How can you financially support a church whose finances are in a secret black box?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,429,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because they didn't need it and you wanted to give to something that needed it.

That has nothing to do with "transparency." And it would affect whether I gave to something that was otherwise being neglected.

Some 'churches' have huge endowments of millions they have built up over the years. Still appealing for more. Also, they may be barely accomplishing their mission while spending lavishly on things you aren't allowed to know about and would never condone.

That's not difficult for a member to discern on a case-by-case basis. It's not something I would assume just because I don't personally get a look at their books.

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I stopped tithing when I started work in a church as a finance assistant and saw ridiculous self indulgence and reimbursements the pastor was getting . Also the wasted finances when the artsy staff ran with fleeting ideas and useless ways to spend it. Witnessing the greed on one end while knowing strugglers were diligently tithing was hard to see.
This church had board members who were all friends with the pastor and would say yes to anything. The yearly audits didnt stop any greed as there is legal loopholes for spendage.
I actually quit and stopped going to church altogether when the hypocrisy became too much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟239,476.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some churches even print the YTD giving in the weekly church bulletin where it can be seen if the church is over or under budget as the year progresses."

In the church I attend there is an independent audit of the church finances by an accountancy firm, the full statement of accounts and the auditors report is available to all members and regular attending non members before the AGM. The AGM is not a rubber stamp exercise, there can be robust discussion and new decisions made. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Avoid even the appearance of evil. Concealing financial information from members is at best bad practice IMHO. I hope your CC church see the light soon. God Bless :)

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟86,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the church I attend there is an independent audit of the church finances by an accountancy firm, the full statement of accounts and the auditors report is available to all members and regular attending non members before the AGM. The AGM is not a rubber stamp exercise, there can be robust discussion and new decisions made. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Avoid even the appearance of evil. Concealing financial information from members is at best bad practice IMHO. I hope your CC church see the light soon. God Bless :)
I don't know what AGM is. I must have missed it.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟239,476.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what AGM is. I must have missed it.
Annual general meeting. it's where the financial report is presented, new elders and deacons are elected, big decisions are voted on by the congregation and a time of prayer together for the gospel work of the church. God Bless :)

Upvote 0