Moonshiner

Me & amp; amp; amp; amp; a
May 10, 2012
✟15,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone in the know please explain for me.
Jesus was man and he was God. He was tempted but he never sinned. What he did is nothing but the truth and right. He asked Pharisees to keep paying tithes. I have a few questions here.
Did Jesus himself pay tithes?
At any one point in time did anyone pay tithes from wages or gifts in the bible?

When Jesus in Mt 23:23 talked about tithes he talked about Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Does this mean Pharisees did not pay tithes from other earnings like wages and gifts or may someone please interpret this for me.

My main question however is in Matthew 17:
24And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? 25He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? 26Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. 27Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

There is no mention that Peter took 10% to the Priests or any mention of tithes here but tribute.This confuses me as well because there is a place when he takes a coin with Ceasars inscription in the bible and he says give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar. May someone please explain to me why he did not pay tithes especially in this scripture.

Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
HE did... HE told peter to give 100% of it to pay temple tax... HE didn't keep ANY of it for HIMSELF.... it ALL went to the temple....

JESUS paid HIS tithes.... AND the extra tax.... even though the temple tax was man-made....

tithes went to the temple and so did the temple tax.... it all went into the temple coffers....

Last edited:
Reactions: CindyisHis
Upvote 0

DYOLF

lbs 4 lbs Numero Uno
Apr 27, 2010
✟9,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
HolySpiritWOF2 said:
HE did... he told peter to give 100% of it to pay temple tax... HE didn't keep ANY of it for HIMSELF.... it ALL went to the temple....

JESUS paid HIS tithes.... AND the extra tax.... even though the temple tax was man-made....

tithes went to the temple and so did the temple tax.... it all went into the temple coffers....

Was this tribute being paid to the Temple or to the Romans?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
the temple.... check out matthew 17:24-27....

Matthew 17:24-27 New King James Version (NKJV)

24 When they had come to Capernaum,[a] those who received the didrachma temple tax came to Peter and said, “Does your Teacher not pay the didrachma temple tax?”
25 He said, “Yes.”
And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?”
26 Peter said to Him, “From strangers.”
Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. 27 Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money statera/shekel;[b] take that and give it to them for Me and you.”

Footnotes:
  1. Matthew 17:24 NU-Text reads Capharnaum (here and elsewhere).
  2. Matthew 17:27 Greek stater, the exact amount to pay the temple tax (didrachma) for two
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew 17:24-27&version=NKJV;AMP;NASB;YLT;KJV

Didrachma (1 Occurrence)

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Last edited:
Reactions: PastorMike
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
JESUS was saying that kings ONLY tax foreigners.... NOT sons.... so the didrachma tax was WRONG.... because JESUS and peter were SONS....

JESUS and peter were not sons of the romans.... they were sons of the jews....

but JESUS said to pay this illegal man-made tax to the temple anyway....

kinda like HE told us all to go 2 miles for the one that asks us to go 1 mile... and to give our tunic and our shirt to the one that asks for our shirt....

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
JESUS tells peter in matthew 17:24-27.... to pay the man-made illegal didrachma temple tax.... with the statera/shekel coin that comes out of the fish's mouth.... not as a duty/obligation.... because it wasn't really required by GOD.... but to not offend them....

JESUS tells everyone in matthew 22:15-22.... to pay caesar the kenson poll taxes that are due him by roman law.... with the denarius coin that has caesar's picture on it....

sometimes the original greek clears up what was really said....

Matthew 22:15-22 New King James Version (NKJV)

15 Then the Pharisees went and plotted how they might entangle Him in His talk. 16 And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men. 17 Tell us, therefore, what do You think? Is it lawful to pay kenson poll-taxes to Caesar, or not?”
18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, “Why do you test Me, you hypocrites? 19 Show Me the tax money.”
So they brought Him a denarius.
20 And He said to them, “Whose image and inscription is this?”
21 They said to Him, “Caesar’s.”
And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” 22 When they had heard these words, they marveled, and left Him and went their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did Jesus himself pay tithes?
At any one point in time did anyone pay tithes from wages or gifts in the bible?

