Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In a small country like Sweden, it's very unchristian if having very high expectations to publicly put down an academic institution. It's too difficult already to enter the greatest universities:

The only reason I asked you, is because you complained about the libraries being poor, at universities in Sweden. You made a generalised statement. As this, is not a complaint I've heard from other students, I was wanting to know, which universities your complaints were about.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering how many people went to college and took out loans, or on the flip side payed for your College out of your pocket?
I go to a private university, so tuition is over $30k a year, and then there's housing on top of that. My scholarships cover about 2/3 of tuition. I also receive several grants. That leaves a few thousand dollars a year, and my parents have tried to pay as much of it as possible. I'll graduate with a couple of relatively small loans.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The only reason I asked you, is because you complained about the libraries being poor, at universities in Sweden. You made a generalised statement. As this, is not a complaint I've heard from other students, I was wanting to know, which universities your complaints were about.

I've heard people complain a library is poor because it lacks what they are looking for.

That is not a fair measure. Poor should mean it lacks what one would reasonably expect.

Decades ago I did some research regarding claims made about the life and death of D. Bonhoeffer. I did not expect a typical public library or a typical university library to have what I needed, which was multiple works by eye witnesses and fairly early works. I would expect a university Library to have one or two, but not the large number I desired.

So I went straight to Fuller Theological Seminary. Bingo. And I had enough to definitively show the claims were false and that there was no excuse for getting things wrong.

Upvote 0
P

pittsflyer

People can always do interlibrary loan as well and then just copy the pages they need.

I've heard people complain a library is poor because it lacks what they are looking for.

That is not a fair measure. Poor should mean it lacks what one would reasonably expect.

Decades ago I did some research regarding claims made about the life and death of D. Bonhoeffer. I did not expect a typical public library or a typical university library to have what I needed, which was multiple works by eye witnesses and fairly early works. I would expect a university Library to have one or two, but not the large number I desired.

So I went straight to Fuller Theological Seminary. Bingo. And I had enough to definitively show the claims were false and that there was no excuse for getting things wrong.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Educate yourselves...

Calculating for inflation...
Yale tuition in 1970: $14,917.5
Minimum wage: $8.80

All you need to do is google and you'll get the sources.
Another fun fact: If you make minimum wage (and aren't a dependent) and get into Yale, it's free! In fact, any student or family making less than $65,000 owes absolutely nothing (x). Harvard has the same policy.

To be fair, the problem you cited holds true for the majority of colleges, but any institution in the first couple of tiers has more than enough money from funding/alumni to meet the financial need of students.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Another fun fact: If you make minimum wage (and aren't a dependent) and get into Yale, it's free! In fact, any student or family making less than $65,000 owes absolutely nothing (x). Harvard has the same policy.

To be fair, the problem you cited holds true for the majority of colleges, but any institution in the first couple of tiers has more than enough money from funding/alumni to meet the financial need of students.

And once again it is the middle class that gets the raw deal. Especially lower middle class. They make too much to get this deal or anything close to it.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And once again it is the middle class that gets the raw deal. Especially lower middle class. They make too much to get this deal or anything close to it.
I hear this a lot, but I don't see the basis for it. Financial aid isn't all or nothing. Need-based aid is always based on the family's calculated EFC and will therefore be proportionate to the amount of need, whether you're looking at a lower class family or a millionaire. For example, Harvard:
  • 20% of our parents have total incomes less than $65,000 and are not expected to contribute.
  • Families with incomes between $65,000 and $150,000 will contribute from 0-10% of their income, and those with incomes above $150,000 will be asked to pay proportionately more than 10%, based on their individual circumstances.
  • Families at all income levels who have significant assets will continue to pay more than those in less fortunate circumstances.
(x)

Of course, as I said, the majority of colleges can only meet the demonstrated need of students if you count loans, which eventually need to be paid back. It's only the higher leagues that will meet the need through scholarships and grants.

Frankly, the people that I usually hear say this are the ones who expect the government to make up the difference when they decide to spend money on things like vacations instead of college. They don't realize that the money is going to the people who didn't have that option to begin with. But thus is the first world. Many people live beyond their means without knowing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I hear this a lot, but I don't see the basis for it. Financial aid isn't all or nothing. Need-based aid is always based on the family's calculated EFC and will therefore be proportionate to the amount of need, whether you're looking at a lower class family or a millionaire. For example, Harvard:

(x)

Of course, as I said, the majority of colleges can only meet the demonstrated need of students if you count loans, which eventually need to be paid back. It's only the higher leagues that will meet the need through scholarships and grants.

Frankly, the people that I usually hear say this are the ones who expect the government to make up the difference when they decide to spend money on things like vacations instead of college. They don't realize that the money is going to the people who didn't have that option to begin with. But thus is the first world. Many people live beyond their means without knowing it.

I tended to hear it from those who had planned and saved, perhaps forgoing those vacations only to find all savings counted against them on the need calculations so their planning was for naught.

I was not in that class. My parents did well enough that their planning meant any school I could get into I could afford tuition for.

My impression is also that those planning for college have declined in numbers for this very reason.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
My impression is also that those planning for college have declined in numbers for this very reason.
No, the percentage of young people obtaining bachelor's degrees has never experienced a downward trend. 34% for 25-29 year olds currently, which is the highest ever (x).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, the percentage of young people obtaining bachelor's degrees has never experienced a downward trend. 34% for 25-29 year olds currently, which is the highest ever (x).

There is a difference between those going to college and those (whose parents) made good financial plans for college.

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Call me an idiot here on many levels.
But I live in Hawai'i and am trying to get Fafsa done just so I can dabble with a PLA course since I have business experience (and a slow business month so no money really). What are my chances for getting a little aid since I'm more or less an atypical broke student?
I know it's a later filing, but I don't need much money, and worst case I can aim for fall semester. Just this whole system confuses the heck out of me, although I've almost nailed all the additional paperwork they want.

Upvote 0