Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do. The Son of God appeared to so many people in the OT that either He already had a body or assumed a human body in these appearances.

Not necessarily. It's not a necessary conclusion.

This makes sense.
We believe that Jesus had a spirit body before he was born as did we. Several things happened before we were born:

(New Testament | Revelation 12:7 - 12)

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Angels are spirits:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:13 - 14)

13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That is not the case. And I've spent literally hundreds of hours explaining this term (homoousios) to you, so I'm not going to spend any more time doing that. Re-read our old conversations, if you must. Or maybe someone else will explain it to you.
Forget the word homoousios, it is a difficult word to get your arms around.

Is the 2nd Person of the Trinity, the Son, anthropomorphic?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is the 2nd Person of the Trinity, the Son, anthropomorphic?

Well He was incarnate as a human person, so in that sense, yes. I mean, there is the idea that since anthropomorphism is technically the attribution of human characteristics to something not human, this might not be the best term to use (as Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is a human person), but probably most people don't use it that way in the first place, as there is the additional definition of "having human characteristics", which of course the Son of God has. Hence He makes a very big deal of proving to the disciples after His resurrection that He is a flesh and blood person, not some kind of phantasm, and we too affirm St. Thomas' exclamation "My Lord and my God!", which he said while placing his hand in Jesus' side. His side that He had because He had a human body. Because He was incarnate as a human man.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We believe that Jesus had a spirit body before he was born
Except that the Son of God appeared to Adam, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Gideon and others in a human body. One possibility is that it is the body He acquired at the incarnation: some sort of time travel. This is not something I would teach in church but I can speculate about it in a private conversation.

as did we.
Origen believed in pre-existence of the soul, but that our souls were created by God. This is based on Jer 1:5 and Rom 9:11-14. I've known people whose theology is otherwise quite orthodox who believe this. But, only LDS believe we were begotten of the Father like the Son of God is, which is a serious error as it makes us of the same essence / nature / being (homoousion) as the Father and the Son. Pre-existence of the soul was condemned as heresy in the 2nd Council of Constantinople in AD 553.

Several things happened before we were born: (New Testament | Revelation 12:7 - 12) 7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
Rev 12 starts with a description of the birth of Christ, which implies that the war in heaven took place after His incarnation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We believe that Jesus had a spirit body before he was born as did we. Several things happened before we were born:

(New Testament | Revelation 12:7 - 12)

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Angels are spirits:

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:13 - 14)

13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

God the Father is a Spirit. LDS teach that He is an exalted man. So if you believe an angel is a spirit that doesn't mean that an angel isn't a resurrected man. Resurrected humans who weren't righteous enough to become gods and goddeses become angels according to Mormonism.

"The truth is, my beloved brethren and sisters, man is a child of God—a God in embryo."
-President Marion G. Romney
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

Man—A Child of God

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well He was incarnate as a human person, so in that sense, yes. I mean, there is the idea that since anthropomorphism is technically the attribution of human characteristics to something not human, this might not be the best term to use (as Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is a human person), but probably most people don't use it that way in the first place, as there is the additional definition of "having human characteristics", which of course the Son of God has. Hence He makes a very big deal of proving to the disciples after His resurrection that He is a flesh and blood person, not some kind of phantasm, and we too affirm St. Thomas' exclamation "My Lord and my God!", which he said while placing his hand in Jesus' side. His side that He had because He had a human body. Because He was incarnate as a human man.
OK, anthropomorphic is hard to get our arms around too. So lets just say the 2nd Person of the Trinity has a body of flesh and bone. I am fine with that. He is not some kind of phantasm, but is a real person with a body of flesh and bone. I will add that it is a resurrected body of flesh and bone, which is light years different than man's mortal body, but nonetheless, flesh and bone.

So the 2nd Person of the Trinity has a body of flesh and bone. Is the 1st Person of the Trinity some kind of phantasm? And my understanding of the word phantasm would be some kind of incorporeal, immaterial spirit or essence.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So the 2nd Person of the Trinity has a body of flesh and bone. Is the 1st Person of the Trinity some kind of phantasm? And my understanding of the word phantasm would be some kind of incorporeal, immaterial spirit or essence.

