How common was the observance of the Jewish Sabbath among early Church Christians?

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You must be quite assured of yourself that there is nothing about the 10 being abolished. Kinda like the SDA who offered $10,000 to the person who could find where we are to keep Sunday in the Bible. No, we do not find the word abolished in connection with the 10, but we do find "done away" in connection with the 10. We also find the 10 were the ministry of ☠. We find the law was until Christ and Christ and that He set aside the law with its commands and regulations.

Rom 8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
Now where is it we have we seen just what is the law of sin and death? Oh I know it is Rom 8: 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death and a sister verses in 2Cor3: 7
Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory,.

Not really Bob. I believe you are mistaken here. 2 Corinthians 3:7 is not saying that God's law is done away with, it is the ministration of condemnation, sin and death that is done away with in the ministration of the Spirit of the new covenant promise through faith in Christ.

To have an interpretation that 2 Corinthians 3:7 is saying Gods' law is done away or abolished and no longer a requirement for Christian living is not biblical and is contradictory to the rest of the chapter and pretty much all the bible as it is the letter of the law according to the scriptures that is fulfilled in the Spirit of the law showing that old covenant is fulfilled in the new covenant.

Having an interpretation that 2 Corinthians 3:7 is in reference to the 10 commandments being "done away" (G2673) has Paul contradicting himself when he says in Romans 3:31 " Do we, then, "destroy" (G2673) the law through faith? God forbid: we establish the law. You can see very clearly from Paul's writings here that an interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3:7 that Paul is talking about Gods' 10 commandments being "done away" or abolished or destroyed cannot be the correct interpretation of these scriptures if Paul stated that faith does not do away, abolish or destroys God's law it establishes Gods' law in those who believe and follow Gods' Word in Romans 3:31.

Now I underlined the words "done away from 2 Corinthians 3:7 and "destroy (also do away; abolish; destroy; make of none effect; cancel; make void in other translations) because it is the same Greek word used in 2 Corinthians 2:7 shown below..

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - G2673
καταργέω (katargéō | kat-arg-eh'-o)
Derivation: from G2596 and G691;
Strong's: to be (render) entirely idle (useless), literally or figuratively
KJV: —abolish, cease, cumber, deliver, destroy, do away, become (make) of no (none, without) effect, fail, loose, bring (come) to nought, put away (down), vanish away, make void.

So there is no mistake. Both 2 Corinthians 3:7 and Romans 3:31 prove that Paul is not talking about the 10 commandments being done away with as this interpretation has Paul contradicting himself. As shown above. Paul in 2 Corinthians 3:7 is showing that it is the ministration of condemnation, sin and death of the letter of the law that is done away with in the ministration of the Spirit of the new covenant promise through faith in Christ showing that old covenant is now fulfilled in the new covenant of God writing his law in our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:32-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27. This is why Jesus say truly truly I say unto you unless a man is born again he cannot enter into the kingdom of Heaven. According to John those who are born again to love do not knowingly practice sin *1 John 3:4-9; 1 John 2:3-4; 1 John 5:2-4

Let's be careful to consider all the scriptures provided and not look at single verses in isolation to the chapters they are in and the rest of the bible.

Sorry Bob, I do not believe the scriptures teach anywhere that God's law is abolished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,826.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really Bob. I believe you are mistaken here. 2 Corinthians 3:7 is not saying that God's law is done away with, it is the ministration of condemnation, sin and death that is done away with in the Spirit of the new covenant promise through faith in Christ.

To have an interpretation that 2 Corinthians 3:7 is saying Gods' law is done away or abolished and no longer a requirement for Christian living is not biblical and is contradictory to the rest of the chapter and pretty much all the bible as it is the letter of the law according to the scriptures that is fulfilled in the Spirit of the law showing that old covenant is fulfilled in the new covenant.