When Jesus in Mt 23:23 talked about tithes he talked about Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Does this mean Pharisees did not pay tithes from other earnings like wages and gifts or may someone please interpret this for me.
JESUS ALWAYS obeyed EVERYTHING GOD said to do.... perfectly.... so HE mostly asuredly paid tithes...

tithes were paid on the increase.... plant seeds and give 10% of the crops.... own livestock and give 10% of the newborn....

when JESUS spoke to the pharisees HE meant exactly what HE said.... they were tithers.... extremely OCD tithers.... but they omitted weigthier matters of GOD'S law.... GOD'S judgment... GOD'S mercy.... GOD'S faith.... they had many serious violations of GOD'S WORD concerning these matters....

that is why HE called them hypocrites.... and vipers.... sons of hell.... who stole widows homes.... and neglected caring for parents.... and condemning innocent people.... etc.... the BIBLE is full of examples of their crimes.... basically they were a bunch of theives.... murderers.... bullies.... cons.... braggards.... liars.... who pretended to be holier than everyone else....

JESUS told people to DO as the pharisees said.... but DON'T do as the pharisees do.... because they were NOT going to enter heaven due to their blatant unrighteousness.... matthew - john are full of all the things JESUS called them on.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
JESUS rebuked the pharisees (lawyers) and scribes for TELLING the people to corban - devote their money to GOD (aka - the temple).... and thereby NEGLECT the well-being of their parents.... this was just one of many man-made religious rules that nullified the WORD....

http://www.torah.org/advanced/mikra/5757/va/dt.57.3.01.html#
The word Korban, comes from the Hebrew root "K*R*B" - meaning "to come close. A Korban is a vehicle for Man to come close to God.

Mark 7:6-13 New King James Version (NKJV)

6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’[a]

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men[b] —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’;[c] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’[d] 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There is no mention that Peter took 10% to the Priests or any mention of tithes here but tribute.This confuses me as well because there is a place when he takes a coin with Ceasars inscription in the bible and he says give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar. May someone please explain to me why he did not pay tithes especially in this scripture.
Why should He, this was not His increase.

Secondly, the tribute is not paid by sons, but rather strangers (v25). Jesus fulfilled both these sayings at once. He paid the tribute so as not to offend, not because He (or Peter) owed it. So the payment was made because they demanded it and Peter said "yes" we pay the temple tax. But they did not pay it from their own funds, their own increase. So as sons, they did not pay anything that they themselves owned.

I agree with an extension to the topic that HolySpiritWOF2 says later in this thread that Jesus must have paid tithes. My point would be that Jesus would have paid tithes because He was a Jew and the Jewish law demanded the tithe of the increase. This is why in places like Luke 11:42 Jesus is seen telling the Pharisees that they tithe, and this was a thing that should not be left undone...because they are Jews and this is Jewish Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

Secondly, the tribute is not paid by sons, but rather strangers (v25). Jesus fulfilled both these sayings at once. He paid the tribute so as not to offend, not because He (or Peter) owed it. So the payment was made because they demanded it and Peter said "yes" we pay the temple tax. But they did not pay it from their own funds, their own increase. So as sons, they did not pay anything that they themselves owned.

I agree with an extension to the topic that HolySpiritWOF2 says later in this thread that Jesus must have paid tithes. My point would be that Jesus would have paid tithes because He was a Jew and the Jewish law demanded the tithe of the increase. This is why in places like Luke 11:42 Jesus is seen telling the Pharisees that they tithe, and this was a thing that should not be left undone...because they are Jews and this is Jewish Law.
amen.... great post.... very concise and to the point.... and also clarifies Moonshiners' question about paying tithes on gifts.... gifts are not subject to the tithe because they are not the increase....

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
JESUS rebuked the pharisees (lawyers) and scribes for TELLING the people to corban - devote their money to GOD (aka - the temple).... and thereby NEGLECT the well-being of their parents.... this was just one of many man-made religious rules that nullified the WORD....

http://www.torah.org/advanced/mikra/5757/va/dt.57.3.01.html#
The word Korban, comes from the Hebrew root "K*R*B" - meaning "to come close. A Korban is a vehicle for Man to come close to God.

Mark 7:6-13 New King James Version (NKJV)

6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’[a]

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men[b] —the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’;[c] and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’[d] 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Very nice! Thank you for the great teaching.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Excellent points, Bro:thumbsup:

Upvote 0