• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do I know it's just the OCD?

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can tell you that you're not guilty of actual blasphemy, but I think your OCD would still try to convince you that you are. It likes to keep our brains in a state of constant guessing. Even though I don't want to freak you out, I'm going to try to speak against your OCD by telling you that no one can tell you FOR SURE that you haven't committed blasphemy. If you're like me, hearing a thought like that is enough to send your heart plummeting. But that's the mindset you need to adopt in order to fight OCD. You're wanting desperately to know that you didn't, to be absolutely convinced. But nobody can convince you absolutely, and even if they did, OCD would still find a way to reason around it! So look it (your obsessiveness) straight in the eyes and say, "Maybe I did. I probably didn't, but in the interest of winning your mind game, let's say I did." It's trying to scare you - so help it along! Make it try to scare you! These are ERP tactics, and I'll be the first to say I'm still learning how to use ERP myself, so if these suggestions don't help you, toss them out. But if you're not already familiar with ERP/CBT, I'd highly recommend that you research it. I'm listing a couple good places to start below:
Welcome
http://ocdandchristianity.com/?page_id=213
Managing the Haunting Thoughts of Pure O – OCD

Upvote 0

HuskeyBoy

Jun 12, 2017
Dayton
✟11,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I can tell you that you're not guilty of actual blasphemy, but I think your OCD would still try to convince you that you are. It likes to keep our brains in a state of constant guessing. Even though I don't want to freak you out, I'm going to try to speak against your OCD by telling you that no one can tell you FOR SURE that you haven't committed blasphemy. If you're like me, hearing a thought like that is enough to send your heart plummeting. But that's the mindset you need to adopt in order to fight OCD. You're wanting desperately to know that you didn't, to be absolutely convinced. But nobody can convince you absolutely, and even if they did, OCD would still find a way to reason around it! So look it (your obsessiveness) straight in the eyes and say, "Maybe I did. I probably didn't, but in the interest of winning your mind game, let's say I did." It's trying to scare you - so help it along! Make it try to scare you! These are ERP tactics, and I'll be the first to say I'm still learning how to use ERP myself, so if these suggestions don't help you, toss them out. But if you're not already familiar with ERP/CBT, I'd highly recommend that you research it. I'm listing a couple good places to start below:
Welcome
http://ocdandchristianity.com/?page_id=213
Managing the Haunting Thoughts of Pure O – OCD
Thank you, you're 100% right and I appreciate the wisdom from a fellow struggler. I will check out the links you sent me.

I've also learned in my OCD studying during all of this that Satan's #1 favorite job title is "the accuser". If eternity had a court system, he would be the best prosecutor in the history of all time. His arguments are solid with very few loopholes and he has thousands of years of experience to strategize from. I (we) don't stand a chance apart from a gracious intervention from God through Christ.

Thank you for your prayers, they mean a lot coming from someone who can relate :)

Upvote 0

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I may join in - we both have much in common. I have a deep Christian faith and I've suffered with OCD most of my life (I'm in my mid 50's).

OCD really dosn't care what weakness it exploits (vows, blasphemy, conscience, fears, mistakes, etc.). And I speak from first hand experience (unfortunately). Also OCD effects all ages (my first experience with ocd was around the age of 5).

Back to your questions - we both know I can't give you an answer that will give you peace.

I can only help point you to the one who can give you peace Jesus Christ. Please read Ephesians chapter 1, as a believer did you know you were chosen before the foundation of the world (please dont miss this point). Who did the choosing? God did or you?.

Now please read Romans chapter 8 and John chapter 10. What can separate you from the love of God? Can anyone snatch you out of God's hands? Do you believe this?

Now if for some reason your faith is not sure please read I Corinthians 15: 1-4 and Romans 10. Our faith must be totally in Jesus Christ for salvation. As OCD sufferers we have no problem seeing our sinfulness. But we have a great deal of trouble turning it over to Jesus for forgiveness (Jesus paid the penalty for of your sin, please read the first few verses of I John chapter 2). Note: Christ was the propitiation for our sin and the sin of the whole world.

Question:
Have you let God know that you are unable save yourself, and placed all you trust for salvation in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ (accepting His payment for your sins on the cross, His actual burial, and His literal ressurection from the dead). If not please take the opportunity to do so now.

As OCD sufferers we must face our fears and uncertainty. And as Christians we can cast those cares on Jesus Christ.

Your friend in Christ

John

Upvote 0

HuskeyBoy

Jun 12, 2017
Dayton
✟11,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If I may join in - we both have much in common. I have a deep Christian faith and I've suffered with OCD most of my life (I'm in my mid 50's).

OCD really dosn't care what weakness it exploits (vows, blasphemy, conscience, fears, mistakes, etc.). And I speak from first hand experience (unfortunately). Also OCD effects all ages (my first experience with ocd was around the age of 5).

Back to your questions - we both know I can't give you an answer that will give you peace.

I can only help point you to the one who can give you peace Jesus Christ. Please read Ephesians chapter 1, as a believer did you know you were chosen before the foundation of the world (please dont miss this point). Who did the choosing? God did or you?.

Now please read Romans chapter 8 and John chapter 10. What can separate you from the love of God? Can anyone snatch you out of God's hands? Do you believe this?

Now if for some reason your faith is not sure please read I Corinthians 15: 1-4 and Romans 10. Our faith must be totally in Jesus Christ for salvation. As OCD sufferers we have no problem seeing our sinfulness. But we have a great deal of trouble turning it over to Jesus for forgiveness (Jesus paid the penalty for of your sin, please read the first few verses of I John chapter 2). Note: Christ was the propitiation for our sin and the sin of the whole world.

