Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first step is realizing you have a problem (being only half facetious, here). The first step is realizing you are a sinner and you can't do anything to save yourself. If you still hang onto trying to do something, it is not salvation. Like the old hymn says "if you tarry 'til you're better, you will never come at all".

The next thing is trusting Jesus to save you, that what He did was enough and He can save you.

It is trusting and resting. God bless you. If you have asked Him to save you, He has. The only kind of life God is offering is eternal.

Upvote 0

Heis.risen

Dec 20, 2016
GA
✟8,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well you know you are saved if

1. Old things have passed away and all things are made new (2 Corinthians 5:17)

2. You have The fruit of the Spirit in you, which will manifest (Love, joy, peace,long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance) -- Galatians 5:22-23

3. You'll begin to keep the commandments of God (1 John 2:3)

If you do not see these, that shows that you are not saved. Now if you JUST turned to Christ you'll be sanctified and these things will begin to occur, but if you have been "saved" for a while and these things do not occur still, then you have reason to question if you've really been saved. God bless ! :)

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably depends upon what church you go to, and upon what Sunday you ask the question. (And perhaps upon how much you put into the offering plate.)

That was,I hope tongue in cheek,but unfortunately,there are some who believe such hog wash.
Confess with your tongue,believe in your heart..you will be saved.It id as simple as that.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
How do do I know I am saved from sin.

Hi HI, I agree with most of what everyone has already said here, but I'll add these few thoughts too (this is hardly exhaustive, BTW).

*Do you love God and long to be in His presence?
*Are you thankful for your life in Him and awed by all that He has done for you?
*Is it your greatest desire to please/obey/glorify God in all that you do, say and think?
*Does the Bible make sense to you (in a way that it never did prior to becoming a Christian)?
*Do you long to hear God speak (through His word) and long to talk with Him (through prayer)?
*Do you agree with King David that God always knowing EVERYTHING about you is an exceedingly wonderful thing? (Psalms 139)
*Do you love your brothers and sisters in Christ and long to be in fellowship with them?
*Is the way you've led your life as a Christian radically different from the way you led your life prior to becoming one?
*Do you want to share your newfound faith with others so that they might come to know Christ as well?
*Do you "delight yourself" in Him? (Psalms 37:4)​

We are saved by grace through faith apart from works of any kind .. Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5, but we are saved ("born again" and made into wholly "new creatures" in Christ .. John 3:3; 2 Corinthians 5:17) for a purpose .. i.e. Ephesians 2:10 (good works, holy living, pleasing God, glorifying God .. cf Matthew 5:16). Though these things are not the cause of our salvation (nor do they sustain us in the faith), they are fruit of our salvation and are 'always' present in the life of someone who has come to possess the "kind" of faith that saves :)

St. James (frighteningly :eek:) tells us that there is a kind of faith (a "dead" faith) that cannot save us .. i.e. James 2:17. "Saving faith", on the other hand, is the kind of faith that results in the lifestyle changes described above. As Calvin says:

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin
So if you want to know if you are truly saved, examine your life and see if it is 1) filled with or 2) lacking the things that are always "produced" in the life of someone who has "saving" faith (IOW, is your life regularly filled with or lacking the things that "accompany" salvation .. holy living, good works, pleasing God, glorifying God .. in word/deed/thought).

Christians "act" like Christians, yes :preach: (well, most of the time anyway ;)). If someone who claims to be a Christian doesn't act like one on a regular basis, chances are extremely high that their "claim" is nothing more than that :eek:

Yours in Christ,
David

"Test yourselves to see if you are in
the faith; examine yourselves"

2 Corinthians 13:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was,I hope tongue in cheek,but unfortunately,there are some who believe such hog wash.
Confess with your tongue,believe in your heart..you will be saved.It id as simple as that.
Unfortunately, it probably does depend upon what church you go to, and upon what Sunday you ask, etc. That has been my very real experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A person’s actions need to be examined to see if they're consistent with his profession.