Ah, but the example of Christ going around telling His disciples to touch Him and feel His wounds to counteract the idea that He is some kind of apparition is in the context of their seeing Him after His resurrection, when obviously they would have at least initially had some reservations about what they were seeing, since it's not within the natural order of things that people who die are later seen walking around. It is in this specific set of circumstances that the objection that He is not really before them makes sense, and that's why the answer to that objection is to physically touch Him.

The same set of circumstances do not apply to God the Father, as He was never incarnate, never birthed, never crucified (we are not Patripassionists; perhaps Mormons are), never died, and hence was never risen from the dead.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Except that the Son of God appeared to Adam, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Gideon and others in a human body. One possibility is that it is the body He acquired at the incarnation: some sort of time travel. This is not something I would teach in church but I can speculate about it in a private conversation.

It was not a human body, it was His spirit body. He dad not been born yet and didn't have a human body.

Origen believed in pre-existence of the soul, but that our souls were created by God. This is based on Jer 1:5 and Rom 9:11-14. I've known people whose theology is otherwise quite orthodox who believe this. But, only LDS believe we were begotten of the Father like the Son of God is, which is a serious error as it makes us of the same essence / nature / being (homoousion) as the Father and the Son. Pre-existence of the soul was condemned as heresy in the 2nd Council of Constantinople in AD 553.

The 2nd Council of Constantinople was not given by revelation to a prophet of God. It is not scripture. The Bible states:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 13)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

(New Testament | John 17:21 - 22)

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Rev 12 starts with a description of the birth of Christ, which implies that the war in heaven took place after His incarnation.

I believe Satan has been on earth since Adam was on earth. He tempted Cain.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God the Father is a Spirit. LDS teach that He is an exalted man. So if you believe an angel is a spirit that doesn't mean that an angel isn't a resurrected man. Resurrected humans who weren't righteous enough to become gods and goddeses become angels according to Mormonism.

"The truth is, my beloved brethren and sisters, man is a child of God—a God in embryo."
-President Marion G. Romney
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

Man—A Child of God
Yes, angels can be either spirits or resurrected beings with flesh and bones.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK, anthropomorphic is hard to get our arms around too. So lets just say the 2nd Person of the Trinity has a body of flesh and bone. I am fine with that. He is not some kind of phantasm, but is a real person with a body of flesh and bone. I will add that it is a resurrected body of flesh and bone, which is light years different than man's mortal body, but nonetheless, flesh and bone.
I think this is a reasonable conclusion.

Is the 1st Person of the Trinity some kind of phantasm? And my understanding of the word phantasm would be some kind of incorporeal, immaterial spirit or essence.
A phantasm is defined as "a figment of the imagination; an illusion or apparition." So, I'd so no, the Heavenly Father is not a phantasm.

The word essence translates Greek "ousia," which is "an important philosophical and theological term, originally used in ancient Greek philosophy, then later in Christian theology. It was used by various ancient Greek philosophers, like Plato and Aristotle, as a primary designation for philosophical concepts of essence or substance. In contemporary philosophy, it is analogous to English concepts of being and ontic."

Ousia - Wikipedia

"In philosophy, being means the material or immaterial existence of a thing." In 1975, the International Consultation on English Texts published an English translation of the Nicene Creed in which the term "homoousios" was rendered as "of one Being."

So, referring to the Heavenly Father as an essence is incorrect as it implies some form of Hindu world soul without personality. God is personal, has personality.

This leaves as with the word "spirit," which is indeed the word used in the Bible for God. Is spirit immaterial? Joseph Smith Jr. says no, "All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes." D&C 131:7

Incorporeal? Yes, this is what Christians believe. He is omnipresent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was not a human body, it was His spirit body. He dad not been born yet and didn't have a human body.
I don't know what a "spirit body" is. Is this the same as Jesus' resurrection body? Whether the answer is yes or no, if the characteristics of a "spirit body" include manifesting to people, then I don't have a problem agreeing with this. The Apostle Paul says that after the resurrection we will have "soma pneumatikon" that is "spiritual bodies" 1 Corinthians 15: 44, 45. And LDS define this as bodies with flesh and bone. If this is what a "spirit body" is?

