Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! As a young minister, I am wondering if all you other ministers could share how you got started into the ministry? I am licensed with my organization, I am currently praying for a door to open in ministry (assisting or pastoring), sometimes it seems like age can be a barrier. Recently, I moved with my wife from a beautiful country church, where I was one of the only other licensed ministers to assist, to a city church of 400+ people where there are 20 other ministers in the congregation; this obviously limits my ability to assist and gain first hand experience (although I still help in various ways). Please share how you got your "foot in the door" and how your ministry progressed over time. I look forward to reading your responses! God bless.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I helped where I could and stayed constant in prayer. It is not about how can I serve you God but where do you want me?

After some time the Senior Pastor took notice of my efforts and I eventually became Assistant Pastor, College Pastor and Men's Minister

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I helped where I could and stayed constant in prayer. It is not about how can I serve you God but where do you want me?

After some time the Senior Pastor took notice of my efforts and I eventually became Assistant Pastor, College Pastor and Men's Minister
That is awesome, thank you for your response. I am also trying to stay sensitive to the Spirit and be in continual prayer. I believe God has somewhere all picked out for us, but it is all in his perfect timing.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I became a Christian at college though a parachurch group called the Navigators. They discipled me and gave me ministry opportunities. At that time I received a call into missionary work.

After college, I helped open a new branch of the Navigators on a different campus, while being trained by a missionary on furlough. After that, I took a 3-month mission trip to the Philippines. Returning from the Philippines, I joined the Christian and Missionary Alliance and help establish an extension church in my college town, where I became a junior deacon.

After three years, I went to the C&MA Seminary to be trained as a missionary. While at Seminary, I became a youth leader and later a youth pastor at a Taiwanese church in New Jersey. It that time, I was planning on becoming a full time missionary with the C&MA. However, they changed their mission policy after I graduated and stopped sending people to Taiwan, where I felt called to go.

So, after 4 years of seminary + work/ministry, I moved to Taiwan to assist the local church, as a self-supported missionary/English teacher. I have been helping my main church and other churches in Taiwan for the past 25 years.

I have 2 general lessons from all this:
1. Most of my opportunities have come from people who already know me and my ministry. Applications and resumes have little effect.

2. If you don't care about money, power, or prestige there are a vast array of ministry opportunities available. Just start something and show what you can do, learning and growing from your mistakes in small ministries.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark, my roommate from Seminary moved to Taiwan a few years ago. He ended up doing all the things that I had wanted to do. It seems that after I quit the denomination, they changed the rules.

1. I asked to intern at a Chinese congregation in America to better prepare for ministry overseas to Chinese. Denominational leaders said that was impossible. Mark got to intern at the Chinese-American church that we used to go to- but in the end, Mark had a falling out with the pastor.

2. I initially wanted to minister in China, but was told that was impossible. Mark (and others) went to be an official missionary to China, representing the C&MA. Surprisingly, Mark was not happy in China and transferred to Taiwan. Later in Taiwan, he fell in love with a local Taiwanese Christian woman and had to leave the ministry (C&MA foreign mission regulations) in order to marry her. He's happier now, but starting from scratch in his 50's.

Now we have very similar lives, both married to local Christians, teaching English to make money and ministering in our spare time, though in different cities. I am confident that God did not want me to pursue my early dreams. The fact is, that my roommate did all the things that I was forbidden to do, yet even though he was successful, ultimately he was not happy. I would likely have been unhappy and probably failed in addition.

ps. The seminary classmate that I had wanted to marry, died. Though, as she was a brittle diabetic, I was not surprised. She was one of the three most spiritual people in seminary during my time there. Another of the three bounced around as a pastor to different denominations and last I checked was a librarian. The other one left the ministry and his wife and is living as an artist.

The point of all this is that you just never know the future. All of your disappointments may be designed to lead you down God's chosen path for you. Conversely, all your planning, all your striving and all that people praise you for may amount to nothing.

Proverbs 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the Lord establishes their steps.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! As a young minister, I am wondering if all you other ministers could share how you got started into the ministry? I am licensed with my organization, I am currently praying for a door to open in ministry (assisting or pastoring), sometimes it seems like age can be a barrier. Recently, I moved with my wife from a beautiful country church, where I was one of the only other licensed ministers to assist, to a city church of 400+ people where there are 20 other ministers in the congregation; this obviously limits my ability to assist and gain first hand experience (although I still help in various ways). Please share how you got your "foot in the door" and how your ministry progressed over time. I look forward to reading your responses! God bless.
  1. What's your age?
  2. What level of education have you achieved?
  3. What's your denomination?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mark, my roommate from Seminary moved to Taiwan a few years ago. He ended up doing all the things that I had wanted to do. It seems that after I quit the denomination, they changed the rules.

1. I asked to intern at a Chinese congregation in America to better prepare for ministry overseas to Chinese. Denominational leaders said that was impossible. Mark got to intern at the Chinese-American church that we used to go to- but in the end, Mark had a falling out with the pastor.

