How do atheists feel about altruism?

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Christians are supposed to be nice to people because Jesus said, 'As you do for the least of you you do for me.' Meaning if you give a cold hungry bum a meal and a coat you just did that for a cold hungry Jesus which gets you brownie points come judgement day. Do atheists do such kind things for people? If so why, why not?

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Christians are supposed to be nice to people because Jesus said, 'As you do for the least of you you do for me.' Meaning if you give a cold hungry bum a meal and a coat you just did that for a cold hungry Jesus which gets you brownie points come judgement day. Do atheists do such kind things for people? If so why, why not?

Depends on the atheist.

Upvote 0

rockaction

Jul 15, 2010
✟1,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"Atheism" is not a belief system. It's is merely the statement "I am not convinced by theism". Atheists can ascribe to any moral philosophy they want. Most modern atheists that you'd run into are secular humanists. Humanism would simply be a moral philosophy that minimizes human suffering, so altruism fits rather neatly into it.

Upvote 0

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"Atheism" is not a belief system. It's is merely the statement "I am not convinced by theism". Atheists can ascribe to any moral philosophy they want. Most modern atheists that you'd run into are secular humanists. Humanism would simply be a moral philosophy that minimizes human suffering, so altruism fits rather neatly into it.

But are they as inclined to act on that philosophy as Christians would be inclined to act on theirs?

Upvote 0

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others

May I just point out that there is a bit of a flaw with your premise from the start, your not describing altruism there.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
But are they as inclined to act on that philosophy as Christians would be inclined to act on theirs?

I would say that an atheist probably would be as inclined to act on whatever moral philosophy he has as much as any other person would be. I mean is that not the point of having a moral philosophy.

And this is ignoring Matt's very good point that what you described is not altruism.

Upvote 0

rockaction

Jul 15, 2010
✟1,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Wait, I totally missed this. THAT, to you, is altruism? Altruism is by definition an act for someone else that is unrewarded. Is this really what drives your morality? A pay-off in the afterlife?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Wait, I totally missed this. THAT, to you, is altruism? Altruism is by definition an act for someone else that is unrewarded. Is this really what drives your morality? A pay-off in the afterlife?

Agnostic here. By a strict no reward measure I do not engage in altruism. I help those I feel good about helping. That does not always mean those I feel good about being near. Things do change based on my mood.

I'll help the helpless. I'm far less apt to help the able bodied who choose to beg. However I've now decided and put into action a policy of giving to those who are picking through trash cans hopefully loking for cans and bottles to redeem.

But no strict altruism. I give when I get my reward right away in how I feel about rendering aid.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Yes, and I have a hard time understanding why anyone would need this Jesus/judgement crutch for doing it. But I´m happy for any help people give each other, even if it is for reasons that appear strange to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Fourth Horseman

Logic is my god
Nov 24, 2010
✟7,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I think most Athiests would agree its kind of a Golden Rule approach. Do unto others as you would have other do unto you type of deal. Contrary to what most Christinas believe Athiests are not Satanic hellsapwn who eat children and worship Darwin. I see far to many poeple who beleive that, it's rather disturbing.

Upvote 0

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think most Athiests would agree its kind of a Golden Rule approach. Do unto others as you would have other do unto you type of deal. Contrary to what most Christinas believe Athiests are not Satanic hellsapwn who eat children and worship Darwin. I see far to many poeple who beleive that, it's rather disturbing.

Many Christian churches financially support things like orphanages and food pantries. Do atheists support such things beyond lip service?

I don't think atheists are bad people so much as I wonder if what drives them to do good is as powerful as those who believe God is watching them so they better be nice or else. I'm thinking Nitzche versus Plato. Plato/Socrates was all concerned about good and Nitzche said its all pointless. One believed in God and the other did not.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think atheists are bad people so much as I wonder if what drives them to do good is as powerful as those who believe God is watching them so they better be nice or else.

And I think the general consensus so far in this thread is that if you are only doing good because someone is watching, then you are doing it for (what most in this topic would think) the wrong reasons.

Whereas, under your rationale, if an atheist does support such things, it would be because said person wanted to with no thought to the punishment for not doing so.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven't seen all that many Christians inclined to act on that philosophy (what you do for the least of men etc), so I'd say probably atheists are as inclined.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Depends on the person, as it does with theists.