The 2nd Council of Constantinople was not given by revelation to a prophet of God. It is not scripture.
True. And this is considered the 5th Ecumenical Council. Most Protestants take only the 1st 4 councils as authoritative.

I believe Satan has been on earth since Adam was on earth. He tempted Cain.
Yes, but he wasn't confined to earth. His confinement took place after Jesus' incarnation and specifically Jesus' crucifixion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would offer another perspective.

A distinction between the term “Son of man”, and “Son of God” must be made. In that way all born again believers are sons of God not knowing what we will be when we receive the promise of our new incorruptible bodies. (1 John 3;1-2)

It applies to the prophets and chief apostle Jesus as a prophet .Who was sent to do the will of the unseen father .He said not as I will but you . Jesus as the Son of man performed the will of the father and did not sin.

Sinners were used as an example like other sons of God. David or Jeremiah

The Psalm below can be accredited to Jesus the Son of man, the first born of the brethren. An outward demonstration of the Father (not seen) and Son of man seen working together in perfect harmony and mutual submissiveness .

In that way the Father is a greater position to strengthen the powerless Son of man but not a greater person. The Son of God and the Father are one Holy Spirit provided one work of faith or labor of their combined love..(One Spirit ,one faith, one God)

Psalms 139:13 -14 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Jeremiah 1:5 ESV “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations

I would think Jesus as the Son of man “flesh and blood” had no power of his own it came from Spirit of the Son of God in Him. . The Spirit of Christ the anointing Holy Spirit of God, . from the womb .Of his own self earthen body he had no power .

Again in respect to the corrupted flesh the Son of man Jesus was made from the womb. (powerless) and was declared the Son of God by the finished work of the two by the Holy Spirit of holiness.

Romans 1:3-5 King James Version (KJV) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

No power is attributed to the flesh .No flesh of holiness. In that way we do not wrestle against flesh and blood and neither are we strengthened by it. As sons of God we will receive new incorruptible bodies not made up of the rudiments( flesh and blood dust of the earth )of this corrupted creation.

In that way Peter the denier errored and started an oral tradition of the fathers(law of men oral traditions) saying John would not die. Also the hope of the Morons that put their hope in flesh and blood the temporal things seen.. not looking to the end of the matter, the incorruptible. . Neither male nor female, Jew nor Gentile the bride of Christ the church .

Yet Jesus did not say that . Jesus moved by the unseen father rebuked the lie and said if every time he had to do the work of revealing the lying oral traditions. We would need a bigger world to hold the volumes upon volumes that could of been written.

One warning should be enough. Our brother in the Lord Peter had many. Peter’s blasphemies were forgiven being against the Son of man .(flesh and blood) Not forgivable against the Son of God, the Holy Spirit of truth that worked in Jesus to both will and do the good pleasure of our unseen God as our Holy Father

John21:22-24 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but the example of Christ going around telling His disciples to touch Him and feel His wounds to counteract the idea that He is some kind of apparition is in the context of their seeing Him after His resurrection, when obviously they would have at least initially had some reservations about what they were seeing, since it's not within the natural order of things that people who die are later seen walking around. It is in this specific set of circumstances that the objection that He is not really before them makes sense, and that's why the answer to that objection is to physically touch Him.

The same set of circumstances do not apply to God the Father, as He was never incarnate, never birthed, never crucified (we are not Patripassionists; perhaps Mormons are), never died, and hence was never risen from the dead.
So you are saying that the 1st Person of the Trinity is much much different than the 2nd Person of the Trinity? The 1st has never been incarnated, birthed or crucified, died or risen from the dead and is an immaterial essence. The 2nd has been incarnated, birthed, crucified, died, and resurrected, and has a resurrected body of flesh and bone.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Andrewn says:
Incorporeal? Yes, this is what Christians believe. He is omnipresent.
So you are saying that the 1st Person of the Trinity is much much diffferent (being incorporeal) than the 2nd person of the Trinity, being corporeal?