Having an interpretation that 2 Corinthians 3:7 is in reference to the 10 commandments being "done away" (G2673) has Paul contradicting himself when he says in Romans 3:31 " Do we, then, "destroy" (G2673) the law through faith? God forbid: we establish the law. You can see very clearly from Paul's writings here that an interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3:7 that Paul is talking about Gods' 10 commandments being "done away" or abolished or destroyed cannot be the correct interpretation of these scriptures if Paul stated that faith does not do away, abolish or destroys God's law it establishes Gods' law in those who believe and follow Gods' Word in Romans 3:31.

Now I underlined the words "done away from 2 Corinthians 3:7 and "destroy (also do away; abolish; destroy; make of none effect; cancel; make void in other translations) because it is the same Greek word used in 2 Corinthians 2:7 shown below..

Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries w/TVM, Strong - G2673
καταργέω (katargéō | kat-arg-eh'-o)
Derivation: from G2596 and G691;
Strong's: to be (render) entirely idle (useless), literally or figuratively
KJV: —abolish, cease, cumber, deliver, destroy, do away, become (make) of no (none, without) effect, fail, loose, bring (come) to nought, put away (down), vanish away, make void.

So there is no mistake. Both 2 Corinthians 3:7 and Romans 3:31 prove that Paul is not talking about the 10 commandments being done away with as this interpretation has Paul contradicting himself. As shown above. Paul in 2 Corinthians 3:7 is showing that it is the ministration of condemnation, sin and death of the letter of the law that is done away with in the Spirit of the new covenant promise through faith in Christ showing that old covenant is now fulfilled in the new covenant of God writing his law in our hearts and minds (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:32-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27.

Let's be careful to consider all the scriptures provided and not look at single verses in isolation to the chapters they are in and the rest of the bible.

Sorry Bob, I do not believe the scriptures teach anywhere that God's law is abolished.
Would you agree that the 10cs were never given to the Gentile nations? Please show us where the 10 transitioned to Gentiles. Give us some proof that we were ever commanded to keep the laws given to Israel at Sinai. Prove the where the words "keep my commandments" are referring to the 10.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Would you agree that the 10cs were never given to the Gentile nations? .

All gentile nations came from the family of Noah - who had the TEN
All "mankind" will be keeping the Sabbath for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth Is 66:23
Gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping in the OT - Isaiah 56:6-8
Gentiles and Jews gather "every Sabbath" in the NT for Gospel preaching Acts 18:4

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Stunning lay out of the history of keeping the Jewish Sabbath in the Early Church. Still, I do not think we can know with certainty how frequent such observance was in the first few centuries, except to say that it was fairly common. Logically, it probably started out as a majority viewpoint and then gradually diminished overtime.

The frequency of "every Sabbath" is mentioned in Acts 18:4

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: How common was the observance of the Jewish Sabbath among early Church Christians?

Note 1: to be precise, the concept of "early Church" encompasses the first 4 centuries of Christianity, so it's very likely that the answer to the question depends on what specific period of time we are looking at. For this reason, I would rather like to know how the popularity of the observance of the Jewish Sabbath evolved over time. Was it very popular at the beginning and then gradually became less popular among early Church Christians as time went on? Or was the Jewish Sabbath never very popular to begin with?

Note 2: answers that cite reputable unbiased historical sources will be appreciated. I'm interested in historical facts, not personal opinions.

I think that given that the earliest church (AD 33 - AD 60) was Jewish, it was probably quite common. The influx of gentile Christian converts caused a controversy precisely because most of the Jewish believers were following Jewish law, and the question became what the Gentile converts were or weren't required to do.

I think there was a combination of several events that led to Christianity not placing emphasis on sabbath observance with the majority settling instead for only a Sunday observance:

1) The Church-Synagogue Split over (a) what to do about gentile converts, (b) messianic claims about Jesus, and (c) the "Two Powers" controversy (https://digitalcommons.butler.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1111&context=facsch_papers).

2) The 1st Roman-Jewish War (AD 66 - 73) and destruction of the temple (if Eusebius is right, Jewish-Christians fled the city and did not participate with their countrymen).

3) The 2nd Roman - Jewish War (AD 135).

