• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do I get past the depression and anxiety?

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I have about a half of a cigarette left before I have to run in town and get some more, which I really don't want to. When I stop smoking, I get depressed and anxious even more than I already am. I have a lot of anxiety problems already. I know that I just have to do it. I can't keep perpetuating this, but does anyone have any advice for me?

What should I do, just wait until my anxiety gets better, or try to quit now? Also I think smoking causes more anxiety...so it's like ARGH what do I do?? :confused:

Sep 29, 2008
San Diego, CA
✟10,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nicotine is a relaxent when your receptors recieve it, but the thing is, if you never started smoking, your brain would not be programmed like this. I was able to quit a 15 year smoking habit with the aid of "the patch" without additional aid, but in addition to this, I was also so ticked off at the habit controlling me that I was able to keep my focus on quitting.

With your anxiety issues, I recommend asking your doctor for help stopping the habit. Zyban is an antidepressant, and also helps to block the nicotine receptors, so the anxiety as well as habit would be adressed.

When quitting smoking, you also need to remember that part of the habit is an oral fixation, so you need to plan on having something handy for your mouth to do (toothpick, gum, etc.). The fixation is why many complain about gaining weight when quitting, because they do not have a resource handy to accompany their oral fixation, so they eat.

I'm no expert, but I was able to defeat this habit realizing what I've written.

Upvote 0

J0sh8830

Sep 1, 2009
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey guys! I was gonna start a new thread, but this one is great! Onmywaytofreedom is right, you may want to check with your doctor first if you have pre-existing anxiety issues. To add onto his words of wisdom...I was a smoker for nearly 9 years before I quit...the problem is I only lasted for 6 months. While it was such a short period of time, once you get past the withdrawal symptoms, you will feel so MUCH better. I put out my last cigarette 6 days ago, so pray for me too. But Aaliyah, you can do it for sure! Here is the worst part for me, This last week I seem to have gotten alot of the withdrawal symptoms...tightness in my chest, depression, anxiety, nausea...The anxiety is bad, but instead of lighting up I keep telling myself...I will feel better once I am past this! And you will, the last 6 months were the best in my life! Weight gain wasn't a problem for me because I'm pretty active and work out too. But if you're mind is set, you can do it! Try taking walks, or cycling...chewing cinammon gum helped me immensely. I quit cold turkey this time, but the last time I used the cappucino lozenges, they work and are good for curbing your cravings slowly. Just keep up with it, and heres the most important part..if you slip up..DO NOT criticize yourself! That only causes harm! I'll pray for you and wish me luck too, I want this to be my final time to quit...

Josh

Upvote 0

EliasJohn

Oct 16, 2022
San Diego
✟15,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Nicotine is a relaxent when your receptors recieve it, but the thing is, if you never started smoking, your brain would not be programmed like this. I was able to quit a 15 year smoking habit with the aid of "the patch" without additional aid, but in addition to this, I was also so ticked off at the habit controlling me that I was able to keep my focus on quitting.

With your anxiety issues, I recommend asking your doctor for help stopping the habit. Zyban is an antidepressant, and also helps to block the nicotine receptors, so the anxiety as well as habit would be adressed.

When quitting smoking, you also need to remember that part of the habit is an oral fixation, so you need to plan on having something handy for your mouth to do (toothpick, gum, etc.). The fixation is why many complain about gaining weight when quitting, because they do not have a resource handy to accompany their oral fixation, so they eat.

I'm no expert, but I was able to defeat this habit realizing what I've written.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I have about a half of a cigarette left before I have to run in town and get some more, which I really don't want to. When I stop smoking, I get depressed and anxious even more than I already am. I have a lot of anxiety problems already. I know that I just have to do it. I can't keep perpetuating this, but does anyone have any advice for me?

What should I do, just wait until my anxiety gets better, or try to quit now? Also I think smoking causes more anxiety...so it's like ARGH what do I do?? :confused:
May God Bless You. Do not force yourself to quit smoking. Let the Lord help you to quit. First pray for the cigarette and ask the Lord to help you quit by send his power in the cigarette. Imagine the cigarette receiving the power of the Christ and imagine the power of the Christ entering your whole body every time you inhale it. Picture that smoke as the smoke from the heavens driving out that desire out of your body. Pray this prayer before you smoke a cigarette.
In the name of the living Christ. I demand that you leave me and keep away. I demand that you begone.
AMEN.
repeat it everyday until you drive out all that desire. It is not easy to drive out a habit or addiction. Please be patient.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You have already figured out that the positive intention for smoking is to reduce anxiety and that you need to find another a way to reduce anxiety without the negatives of smoking.

Reduce your stress and will likely reduce your anxiety and your need to smoke. A positive way to reduce stress it with guided meditation. YouTube has dozens of guided videos for meditation, stress and anxiety. If you check out youtube, I suggest the Jason Stephenson videos which are among the best there.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2022
San Antonio, TX
✟16,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for having the strength to make this post! Medical help can definitely make things easier, but learning to rely on God and the strength that he gives us is what helped me start making long-term changes in my life.

Although I’ve never struggled with cigarettes, I’ve struggled with over eating junk food and sweets, and when I decided to do some thing about it, I found that I couldn't make those changes long term, it made me think negative things about myself.

This may not be the case for you, and if it’s not, then don’t worry about it. But What I had to do was to pray for God‘s insight, God‘s wisdom, and God's strength, then ask God for insight and be honest with myself. If I can’t make myself quit overeating, then what shortcoming, what negative beliefs about myself are holding me back?

When I prayerfully thought about it, I realized that I see myself as a weak person, and I see myself as a sneaky person who enjoys getting away with eating food that isn’t good for me. It was hard to admit that at first, but then I was able to ask God to forgive me those weaknesses and forgive me for my sneakiness, and teach me and guide me.

He then taught me to also forgive myself for being sneaky and weak and follow those beliefs back to their origins. To ask myself, "where did those beliefs start? I realized I was still hurting over how my father treated me as a child, so I began forgiving him for the things he did and asked God to forgive me too for all the sneaky and weak choices I'd made.

With that forgiveness came a new and positive sense of self that hadn’t been there before, and I'm continuing to question my negative emotions and what they're rooted in, so that I can bring those hurts and shame before God and forgive them.

The other thing that God taught me is that I will have to suffer to make changes. Old habits don’t ever go away, and we have to persist, Especially when we feel bad, to become more like Jesus, and to live into the promises he made for us. I’ve currently lost about 55 pounds from my highest weight. , When I want to eat things that aren't good for me, I start praying, and I don’t stop until the cravings have passed. I tell myself, “if Jesus can suffer and bring himself to die on the cross, I can suffer and do without that candy bar!“

Finally, every day when I pray, I end it with asking God to transform me into the man he created me to be. And I put my life in his hands. When I do that, it changes my thinking and how I perceive things, and I continue to have insights and growth that was just not possible before!

I hope this helps, and I pray that God guides you to a future of health, happiness, and blessings!
:)

Steve

Upvote 0