It seems like there are many scriptures in the bible that testify that these 2 persons are, in fact made up exactly the same? The bible makes such a point of it, that many mistake these 2 persons as being one in the same being.

For instance, when Jesus says this to Philip, some err:
John 14:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

Not that the 2 persons of the Trinity are in the same body of Jesus, but that the body of Jesus is an exact duplicate of the body of God. So if you are looking at the body of Jesus, Jesus says you are seeing exactly what the body of God (who is in heaven) looks like.

There are many more scriptures that will testify that the make up of God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ are exactly the same, and they are not immaterial or incorporeal.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I would offer another perspective.

A distinction between the term “Son of man”, and “Son of God” must be made. In that way all born again believers are sons of God not knowing what we will be when we receive the promise of our new incorruptible bodies. (1 John 3;1-2)

It applies to the prophets and chief apostle Jesus as a prophet .Who was sent to do the will of the unseen father .He said not as I will but you . Jesus as the Son of man performed the will of the father and did not sin.

Sinners were used as an example like other sons of God. David or Jeremiah

The Psalm below can be accredited to Jesus the Son of man, the first born of the brethren. An outward demonstration of the Father (not seen) and Son of man seen working together in perfect harmony and mutual submissiveness .

In that way the Father is a greater position to strengthen the powerless Son of man but not a greater person. The Son of God and the Father are one Holy Spirit provided one work of faith or labor of their combined love..(One Spirit ,one faith, one God)

Psalms 139:13 -14 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Jeremiah 1:5 ESV “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations

I would think Jesus as the Son of man “flesh and blood” had no power of his own it came from Spirit of the Son of God in Him. . The Spirit of Christ the anointing Holy Spirit of God, . from the womb .Of his own self earthen body he had no power .

Again in respect to the corrupted flesh the Son of man Jesus was made from the womb. (powerless) and was declared the Son of God by the finished work of the two by the Holy Spirit of holiness.

Romans 1:3-5 King James Version (KJV) Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

No power is attributed to the flesh .No flesh of holiness. In that way we do not wrestle against flesh and blood and neither are we strengthened by it. As sons of God we will receive new incorruptible bodies not made up of the rudiments( flesh and blood dust of the earth )of this corrupted creation.

In that way Peter the denier errored and started an oral tradition of the fathers(law of men oral traditions) saying John would not die. Also the hope of the Morons that put their hope in flesh and blood the temporal things seen.. not looking to the end of the matter, the incorruptible. . Neither male nor female, Jew nor Gentile the bride of Christ the church .

Yet Jesus did not say that . Jesus moved by the unseen father rebuked the lie and said if every time he had to do the work of revealing the lying oral traditions. We would need a bigger world to hold the volumes upon volumes that could of been written.

One warning should be enough. Our brother in the Lord Peter had many. Peter’s blasphemies were forgiven being against the Son of man .(flesh and blood) Not forgivable against the Son of God, the Holy Spirit of truth that worked in Jesus to both will and do the good pleasure of our unseen God as our Holy Father

John21:22-24 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

garee says:

These scriptures refer to the pre-earth life that you have very little knowledge of, and Christians have not known about since around 533ad when the 2nd council of Constantinople, finally said that the conflict between the doctrine of the pre-existent soul and the doctrine of Creationism (which said that the soul was created by God and was immediately infused into its human body) was settled. Creationism will be our doctrine from here on in, and the doctrine of the pre-existent soul is to be banned. We believe that was in error.

Yes, we will recieve new incorruptible bodies not made up of the rudimens of this corrupted creation. Nonetheless the foundation of our new bodies will be flesh and bone infused with our eternal spirit (which will take the place of blood) which will change our vile bodies that it may be fashoned like unto his glorious body.
What was Jesus's body like? He actually tells us and shows us and had his apostles touch and confirm what he was telling them was the truth. He even went on to eat with them to confirm what he was telling them. Here it is so you can know of the truth, and know that your vile body will be changed into a body just like Jesus's:
Luke 24:36-43 King James Version (KJV)
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

See especialy verse 39 and 43.

