Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Every online Christian forum I've been on over the last several years has a recurring issue of fundamentalist Christians dropping in either in attack mode or in hopes of convincing the rest of us that we should be fundamentalists.

Now I have no intention of dropping into a fundamentalist's forum around here and trying to convert them to my views. Nor have I seem more moderate or progressive Christians do this kind of thing.

Maybe it is kind of like asking how you keep people from knocking on your front door to proselyte but, I really dislike folks like that coming after the rest of us online. I wish there was a way to avoid it. I am sure they feel like they are doing it for the good of my soul or whatever. But I really dislike being preached at. :preach:

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
You've heard it said, "ignorance is bliss". Sometimes ignoring people can lead to bliss as well when they finally get the hint and go away.

Yes, I've had to do that at times too. Unfortunately some such folks can become great interrupters of good conversations.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ignore them in practice, and if they just keep coming back, actually put them on your ignore list (like I have just done with some more users... strange, ChristianForums is actually the only place I've ever had to "ignore" people on before, and the list is already very long).

Also, report those who are just "dropping by" to debate if they prescribe to a belief system that doesn't jive with the board's officially written belief system. That's a violation of the rules :) They can speak in fellowship but not in debate and they cannot preach on those other boards (We have to deal with that a LOT in WWMC, yikes!)

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
If you can't handle your beliefs being challenged and you're unable to make a defense for them maybe they aren't correct beliefs.

See that is the problem with fundamentalists. They some how think their function is to challenge everyone else's belief.

;)

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
See that is the problem with fundamentalists. They some how think their function is to challenge everyone else's belief.

;)

Sir I don't know what you think I am but I'm not a "fundamentalist".

Maybe the reason you're being challenged is because you have incorrect beliefs.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you can't handle your beliefs being challenged and you're unable to make a defense for them maybe they aren't correct beliefs.

Congregational forums are not the place to "challenge" others' beliefs. There are plenty of theology forums for that purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Congregational forums are not the place to "challenge" others' beliefs. There are plenty of theology forums for that purpose.

bjcner.jpg

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I thought that Jesus empowered us to be his witnesses so that when others came around asking questions about our faith we would be able to answer them.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I thought that Jesus empowered us to be his witnesses so that when others came around asking questions about our faith we would be able to answer them.

You need to check out the forum rules. You aren't supposed to be attacking Wesleyan beliefs in this forum.

In the congregational forums your being here attacking Wesleyan beliefs would be like me walking into a Baptist church, taking control of the pulpit, and preaching the value of infant baptism.

It in't what this forum is for. There are several forums including a forum on denominational theologies to argue about views about different denominations.

Upvote 0

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Jesus empowered us to witness. He didn't say, "go into all the world and encourage Christians to argue with each other."

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to check out the forum rules. You aren't supposed to be attacking Wesleyan beliefs in this forum.

In the congregational forums your being here attacking Wesleyan beliefs would be like me walking into a Baptist church, taking control of the pulpit, and preaching the value of infant baptism.

It in't what this forum is for. There are several forums including a forum on denominational theologies to argue about views about different denominations.

I'm not attacking Wesleyan beliefs but I am questioning you. If you're too insecure in your faith to give an answer for your beliefs then you shouldn't be "preaching".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

circuitrider

United Methodist
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2013
Iowa
✟102,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not attacking Wesleyan beliefs but I am questioning you. If you're too insecure in your faith to give an answer for your beliefs then you shouldn't be "preaching".

You have been attacking Wesleyan beliefs you just probably don't know what they are. I'm far from insecure snumerouno. In fact I'm secure enough that I don't have to answer your questions just because you want me to.

Having to argue about faith all the time is your issue not mine.

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have been attacking Wesleyan beliefs you just probably don't know what they are.

I'm well aware of what Wesleyan beliefs are. I was a Nazarene for 11 years. I have read biographies about John Wesley's life as well as his journals and theology.

I'm far from insecure snumerouno.

You seem very insecure. So insecure that you'd rather shew me away then make a defense for your faith.

In fact I'm secure enough that I don't have to answer your questions just because you want me to.

That's fine by me if you don't answer; I won't be missing out on much.

Having to argue about faith all the time is your issue not mine.

Who is arguing. This is a discussion board and the purpose of it is to have a discussion.

Upvote 0