2. I initially wanted to minister in China, but was told that was impossible. Mark (and others) went to be an official missionary to China, representing the C&MA. Surprisingly, Mark was not happy in China and transferred to Taiwan. Later in Taiwan, he fell in love with a local Taiwanese Christian woman and had to leave the ministry (C&MA foreign mission regulations) in order to marry her. He's happier now, but starting from scratch in his 50's.

Now we have very similar lives, both married to local Christians, teaching English to make money and ministering in our spare time, though in different cities. I am confident that God did not want me to pursue my early dreams. The fact is, that my roommate did all the things that I was forbidden to do, yet even though he was successful, ultimately he was not happy. I would likely have been unhappy and probably failed in addition.

ps. The seminary classmate that I had wanted to marry, died. Though, as she was a brittle diabetic, I was not surprised. She was one of the three most spiritual people in seminary during my time there. Another of the three bounced around as a pastor to different denominations and last I checked was a librarian. The other one left the ministry and his wife and is living as an artist.

The point of all this is that you just never know the future. All of your disappointments may be designed to lead you down God's chosen path for you. Conversely, all your planning, all your striving and all that people praise you for may amount to nothing.

Proverbs 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the Lord establishes their steps.
Wow, thank you so much for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading that. It is interesting how God weaves everything together to make it the way it is supposed to be (disappointments and all). Thank-you again for sharing this.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
  1. What's your age?
  2. What level of education have you achieved?
  3. What's your denomination?
1. I'm still early in my ministry career/life, mid twenties (but I've had some good experience assisting at a church thus far)
2. I am currently working on my Masters in psychology (pursing a Ph.D thereafter)
3. I am Pentecostal

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know a lot about how Pentecostals do things, but the Anglican church where I am has a programme called a "year of discernment," which is designed to help people who maybe feel called to ministry, work out if so and to what. So after I had a sense of call, I went through that process. At that point I'd volunteered in my parish doing various sorts of things (youth ministry, being involved in the music team mostly).

After the year of discernment, it seemed right to me to apply for ordination, and after a selection process I was accepted. So I went to theological college (seminary) and earned an MDiv and Advanced Dip Min (I already had a BSc). Part of that process involved me in various field placements; three years in parishes (one year in each), one year in the Cathedral and one year with a social welfare agency. I also picked up some ongoing casual work out of the Cathedral placement, doing administrative work and as a verger for a few years. That was invaluable experience.

I'd echo what Peter posted earlier; most of my opportunities have come out of people knowing me. The two assistant roles I've had since being ordained were both working under people I did field placements with. Now I'm about to start my first "in charge" role, and one of the selection committee for that role already knew me from some of my previous work. I see it as, if you're faithful in small things, people will notice and be more willing to offer you bigger things.

So I guess, looking at my experience, I'd say if you're serious about ministry, why are you studying psychology instead of theology? I mean, it'll be great for pastoral care, but it won't equip you for the breadth of a ministry role.

I know you said you're licensed, but what does that mean, for a Pentecostal? If you wanted to work full time in ministry would you need to seek ordination?

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know a lot about how Pentecostals do things, but the Anglican church where I am has a programme called a "year of discernment," which is designed to help people who maybe feel called to ministry, work out if so and to what. So after I had a sense of call, I went through that process. At that point I'd volunteered in my parish doing various sorts of things (youth ministry, being involved in the music team mostly).

After the year of discernment, it seemed right to me to apply for ordination, and after a selection process I was accepted. So I went to theological college (seminary) and earned an MDiv and Advanced Dip Min (I already had a BSc). Part of that process involved me in various field placements; three years in parishes, one year in the Cathedral and one year with a social welfare agency. I also picked up some ongoing casual work out of the Cathedral placement, doing administrative work and as a verger. That was invaluable experience.

I'd echo what Peter posted earlier; most of my opportunities have come out of people knowing me. The two assistant roles I've had since being ordained were both working under people I did field placements with. Now I'm about to start my first "in charge" role, and one of the selection committee for that role already knew me from some of my previous work. I see it as, if you're faithful in small things, people will notice and be more willing to offer you bigger things.

So I guess, looking at my experience, I'd say if you're serious about ministry, why are you studying psychology instead of theology? I mean, it'll be great for pastoral care, but it won't equip you for the breadth of a ministry role.

I know you said you're licensed, but what does that mean, for a Pentecostal? If you wanted to work full time in ministry would you need to seek ordination?
Licensing means I am a minister, however, we have different levels of licensing. I have the level where I am able to pastor and have all other "privledges" of a regular minister. I am studying psychology because that is something that I find would be useful in ministry. For instance, if I pastor a small church (which most are in my area), I will be able to make a living by teaching at university while not having to take money out of a small congregation, instead it could go to outreach or helping those in need in the community. Also, psychology comes in handy with Counselling, which has many legalities surrounding it. Overall, I think my choice to be in psychology will help rather than hinder my ministry.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

After the year of discernment, it seemed right to me to apply for ordination, and after a selection process I was accepted. So I went to theological college (seminary) and earned an MDiv and Advanced Dip Min (I already had a BSc). Part of that process involved me in various field placements; three years in parishes (one year in each), one year in the Cathedral and one year with a social welfare agency. I also picked up some ongoing casual work out of the Cathedral placement, doing administrative work and as a verger for a few years. That was invaluable experience.