1 John 2:4 says.......
“If you say you know him and do not keep his Commandments, the truth is not in you and you are a liar.”

So, if someone professes to be a Christian and yet behaves in a manner contrary to that profession, then we would naturally doubt his salvation.

Do you do what you did before you accepted Jesus Christ as your Saviour?
Do you talk like you used to talk?
Do you still go out and get drunk?
Do you lie and steal and cheat others?

So, let's say that someone is confessing Christ as Savior, but is openly and unrepentantly involved in an adulterous relationship. Such lack of conviction of sin, and lack of struggle against it, is a strong indication that the person does not have the Spirit of God within him. It would be evidence that such a person is not saved.

You see, it is not what we say we are, but it is WHAT we actually do that makes the difference.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, it probably does depend upon what church you go to, and upon what Sunday you ask, etc. That has been my very real experience.

That would certainly be a starting point.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Whenever you enter into Heaven after having been judged to go there by Christ before His judgment seat. You'll know absolutely then and not before. I have reasonable hope and confidence in Christ; He has given me signs I am on the correct path here and there. But I possess NO ABSOLUTE and no Unequivocal certitude, as I've not been given any singular grace revealing the final destination of my soul in the afterlife. One cannot say otherwise; for such would be the grave sin of presumption --- presuming upon the mind of God; such that one desires at all, to avoid. Rather, one must possess humility, grace, mercy, peace, meekness, kindness, and charity. Jesus, Son of David, have mercy upon me!+ :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whenever you enter into Heaven after having been judged to go there by Christ before His judgment seat. You'll know absolutely then and not before.
No! If this is your only answer, then you need to read more that John (and Christ) wrote.

• Agree
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first step is realizing you have a problem (being only half facetious, here). The first step is realizing you are a sinner and you can't do anything to save yourself. If you still hang onto trying to do something, it is not salvation. Like the old hymn says "if you tarry 'til you're better, you will never come at all".

The next thing is trusting Jesus to save you, that what He did was enough and He can save you.

It is trusting and resting. God bless you. If you have asked Him to save you, He has. The only kind of life God is offering is eternal.
Excellent, Biblical answer! :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You will know you are saved when you die, and are welcomed into Heaven. That is truly the only time any of us can know. Other than that, it is really all a guess going back and forth with different biblical texts.

The two arguments being that either 1) You are saved at this 1 point and therefore are guaranteed heaven, and 2) You are never guaranteed and must keep striving for it.

I personally fall into the 2nd, because as human beings we can always fall and we always do. You must continue to work it and strive to become better in God's eyes. That is just my opinion however, take it or leave it.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How can you know for sure that you are saved? Don't look inside yourself for assurance. Your works and your feelings will always fall short. You can never do enough good works to be sure you are saved. Salvation doesn't come through works. You also know that you can't really trust your feelings. If you are questioning your salvation, you probably already don't feel like you are saved.

Instead, look to what God has done for you. Look outside yourself. Remember your baptism.

Acts 2:38
Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.
Acts 22:16 Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away.

Through baptism, God unites us in Christ, rescuing us from death, the wages of our sin.

Romans 6:3, 5 Don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? ... If we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be united with Him in His resurrection.
Galatians 3:27 All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Because God forgives our sins through baptism, he also works salvation. This salvation is the result of what Jesus Christ has accomplished for you by living a perfect life, dying a perfect sacrificial death, and rising to new life to show his victory over sin, death, and the devil.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.
1 Peter 3:21 This water [of Noah's flood] symbolizes baptism that now saves you also. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 6:11 You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Titus 3:5-7 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you have heartfelt conviction of your sin you are in a saved state, for the law has been placed on your heart. Coupled with that happening is your sins and lawless deeds will be remembered no more.
That's the new covenant.
No heartfelt conviction of sin before God means you have not been born again, then you are in an unsaved state

Upvote 0