4) Christian persecutions, especially when Christianity was an outlawed religion in the Roman empire, but Judaism was not.

I suspect that in the very earliest church, members were observing Sabbath, participating in the Temple, observing Jewish laws and customs, and meeting on Sunday mornings to commemorate Christ's resurrection. But the above events came with a host of controversies resulting in a complete split between Church and Synagogue where the majority of Christians ended up only observing Sunday as the day of worship. Particularly (2) and (4) probably led to a good degree of animosity, feelings of betrayal, and blame by one group or another.

I think probably by the time of the writing of John's gospel, the church-synagoge split was quite severe and almost, if not totally, complete:

Jn 9:22 for the Jews had already agreed that anyone who confessed Jesus to be the Messiah would be put out of the synagogue.

Jn 12:42 But because of the Pharisees they did not confess it, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue;

Jn 16:2 They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, an hour is coming when those who kill you will think that by doing so they are offering worship to God.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts 13 - Sabbath after Sabbath services - where it is the "gentiles" that ask for more Gospel preaching "next Sabbath" and almost "The entire town shows up" for the message.

Acts 17 - Sabbath after Sabbath after Sabbath services preaching the gospel message to both gentiles and Jews until finally the town rejects it and persecution arises - even though a group of Christian believers is raised up.

Acts 18:4 "every Sabbath" Gospel preaching to both gentiles and Jews.

Heb 4 "There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" - remains from what? -- remains from what it was at the time of David according to Heb 4.

Nothing like this exists in the NT for "week day 1"

This doesn't answer the question about popularity and evolution over time. The early Church is commonly understood to span the first 3 to 4 centuries of Christianity. The verses that you are quoting from Acts at best serve as evidence that people attended Jewish synagogues to hear what was being preached. That's not the same as observing the Jewish Sabbath (the text doesn't tell you what those individuals did before or after the synagogue services). The verses you are quoting do not tell you anything about:
  1. How popular it was to keep the Jewish Sabbath among early Church Christians.
  2. What happened over time (300-400 years of history).
Can you please cite historical sources?

1. The Bible is a historic document regarding first century practices.
2. the texts show that BOTH gentiles AND Jews were attending Sabbath services for "more gospel preaching"
3. We have "every Sabbath" worship service attendance for the first century Acts 18:4 for BOTH gentiles and Jews.

4. By contrast we we do NOT have "every week day one" Gospel preaching or worship service attendance at all in the first century record that exists in the Bible.

If the question is "how popular was Bible Sabbath observance AFTER the first century" then that would get you to your apparent restriction -- of excluding the Bible

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Victorinus

CHURCH FATHERS: On the Creation of the World (Victorinus)

The document is probably around 300 AD.

For light was made before sky and the earth. This sixth day is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. For He perfected Adam, whom He made after His image and likeness. But for this reason He completed His works before He created angels and fashioned man, lest perchance they should falsely assert that they had been His helpers. On this day also. on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God, or a fast. On the seventh day He rested from all His works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord's day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews, which Christ Himself, the Lord of the Sabbath, says by His prophets that "His soul hateth;" which Sabbath He in His body abolished, although, nevertheless, He had formerly Himself commanded Moses that circumcision should not pass over the eighth day, which day very frequently happens on the Sabbath, as we read written in the Gospel. Moses, foreseeing the hardness of that people, on the Sabbath raised up his hands, therefore, and thus figuratively fastened himself to a cross. And in the battle they were sought for by the foreigners on the Sabbath-day, that they might be taken captive, and, as if by the very strictness of the law, might be fashioned to the avoidance of its teaching.