Also, I definitely agree that most most opportunities I have had so far have some from people knowing me and my reputation from volunteer roles. As one person said, people often hear about you (good or bad) long before meeting you :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Don't misunderstand me, psychology is valuable and I wish I had more background in it (I did one semester in my BSc but decided I preferred physics... :doh:).

I'm more concerned that going into ministry with a strong set of psychological skills, but not so much in, say, languages, Biblical studies, theology, church history, ethics, liturgy, preaching, spirituality, social justice, evangelism, leadership and all the other stuff that makes up the fabric of day-to-day life in ministry, will mean that (to use a metaphor) you've got one really great tool in your kit, but the other tools which should be there might not be. If that makes sense?

If nothing else I'd really encourage you to find a way to do either some Hebrew or Greek, which will help you enormously in getting the most out of Scripture and offering that to your congregation.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Don't misunderstand me, psychology is valuable and I wish I had more background in it (I did one semester in my BSc but decided I preferred physics... :doh:).

I'm more concerned that going into ministry with a strong set of psychological skills, but not so much in, say, languages, Biblical studies, theology, church history, ethics, liturgy, preaching, spirituality, social justice, evangelism, leadership and all the other stuff that makes up the fabric of day-to-day life in ministry, will mean that (to use a metaphor) you've got one really great tool in your kit, but the other tools which should be there might not be. If that makes sense?

If nothing else I'd really encourage you to find a way to do either some Hebrew or Greek, which will help you enormously in getting the most out of Scripture and offering that to your congregation.
Oh no, I do understand what you're saying, and I don't take offence. I guess I learned in ministry in a more hands on way. I worked directly with my pastor for several years, he "showed me the ropes" of pastoring. I have done a lot of preaching, studying, visiting in the community/hospital, etc... with him, and I was the youth pastor and on the leadership board of my church. I have also taken some Greek/ Hebrew and other pastoral classes online via distance education to learn more. I guess my "formal" education is psychology, however, my ministry experience came from hands on sources, which I forgot to mention above. I was blessed to have a great mentor over the past few years to take me under his wing. What you have said makes sense though, and I appreciate your response and advice :)

Upvote 0

ShawnV78

Jul 13, 2017
Jessup, MD
✟15,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I felt called at a young age but growing up I was painfully shy. So I always replied to my calling, "not me, you must be calling someone else." I grew up in the United Methodist Church and was always active. Out of High school I became active as a youth leader, involved in drama ministry and choir. Very active in many different roles of the church. When the UMC offered classes to become a Certified Lay Minister which would certify a lay person to be the back up for the lead pastor as well as possible opportunities to fill openings in small congregations, I jumped at the opportunity. I still at this point in my twenties only saw this as an opportunity to help the pastor and not lead to becoming a lead pastor myself.

I'm now 39 and 2 years ago started exploring ministry through the UMC as a Local Pastor. I was blessed with an opportunity to serve as lead pastor to a congregation in need of a pastor. After prayer I accepted and just celebrated my first full year with them. I've had a lot of class time through the church am about to start taking seminary classes to become a Licensed Local Pastor.

I'm right there with you in your experience. My ministry started with a hands on approach and pastors taking me under their wing and giving me many different opportunities. As a certified lay minister I was given the opportunity to lead our weekly praise and worship service for a couple years before my appointment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I felt called at a young age but growing up I was painfully shy. So I always replied to my calling, "not me, you must be calling someone else." I grew up in the United Methodist Church and was always active. Out of High school I became active as a youth leader, involved in drama ministry and choir. Very active in many different roles of the church. When the UMC offered classes to become a Certified Lay Minister which would certify a lay person to be the back up for the lead pastor as well as possible opportunities to fill openings in small congregations, I jumped at the opportunity. I still at this point in my twenties only saw this as an opportunity to help the pastor and not lead to becoming a lead pastor myself.

I'm now 39 and 2 years ago started exploring ministry through the UMC as a Local Pastor. I was blessed with an opportunity to serve as lead pastor to a congregation in need of a pastor. After prayer I accepted and just celebrated my first full year with them. I've had a lot of class time through the church am about to start taking seminary classes to become a Licensed Local Pastor.

I'm right there with you in your experience. My ministry started with a hands on approach and pastors taking me under their wing and giving me many different opportunities. As a certified lay minister I was given the opportunity to lead our weekly praise and worship service for a couple years before my appointment.
Thanks so much for this reply ShawnV78. I see a lot of similarities between our stories! I was very thankful to have the hands on experience with my Pastor, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Congratulations on your first year of pastoring, I really enjoyed reading your post. God bless.

Upvote 0