Question:
Have you let God know that you are unable save yourself, and placed all you trust for salvation in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ (accepting His payment for your sins on the cross, His actual burial, and His literal ressurection from the dead). If not please take the opportunity to do so now.

As OCD sufferers we must face our fears and uncertainty. And as Christians we can cast those cares on Jesus Christ.

Your friend in Christ

John
Thank you John. I'm ok with facing them, it's God I am afraid to face. The verses in Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, and Leviticus 24 display a God that's not happy with those who trample him underfoot. I've struggled with assurance of forgiveness and salvation ever since I was a kid, so I'm an easy target I guess for these fears. I'm just ready to see God in a forgiving light instead of in an angry way like I have the past 12 years.

Upvote 0

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for the delay

Your question was so close to my heart it sent me looking for answers in my own life. And the result was a better understanding of God's eternal forgiveness.

My friend I believe you are very close to the kingdom. Recognition of ones sinfulness and utter helplessness before God is essential to salvation. Nobody can stand before a Holy God (if we even only offend the law in one point). If we are honest everyone has abused God's name (making us blasphemers), stolen something (making us a thief), lied (making us a liar), lusted after someone (making us in Jesus words an adulterer). And that is only four of the commandments. And standing before a Holy God we all would be found guilty and sentenced to hell (justly). Do you agree? No amount of good behavior, penance, self denial, etc. can ever change the fact that we are guilty.

Jesus on the otherhand through His perfect life, His death on the cross for our sins (all of them), burial, and resurrection paid our debt before a holy God (all of it). The Bible asks us to believe (John 3:16) in Jesus and His atonement (vicarious death) for our sins.

Jesus paid the debt we could not pay and has completely satisfied God's wrath toward our wickedness. Giving us not only forgiveness of sins but Christs righteousness and eternal life. Please read I Cor 15:1-4 (the gospel in a nutshell).

Does it make sense that salvation has nothing to do with our abilities and everything with what the Lord Jesus Christ has done for us. Please put your faith (trust) in what He has done for you and His righteousness (not ours).

God bless, your friend

John

Reactions: HuskeyBoy
Upvote 0

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to add some additional thoughts: we serve Jesus Christ (the Son of God) who came to seek and save those who are lost (like us). He is rich in mercy, and understands we are nothing but dust.

He knit you in your mother's womb and the number of your days were written in a book. He established your time in history and the boundaries of your habitation so that you would seek Him, though He is not very far away.

He chose us before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and blameless before Him in love, dying as the propitiation for our sins. Dying on the cross for our sins, and was buried, and rose again for our justifaction. We have a wonderful savior who has done everything fr our salvation (so wr can stand before a holy God), will you believe? Though you sin be as scarlet, He will make them white as snow.

Your friend,

John

Upvote 0

HuskeyBoy

Jun 12, 2017
Dayton
✟11,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HuskeyBoy

Jun 12, 2017
Dayton
✟11,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This sadly proves I have OCD, but I've gotten books on Jewish literature and law and approached the Leviticus and Hebrews passage from a lawyer standpoint from the Hebrew and Greek interpretations.

I have gotten a little peace from the fact that I haven't personally blasphemed Christ with my own mouth (Leviticus 24), and even at that I haven't done it (whatever "it" is) out of spite for him (Hebrews 10). I just beg for his forgiveness every day for my not making better choices.

Upvote 0

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My friend I beleve this is OCD and something far deeper in my opion. You desperately want to know God loves you and will never leave you (no matter how deep your sin).

May I tell you plainly that if you have a desire to come to Jesus He will never turn you away (that is a Biblical promise, and God cannot lie). God is not looking for technicalities to keep you out of His kingdom (and in your heart we both know this plainly).

My friend you are trying to live the Christian life in your own strength. You are trying to save yourself an impossiblity (only Jesus Christ alone can do this). Please look away from your sins (and failures) to Jesus (He alone is able to forgive).

The link below is of an old time minister of Moody Church in Chicago, Henery Ironside. The message is On how to become a child of God. The recording is dated but the message is timeless. Please listen to this message with an open heart.

God bless,

John Merrett

Upvote 0

HuskeyBoy

Jun 12, 2017
Dayton
✟11,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
One aspect of this I haven't let you guys in on yet is that of my Reformed/Calvinistic beliefs. They served me well in trying to figure out a lot of the aspects of sovereignty and salvation, but know I'm afraid it's part of the reason that I can't break this struggle. '

Why would God choose to save someone like me who handled His name so carelessly. How am I not a person like Esau who traded something worth infinite value for something worth less than a bowl of soup?

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think your specific beliefs matter as much when fighting OCD, because no matter what it will dream up some argument to accuse you. Once you fight your obsession with therapy your mind will become clearer and you will be able to see yourself WITHOUT the accusations. It's a beautiful thing!

Upvote 0

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian councelling is essential. You are not alone in your struggles. But you need someone to come along side to help you sort your rational from unrational thoughts. And to help you realze the love of Christ (through the members of His body).

As to your question, the man who recognizes his sinfulness before God is very close to the kingdom. How else can we understand the purpose abd our need of Christs death, burial, and resurrection (or the Gospel).

Please remember who our Lord Jesus Christ come to save? Thank goodness lost sinners that come to Him like you and me. There is no way to understand "why me" other than through God's loving grace and mercy shown to unworthy sinners.

Your friend

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A313931

Jun 22, 2017
Hickman
✟10,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please take some time to meditate on I John chapter 4 and I Cor chapter 13. Until you know firmly what love is and believe that God is indeed the definition of that love.

Remember "we love Him because He first loved us".

"Love never fails"

Do you believe this?

John

Upvote 0