And thus in the sixth Psalm for the eighth day, David asks the Lord that He would not rebuke him in His anger, nor judge him in His fury; for this is indeed the eighth day of that future judgment, which will pass beyond the order of the sevenfold arrangement. Jesus also, the son of Nave, the successor of Moses, himSelf broke the Sabbath-day; for on the Sabbath-day he commanded the children of Israel to go round the walls of the city of Jericho with trumpets, and declare war against the aliens. Matthias also, prince of Judah, broke the Sabbath; for he slew the prefect of Antiochus the king of Syria on the Sabbath, and subdued the foreigners by pursuing them. And in Matthew we read, that it is written Isaiah also and the rest of his colleagues broke the Sabbath--that that true and just Sabbath should be observed in the seventh millenary of years. Wherefore to those seven days the Lord attributed to each a thousand years; for thus went the warning: "In Thine eyes, O Lord, a thousand years are as one day." Therefore in the eyes of the Lord each thousand of years is ordained, for I find that the Lord's eyes are seven. Wherefore, as I have narrated, that true Sabbath will be in the seventh millenary of years, when Christ with His elect shall reign. Moreover, the seven heavens agree with those days; for thus we are warned: "By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the powers of them by the spirit of His mouth." There are seven spirits. Their names are the spirits which abode on the Christ of God, as was intimated in Isaiah the prophet: "And there rests upon Him the spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of wisdom and of piety, and the spirit of God's fear hath filled Him." Therefore the highest heaven is the heaven of wisdom; the second, of understanding; the third, of counsel; the fourth, of might; the fifth, of knowledge; the sixth, of piety; the seventh, of God's fear. From this, therefore, the thunders bellow, the lightnings are kindled, the fires are heaped together; fiery darts appear, stars gleam, the anxiety caused by the dreadful comet is aroused. Sometimes it happens that the sun and moon approach one another, and cause those more than frightful appearances, radiating with light in the field of their aspect. But the author of the whole creation is Jesus. His name is the Word; for thus His Father says: "My heart hath emitted a good word." John the evangelist thus says: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was nothing made that was made." Therefore, first, was made the creation; secondly, man, the lord of the human race, as says the apostle. Therefore this Word, when it made light, is called Wisdom; when it made the sky, Understanding; when it made land and sea, Counsel; when it made sun and moon and other bright things, Power; when it calls forth land and sea, Knowledge; when it formed man, Piety; when it blesses and sanctifies man, it has the name of God's fear.

They had "issues" long before the 3rd century

Acts 20: 28 Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore, be on the alert, remembering that night and day for a period of three years I did not cease to admonish each one with tears.

1 Tim 1:3 Just as I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, to remain on at Ephesus so that you would instruct certain people not to teach strange doctrines, 4 nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to useless speculation rather than advance the plan of God, which is by faith, so I urge you now. 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from a sincere faith. 6 Some people have strayed from these things and have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions.

3 John 1:
9 I wrote something to the church; but Diotrephes, who loves to be first among them, does not accept what we say. 10 For this reason, if I come, I will call attention to his deeds which he does, unjustly accusing us with malicious words; and not satisfied with this, he himself does not receive the brothers either, and he forbids those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think that given that the earliest church (AD 33 - AD 60) was Jewish, it was probably quite common. The influx of gentile Christian converts caused a controversy precisely because most of the Jewish believers were following Jewish law, and the question became what the Gentile converts were or weren't required to do.

True and to "settle the debate" the Christian church went to Jerusalem to hear from church leaders and have them vote on what the right course of action was to be regarding some man-made-traditions that had crept in.

I suspect that in the very earliest church, members were observing Sabbath

True - notice what Paul says in 1 Cor 8 -- the letter calls gentile believers "the weak in faith" in the case of gentiles that were newly converted from paganism. The Jewish Christians are portrayed as "strong" by contrast - (and of course all of their Apostles were Jewish Christians)

=====================
1 Cor 8:
4 Therefore, concerning the eating of food sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing at all in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is only one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

7 However, not all people have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 Now food will not bring us close to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat. 9 But take care that this freedom of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone sees you, the one who has knowledge, dining in an idol’s temple, will his conscience, if he is weak, not be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols? 11 For through your knowledge the one who is weak is ruined, the brother or sister for whose sake Christ died. 12 And so, by sinning against the brothers and sisters and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food causes my brother to sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to sin.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Wikipedia, the Jewish Sabbath is defined as:

[...] the Sabbath, is Judaism's day of rest on the seventh day of the week—i.e., Saturday. On this day, religious Jews remember the biblical story describing the creation of the heavens and the earth in six days and look forward to a future Messianic Age. Since the Jewish religious calendar counts days from sunset to sunset, Shabbat begins in the evening of what on the secular calendar is Friday.