For me, it depends on my mood. I occasionally help people, though even that is not selfless. Helping other people helps one to feel good about themselves.

I'm fairly mystanthropic, so I'm not a good example of altruism. Other atheists, though, maybe some others on this forum, could be fine examples of kindness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And I think the general consensus so far in this thread is that if you are only doing good because someone is watching, then you are doing it for (what most in this topic would think) the wrong reasons.

A hungry person doesn't much care why someone was kind enough to give them a sandwich.

Whereas, under your rationale, if an atheist does support such things, it would be because said person wanted to with no thought to the punishment for not doing so.

Christians do this too. Many people turn a blind eye to those in need. I just wonder if its easier for people who do not believe in God to do it than it is for the believers.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2010
✟15,330.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Atheism has really no rules on morality, we do it because we are our own moral authority and because we know right from wrong(sometimes depends on the individual). I also don't have a clue what you mean by christians being 'inclined' to act on their morals because if you are I have yet to see it in action noticably different than any other group. One last thing, as to why we don't do orphanages and charities and that jazz, we are not a religion we don't have the numbers or the organization to acomplish those tasks on the scale Christians so. I believe the atheist community of austin may give to some charities but I'm not sure, other than that we typically give on the individual scale to ,get this, secular and christian charities.

Upvote 0

rockaction

Jul 15, 2010
✟1,048.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A hungry person doesn't much care why someone was kind enough to give them a sandwich.

Ethics is not the study of things that are "right"...ethics is the study of "why things are right". Your ethical theory, based on these posts, would be a very hollow one. You only help others out of fear of God.

How old are you? Because you're building your philosophy out of Duplo blocks. I can't imagine someone who's taken a college-level philosophy or ethics class to be seriously asking these questions.

Upvote 0

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ethics is not the study of things that are "right"...ethics is the study of "why things are right". Your ethical theory, based on these posts, would be a very hollow one. You only help others out of fear of God.

How old are you? Because you're building your philosophy out of Duplo blocks. I can't imagine someone who's taken a college-level philosophy or ethics class to be seriously asking these questions.

If I was as smart as you I wouldn't have so many questions for the forum. If I was as insulting as you I wouldn't have as many friends as I do. On balance, I'm comfortable with my AA, BS, and doctorate despite your pricklyness. If its any consolation, I did not major in philosophy.

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Meh. Although some are spiritual, most of the people in my immediate family are atheists or agnostics or both. My mom's probably the most altruistic of the lot of us--she does a lot of volunteering for local causes and once biked a hundred miles (and raised a lot of money, a thousand dollars despite the fact that we were below the poverty line ourselves at the time) for leukemia research--and she doesn't know anyone with leukemia even. It took her months.

Of the rest of us, I almost always give homeless people whatever I can spare, especially when it's cold outside. This winter is particularly bad. I know there are rationals against doing that--that they'll only buy booze or drugs or waste it--but I figure if you're going to give someone a bit of money you shouldn't be judgmental about what they do with it. Regardless of how they got there, all I know is that their lives are much less happy and comfortable than mine, and if they want to spend my five dollars on a bit of liquor that makes them feel better for an hour or two I can't blame them, though I tend to hope they'll buy a real good sandwich instead, if only because it would be more satisfying in the long term.

I can't do much for charitees now, too busy and poor trying to get my degree, but there are a few that I will definitely support when I am in a better position to do so. For now I just ask for Heifer International gifts for christmas and birthday presents.

My brother once gave a guy forty dollars--a lot when you're a poor student without a job--for a bus ticket back home because the guy had just found out his mother was in critical condition from a car crash. He promised to pay my brother back, but never did. We never met him before or saw him again, but he seemed genuinely upset and my brother never hesitated to help. I would have myself but I was completely broke at the time.

All of my siblings have that sort of generous streak. We're quick to pick up a tab or help out a friend or even a stranger, or to volunteer our time or energy or resourses for free. It probably means we'll never be rich, no matter what kinds of jobs we end up getting. You don't get to the top by giving it all away.

So, how do atheists feel about altruism? Well I can't speak for every atheist out there, but of the ones I know it seems we don't feel anything about it at all. We were raised to treat people with love, dignity, and respect. We don't always live up to those ideals, but we do try, and a certain kind of altruism just kind of comes as part of the package.

Upvote 0