NY
✟15,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There has been adultery on his part. He was broken everything about marriage that is sacred. I don't know how many second chances to give him or what God wants me to do. I have been fighting with this decision for years now and I am so unhappy. God seems silent. How do I know what He wants me to do and what I should do?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There has been adultery on his part. He was broken everything about marriage that is sacred. I don't know how many second chances to give him or what God wants me to do. I have been fighting with this decision for years now and I am so unhappy. God seems silent. How do I know what He wants me to do and what I should do?
You say that God has been silent. I know the feeling but let me point out that faith, as Paul wrote, "comes by hearing the Word of God." Now... is that the small still voice or the written word? I generally would answer "yes" with a smile. :) Truth is, is can be either... and if God has spoken about this in His Word, then what does it say?

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Silver Chair

Sep 4, 2018
NY
✟15,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say that God has been silent. I know the feeling but let me point out that faith, as Paul wrote, "comes by hearing the Word of God." Now... is that the small still voice or the written word? I generally would answer "yes" with a smile. :) Truth is, is can be either... and if God has spoken about this in His Word, then what does it say?

I'm actually not sure. I asked two pastors and received conflicting information. Is there something more definitive in the Bible that I have missed?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually not sure. I asked two pastors and received conflicting information. Is there something more definitive in the Bible that I have missed?
I don't want to be the reason you stay or go. How long has it been since he cheated last? That question aside, adultery is one of the few covenant breakers when it comes to marriage. You do have a right to leave but that is why I asked when the last time was. If recent, then I would say that you have the right to go... but if 5 years ago and you stayed but just can't get over it... then that would change things as far as I am concerned.

And then there is the question of "Do you still love him?" If yes... will he go to counseling? Is there ANY hope he'll change?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus himself taught that divorce was wrong except in the case of adultery.

"It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that every one who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." Matthew 5:31-32.

In Matthew 19:9, Jesus says, "And I say to you: Whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus himself taught that divorce was wrong except in the case of adultery.
I have a problem with that intrepretation.

In our Lord's day, adultery called for the death penalty. (Jn 8.1-11)

If the offender is put to death, why divorce?

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem with that intrepretation.

In our Lord's day, adultery called for the death penalty. (Jn 8.1-11)

If the offender is put to death, why divorce?
Obviously that was not the bottom line...or the outcome in every case...or else Jesus couldn't have spoken as though it was possible to divorce and remarry. Besides, it is a known fact that serial marriage was a common thing in his day.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously that was not the bottom line...or the outcome in every case...or else Jesus couldn't have spoken as though it was possible to divorce and remarry.
Agreed. So the offense must have been something OTHER than adultery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're discounting your own evidence then?
Not at all.

My evidence says that if you commit adultery, you would get killed. Quickly after it was found out. That renders divorce a moot point.

So the "only adultery can bring on a divorce" doctrine cannot be right. Our Lord must have been talking about something else.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not at all.

My evidence says that if you commit adultery, you would get killed. Quickly after it was found out. That renders divorce a moot point.
It also requires us to think that Jesus was talking nonsense when he said what he did about divorce and remarriage.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It also requires us to think that Jesus was talking nonsense when he said what he did about divorce and remarriage.
It is only "nonsense" if you are locked into a single interpretation that does not fit the conversation.

IOW: Find ANOTHER interpretation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is only "nonsense" if you are locked into a single interpretation that does not fit the conversation.
Sorry, but I am "locked into" thinking that Jesus must have known what he was talking about.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If he has truly repented and obviously is attempting to make amends, that has to factor into the equation, most especially if his transgression is of somewhat distant history. I would recommend a good Christian counselor to help repair the damage that obviously still exists.

But if there is no remorse, in my opinion adultery is a deal breaker. You are not putting aside the sacred concept of God joining you in holy matrimony. He did that. And he not only has no right to your trust but is putting you and possibly your children, if any, in jeopardy by sleeping around. I can't speak for God, but I cannot imagine you would not be forgiven, even supported, in walking away from that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, but I am "locked into" thinking that Jesus must have known what he was talking about.
Of course HE knew.

But do WE know what He was talking about??

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He obviously knew that divorce and remarriage were possible
You mean death and remarriage? If you are locked into His talk was only about adultery, that would be what you would have.

Upvote 0