Question: How common was the observance of the Jewish Sabbath among early Church Christians?

Note 1: to be precise, the concept of "early Church" encompasses the first 4 centuries of Christianity, so it's very likely that the answer to the question depends on what specific period of time we are looking at. For this reason, I would rather like to know how the popularity of the observance of the Jewish Sabbath evolved over time. Was it very popular at the beginning and then gradually became less popular among early Church Christians as time went on? Or was the Jewish Sabbath never very popular to begin with?

Note 2: answers that cite reputable unbiased historical sources will be appreciated. I'm interested in historical facts, not personal opinions.

The Letter of Barnabas

Since, therefore, the days are evil, and Satan possesses the power of this world, we ought to give heed to ourselves, and diligently inquire into the ordinances of the Lord. Fear and patience, then, are helpers of our faith; and long-suffering and continence are things which fight on our side. While these remain pure in what respects the Lord, Wisdom, Understanding, Science, and Knowledge rejoice along with them. For He hath revealed to us by all the prophets that He needs neither sacrifices, nor burnt-offerings, nor oblations, saying thus, “What is the multitude of your sacrifices unto Me, saith the Lord? I am full of burnt-offerings, and desire not the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats, not when ye come to appear before Me: for who hath required these things at your hands? Tread no more My courts, not though ye bring with you fine flour. Incense is a vain abomination unto Me, and your new moons and sabbaths I cannot endure.” He has therefore abolished these things, that the new law of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is without the yoke of necessity, might have a human oblation(The Epistle of Barnabas 1 Chapter II.—The Jewish sacrifices are now abolished.)

Further, He says to them, “Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure.” Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.(The Epistle of Barnabas Chapter XV.—The false and the true Sabbath. [A.D. 74]).

Ignatius of Antioch

If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death—whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master(Letter to the Magnesians(shorter) Chapter IX.—Let us live with Christ [A.D. 110]).

During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathæa had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection(The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians Longer Versions. Chapter IX.—Reference to the history of Christ.)

Justin Martyr

The Lawgiver is present, yet you do not see Him; to the poor the Gospel is preached, the blind see, yet you do not understand. You have now need of a second circumcision, though you glory greatly in the flesh. The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not discerning why this has been commanded you: and if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances: if there is any perjured person or a thief among you, let him cease to be so; if any adulterer, let him repent; then he has kept the sweet and true sabbaths of God. If any one has impure hands, let him wash and be pure.(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XII.—The Jews violate the eternal law, and interpret ill that of Moses.)

For we too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined you,—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your hearts. For if we patiently endure all things contrived against us by wicked men and demons, so that even amid cruelties unutterable, death and torments, we pray for mercy to those who inflict such things upon us, and do not wish to give the least retort to any one, even as the new Lawgiver commanded us: how is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us, —I speak of fleshly circumcision, and Sabbaths, and feasts?(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XVIII.—Christians would observe the law, if they did not know why it was instituted. [A.D. 155]).

And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday,1 all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.(First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

“Wherefore, Trypho, I will proclaim to you, and to those who wish to become proselytes, the divine message which I heard from that man. Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Remain as you were born. For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. For when Abraham himself was in uncircumcision, he was justified and blessed by reason of the faith which he reposed in God, as the Scripture tells. Moreover, the Scriptures and the facts themselves compel us to admit that He received circumcision for a sign, and not for righteousness.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XXIII.—The opinion of the Jews regarding the law does an injury to God.)

