Last edited:
Upvote 0