This should help anyone know that our vile, mortal, flesh and blood bodies will be changed into perfected resurrected flesh and bone and spirit bodies for the eternities to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that the 1st Person of the Trinity is much much diffferent (being incorporeal) than the 2nd person of the Trinity, being corporeal?
Anyone is welcome to correct me. I don't see the body of Jesus as the entirety of the 2nd person of the Trinity but only as the visually recognizable part. It's like when we say that we see the ocean or the sky while we actually seeing a part of them. Both are incorporeal in their entirety but God the Son has an aspect that can be seen.

It seems like there are many scriptures in the bible that testify that these 2 persons are, in fact made up exactly the same?
Yes, the make up / essence of the Heavenly Father and the Son of God and e Holy Spirit is exactly the same.

Yes, we will recieve new incorruptible bodies not made up of the rudimens of this corrupted creation. Nonetheless the foundation of our new bodies will be flesh and bone infused with our eternal spirit (which will take the place of blood) which will change our vile bodies that it may be fashoned like unto his glorious body.
I have no problem with this LDS definition of resurrected / glorified / spiritual bodies.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Anyone is welcome to correct me. I don't see the body of Jesus as the entirety of the 2nd person of the Trinity but only as the visually recognizable part. It's like when we say that we see the ocean or the sky while we actually seeing a part of them. Both are incorporeal in their entirety but God the Son has an aspect that can be seen.

Yes, the make up / essence of the Heavenly Father and the Son of God and e Holy Spirit is exactly the same.

I have no problem with this LDS definition of resurrected / glorified / spiritual bodies.
So if, as you say, the make up/essence of the Heavenly Father and the Son of God and the Holy Spirit os exactly the same, then all 3 persons have a visually recognizable part just like Jesus. They all are incorporeal in their entirety but they all have an aspect that can be seen.

And I would add that this "aspect" which you talk about has to be corporeal, since after the resurrection, the Son of God was seen and felt and ate fish with his apostles.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So if, as you say, the make up/essence of the Heavenly Father and the Son of God and the Holy Spirit os exactly the same, then all 3 persons have a visually recognizable part just like Jesus. They all are incorporeal in their entirety but they all have an aspect that can be seen.
I smile as I read this, thinking of how much you concentrate on corporeality. Phil.2:6-11 says that Christ was in the "form" of God before the incarnation. What is the "form of God?" If God has a form, this implies corporeality of some sort, doesn't it? In what sense did the Son of God "empty himself?" He emptied himself of the divine "form." And took a different "form:" human form.

Anything I may add to this would be pure speculation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I smile as I read this, thinking of how much you concentrate on corporeality. Phil.2:6-11 says that Christ was in the "form" of God before the incarnation. What is the "form of God?" If God has a form, this implies corporeality of some sort, doesn't it? In what sense did the Son of God "empty himself?" He emptied himself of the divine "form." And took a different "form:" human form.

Anything I may add to this would be pure speculation.
Do you believe that God does not have a person (body)?

(New Testament | Hebrews 1:1 - 3)

1 GOD, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that God does not have a person (body)?
1) In message #70, I wrote "God is personal, has personality."

2) In message #78, I wrote, "Phil.2:6-11 says that Christ was in the "form" of God before the incarnation. What is the "form of God?" If God has a form, this implies corporeality of some sort, doesn't it?"

3) In Heb 1:3, the KJV translation of "hypostasis" into "person" is incorrect.

4) The word "hypostasis" means "reality" or "existence".

5) Some modern translations of Heb 1:3;

NRSV: the exact imprint of God’s very being,

NIV: the exact representation of his being,

NTE: the precise expression of his own very being;

TLV: the imprint of His being,

6) God's "being" or "reality" does not have to do with his body.

7) In message #71, I asked you about the "spirit body." Is it the same as the "spiritual body" with flesh and bone?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.