“As, then, circumcision began with Abraham, and the Sabbath and sacrifices and offerings and feasts with Moses, and it has been proved they were enjoined on account of the hardness of your people’s heart, so it was necessary, in accordance with the Father’s will, that they should have an end in Him who was born of a virgin, of the family of Abraham and tribe of Judah, and of David; in Christ the Son of God, who was proclaimed as about to come to all the world, to be the everlasting law and the everlasting covenant, even as the forementioned prophecies show.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XLIII.—He concludes that the law had an end in Christ, who was born of the Virgin.)

Tertullian

“[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God”(An Answer to the Jews Chapter II.—The Law Anterior to Moses. [A.D. 203]).

It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so also the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary.For the Jews say, that from the beginning God sanctified the seventh day, by resting on it from all His works which He made; and that thence it was, likewise, that Moses said to the People: “Remember the day of the sabbaths, to sanctify it: every servile work ye shall not do therein, except what pertaineth unto life.” Whence we (Christians) understand that we still more ought to observe a sabbath from all “servile work” always, and not only every seventh day, but through all time. And through this arises the question for us, what sabbath God willed us to keep? For the Scriptures point to a sabbath eternal and a sabbath temporal. For Isaiah the prophet says, “Your sabbaths my soul hateth;” and in another place he says, “My sabbaths ye have profaned.”9 Whence we discern that the temporal sabbath is human, and the eternal sabbath is accounted divine; concerning which He predicts through Isaiah: “And there shall be,” He says, “month after month, and day after day, and sabbath after sabbath; and all flesh shall come to adore in Jerusalem, saith the Lord;” which we understand to have been fulfilled in the times of Christ, when “all flesh”—that is, every nation—“came to adore in Jerusalem” God the Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, as was predicted through the prophet: “Behold, proselytes through me shall go unto Thee.” Thus, therefore, before this temporal sabbath, there was withal an eternal sabbath foreshown and foretold; just as before the carnal circumcision there was withal a spiritual circumcision foreshown. In short, let them teach us, as we have already premised, that Adam observed the sabbath; or that Abel, when offering to God a holy victim, pleased Him by a religious reverence for the sabbath; or that Enoch, when translated, had been a keeper of the sabbath; or that Noah the ark-builder observed, on account of the deluge, an immense sabbath; or that Abraham, in observance of the sabbath, offered Isaac his son; or that Melchizedek in his priesthood received the law of the sabbath

But the Jews are sure to say, that ever since this precept was given through Moses, the observance has been binding. Manifest accordingly it is, that the precept was not eternal nor spiritual, but temporary, which would one day cease. In short, so true is it that it is not in the exemption from work of the sabbath—that is, of the seventh day—that the celebration of this solemnity is to consist, that Joshua the son of Nun, at the time that he was reducing the city Jericho by war, stated that he had received from God a precept to order the People that priests should carry the ark of the testament of God seven days, making the circuit of the city; and thus, when the seventh day’s circuit had been performed, the walls of the city would spontaneously fall. Which was so done; and when the space of the seventh day was finished, just as was predicted, down fell the walls of the city. Whence it is manifestly shown, that in the number of the seven days there intervened a sabbath-day. For seven days, whencesoever they may have commenced, must necessarily include within them a sabbath-day; on which day not only must the priests have worked, but the city must have been made a prey by the edge of the sword by all the people of Israel. Nor is it doubtful that they “wrought servile work,” when, in obedience to God’s precept, they drave the preys of war. For in the times of the Maccabees, too, they did bravely in fighting on the sabbaths, and routed their foreign foes, and recalled the law of their fathers to the primitive style of life by fighting on the sabbaths. Nor should I think it was any other law which they thus vindicated, than the one in which they remembered the existence of the prescript touching “the day of the sabbaths.” Whence it is manifest that the force of such precepts was temporary, and respected the necessity of present circumstances; and that it was not with a view to its observance in perpetuity that God formerly gave them such a law.(An Answer to the Jews Chapter IV.—Of the Observance of the Sabbath.)

