How can we sleep when the bats are boiling?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to the article, "hundreds" of bats have boiled inside their skins. The average windmill of the new style consumes tens of thousands of bats and birds each year...and none of the environmental warriors who fret about ecological matters seem to give a hoot about that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Source for that number please....
Here's one of many you can easily check out. Note that it's from the environmental folks themselves, not some skeptics, and the point of their article is to say that it's not a serious problem although many thousands are killed by wind turbines...since cats kill more. :rolleyes:

I assume they are not campaigning for the extermination of housecats, however.

Wind turbines kill around 300,000 birds annually, house cats around 3,000,000,000

Incidentally, I have read a number of articles that deal with what it's like to live in the shadow of these gigantic, moving structures. In addition to vibrations and other issues that we aren't discussing here, many people who have a turbine on their property talk about having to pick up bunches of dead birds that litter the ground every day.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Here's one of many you can easily check out. Note that it's from the environmental folks themselves, not some skeptics, and the point of their article is to say that it's not a serious problem although tens of thousands are killed by wind turbines...since cats kill more. :rolleyes: I assume they are not campaigning for the extermination of housecats, however.

Wind turbines kill around 300,000 birds annually, house cats around 3,000,000,000
Will that doesnt add up at all.

Given your numbers it would take at maximum only 30 windmills to do all that damage rather then the thousands that are at work.

Perspective from your source:
state-of-birds-2014-001.jpg

I am all for reducing wind turbine threats to birds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Will that doesnt add up at all.

Given your numbers it would take at maximum only 30 windmills to do all that damage rather then the thousands that are at work.
First, they're not my numbers. They're numbers given by an environmentalist outfit. Second, it's but a single article given to show you that the basic idea is correct. I'm not about to do all your homework for you.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
First, they're not my numbers. They're numbers given by an environmentalist outfit. Second, it's but a single article given to show you that the basic idea is correct. I'm not about to do all your homework for you.
Here's your numbers: "The average windmill of the new style consumes tens of thousands of bats and birds each year."

There's appx 50,000 wind turbines in the US. So by your numbers the bird strikes should be more like a billion at the least. Thats 4000x more than the actual estimated figure in the article.

Reactions: LinguaIgnota
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's your numbers: "The average windmill of the new style consumes tens of thousands of bats and birds each year."

There's appx 50,000 wind turbines in the US. So by your numbers the bird strikes should be more like a billion at the least. Thats 4000x more than the actual estimated figure in the article.
In fact, the article only spoke of birds, not birds and bats, and I already said that I offered this one article as a quick reply since you weren't interested in learning about the problem for yourself.

So go ahead and fiddle with the figures until you can claim that nothing harmful at all happens as a consequence of wind turbines--if that sort of exercise seems the most important thing to you. The bat population is not going to disappear because of boiling anyway.

:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In fact, the article only spoke of birds, not birds and bats, and I already said that I offered this one article as a quick reply since you weren't interested in learning about the problem for yourself.

So go ahead and fiddle with the figures until you can claim that nothing harmful at all happens as a consequence of wind turbines--if that sort of exercise seems more important to you than doing some actual researching.

:wave:
No, I read the article and all.

But I'm discussing with you and the numbers you presented are plain fiction. Thats why I asked for a source, because what you said sounds like bs. Turns out I'm correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, I read the article and all.

But I'm discussing with you and the numbers you presented are plain fiction. Thats why I asked for a source, because what you said sounds like bs. Turns out I'm correct.
It cannot "turn out" that I'm either correct or incorrect unless it is shown to be so (which you arent interested in attempting). Everyone else got the point right away anyhow.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You know, while the claim is utterly false, it would be amazing to watch a windmill shredding through tens of thousands of birds every year. Assuming that the rate is constant and with tens of thousands, you mean 20k, that would be one bird killed every 26 minutes.

I'd set up a webcam and complile a best off. Put some music to it, maybe "we will rock you".

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, while the claim is utterly false, it would be amazing to watch a windmill shredding through tens of thousands of birds every year. Assuming that the rate is constant and with tens of thousands, you mean 20k, that would be one bird killed every 26 minutes.

I'd set up a webcam and complile a best off. Put some music to it, maybe "we will rock you".
I can see that becoming a very popular series on Youtube. I know I'd subscribe to that channel.

Upvote 0