Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just curious to know if you can tell when you're setting foot in a traditional, progressive or independent SDA church?

Speaking with the pastor would be a good first step. Just come out and ask him if the church follows traditional or progressive teachings. You could also talk to other church members, although they may not always know.

If you hear quotes from Ellen White and sermons preached on the coming Sunday law or our need of perfection of character to be overcomers and part of the 144,000, then you know you're in a traditional church. I don't want to speculate on what you might hear in a progressive church but I believe they are more liberal in their music.

Upvote 0

Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking with the pastor would be a good first step. Just come out and ask him if the church follows traditional or progressive teachings. You could also talk to other church members, although they may not always know.

If you hear quotes from Ellen White and sermons preached on the coming Sunday law or our need of perfection of character to be overcomers and part of the 144,000, then you know you're in a traditional church. I don't want to speculate on what you might hear in a progressive church but I believe they are more liberal in their music.

am somewhat surprised that you haven't pointed out much if anything from the Scriptures themselves.

As for Ellen White, what is the difference in the between the two groups on this lady? Is her word more important than the Bible or she on equal ground with the disciples?

I been reading Ellen White's book on the Great Controversy. She speaks well of the Reformation and the Reformers, I do have some questions about some of her other topics. I work with several Adventist folks and when I asked them questions I don't get satisfactory answers.

I see that you mention the 144,000, this also figures high in the J.W. doctrine, where do you differ with them on this issue?

Where in Scripture is the Sunday Law mentioned? It talks about keeping the Sabbath, but which day is actually the seventh? No place do I read that Saturday was the end of the week.

Well enough questions for today. I am just interested in your take on these topics.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As for Ellen White, what is the difference in the between the two groups on this lady? Is her word more important than the Bible or she on equal ground with the disciples?

This is a generalized statement but from what I understand, progressives do not put as much stock in the writings of Ellen White. While it's true that some traditionalists tend to emphasize her word above the Bible on certain issues, for the most part, she is regarded as instructive in understanding the Bible. If her writings go beyond the role of the 'lesser light pointing to the greater light' then that is dangerous ground. For those that say she takes away from Christ's central role in our lives have not read her... she does anything but.

I been reading Ellen White's book on the Great Controversy. She speaks well of the Reformation and the Reformers, I do have some questions about some of her other topics. I work with several Adventist folks and when I asked them questions I don't get satisfactory answers.

Not all SDA are equal in their understanding or ability to share things about our beliefs... please ask away about other questions you have.

I see that you mention the 144,000, this also figures high in the J.W. doctrine, where do you differ with them on this issue?

I do not know the JW doctrine on the 144000. We believe that after the close of probation and during the time of Jacobs trouble, that there will be 144000 (figurative or literal) people that have purified themselves, through the workings of the Holy Spirit, to be able to stand without Christ as our intersessor through the onslaught of Satans wrath against them, until Christ comes.

Where in Scripture is the Sunday Law mentioned? It talks about keeping the Sabbath, but which day is actually the seventh? No place do I read that Saturday was the end of the week.

The Sunday law is something we are told, through inspiration, that will come as the deciding test to the people on the earth... to decide between whom they worship, God on His day that He has hallowed and sanctified, or Satan, on the day he set up as worship to him. It is not in the Bible but comes as a prophetic message to God's people. You will read about it as you get near the end of The Great Controversy.

As far as the Sabbath and when it is in the week, we have the continuous keeping of it by the Jews for 3500 years. Also, if you look at the word used for Saturday in many other languages, it translates as Sabbath or rest.

Well enough questions for today. I am just interested in your take on these topics.

Hope these answered have helped... :)

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think with the traditional SDA, you will find they still value Mrs White's writings very very much . And they don't question her work much either. & when it comes to the word of God :scratch: vs hers, I dont know which comes first...

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟98,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think with the traditional SDA, you will find they still value Mrs White's writings very very much . And they don't question her work much either. & when it comes to the word of God :scratch: vs hers, I dont know which comes first...

Ellen White is not a surface read. You will always have a mistaken perception of her writings as long as you think you can read the surface of her writings. I have studied both her writings and the Bible for more than 4 decades and have never found conflict between them.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟371,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just curious to know if you can tell when you're setting foot in a traditional, progressive or independent SDA church?
they emphasize different things?

Traditionalist, emphasize the IJ, Last generation theology, character perfection, 144000, 1844 and lots and lots of Ellen White. Last days perseution. Sabbath seal of God, Sunday Mark of beast

Conservative, - some EGW confict of ages series and SC, MB, COL, but mainly bible with SDA slant, 1844 date, IJ, some preaching on it, obedience to 10 commandments. Historicist prophecy,Sabbath seal of God, Sunday Mark of beast

Evangelical - Mainline Protestant commonalities, Sabbath, Historicist prophecy, Sabbath seal of God, Sunday Mark of beast, discipleship, lifestyle, Grace.

Upvote 0