Therefore, since it is manifest that a sabbath temporal was shown, and a sabbath eternal foretold; a circumcision carnal foretold, and a circumcision spiritual pre-indicated; a law temporal and a law eternal formally declared; sacrifices carnal and sacrifices spiritual foreshown; it follows that, after all these precepts had been given carnally, in time preceding, to the people Israel, there was to supervene a time whereat the precepts of the ancient Law and of the old ceremonies would cease, and the promise3 of the new law, and the recognition of spiritual sacrifices, and the promise of the New Testament, supervene;4 while the light from on high would beam upon us who were sitting in darkness, and were being detained in the shadow of death.5 And so there is incumbent on us a necessity6 binding us, since we have premised that a new law was predicted by the prophets, and that not such as had been already given to their fathers at the time when He led them forth from the land of Egypt,7 to show and prove, on the one hand, that that old Law has ceased, and on the other, that the promised new law is now in operation.

And, indeed, first we must inquire whether there be expected a giver of the new law, and an heir of the new testament, and a priest of the new sacrifices, and a purger of the new circumcision, and an observer of the eternal sabbath, to suppress the old law, and institute the new testament, and offer the new sacrifices, and repress the ancient ceremonies, and suppress8 the old circumcision together with its own sabbath, and announce the new kingdom which is not corruptible. Inquire, I say, we must, whether this giver of the new law, observer of the spiritual sabbath, priest of the eternal sacrifices, eternal ruler of the eternal kingdom, be come or no: that, if he is already come, service may have to be rendered him; if he is not yet come, he may have to be awaited, until by his advent it be manifest that the old Law’s precepts are suppressed, and that the beginnings of the new law ought to arise. And, primarily, we must lay it down that the ancient Law and the prophets could not have ceased, unless He were come who was constantly announced, through the same Law and through the same prophets, as to come.(An Answer to the Jews Chapter VI.—Of the Abolition and the Abolisher of the Old Law. [A.D. 203]).

But you, many of you, also under pretence sometimes of worshipping the heavenly bodies, move your lips in the direction of the sunrise. In the same way, if we devote Sun-day to rejoicing, from a far different reason than Sun-worship, we have some resemblance to those of you who devote the day of Saturn to ease and luxury, though they too go far away from Jewish ways, of which indeed they are ignorant.(Apology Chapter XVI.)

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
According to Wikipedia, the Jewish Sabbath is defined as:

[...] the Sabbath, is Judaism's day of rest on the seventh day of the week—i.e., Saturday. On this day, religious Jews remember the biblical story describing the creation of the heavens and the earth in six days and look forward to a future Messianic Age. Since the Jewish religious calendar counts days from sunset to sunset, Shabbat begins in the evening of what on the secular calendar is Friday.

The Roman Empire did not observe a day of rest during the week. That is, not until Emperor Constantine mandated Sunday as a day of rest early in the fourth century.

The Roman Empire allowed each province in the empire to continue in their religion. So Israel rested on the Sabbath day, but no other country had a day of rest until Constantine. Obviously the Sabbath day was unlikely to be practiced outside of Israel.

The scripture hints at the Gentiles not having a day of rest on a Sabbath.

Many early church letters warn against Sabbath observance.

The evidence is pretty much against the Gentile churches resting on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Empire did not observe a day of rest during the week. That is, not until Emperor Constantine mandated Sunday as a day of rest early in the fourth century.

The Roman Empire allowed each province in the empire to continue in their religion. So Israel rested on the Sabbath day, but no other country had a day of rest until Constantine. Obviously the Sabbath day was unlikely to be practiced outside of Israel.

The scripture hints at the Gentiles not having a day of rest on a Sabbath.

Many early church letters warn against Sabbath observance.

The evidence is pretty much against the Gentile churches resting on the Sabbath.
There is only one Truth, one Gospel and one day God deemed as His holy day. Exodus 20:8-11, Genesis 2:3 Your reference is on what man says and not God.

Psalms 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD Than to put confidence in man.

Jeremiah 17:5 Thus says the Lord:

“Cursed is the man who trusts in man
And makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the Lord.

Acts 5:29 But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.

Upvote 0