How can we sleep when the bats are boiling?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I can see that becoming a very popular series on Youtube. I know I'd subscribe to that channel.

In the same vein, since cats kill 10 times as many birds as windmills, that would mean that the average cat choms down a bird every 2,6 minutes. Most impressive, kitty.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the same vein, since cats kill 10 times as many birds as windmills, that would mean that the average cat choms down a bird every 2,6 minutes. Most impressive, kitty.
Even more impressive with how much time they spend sleeping all day.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

How do you get that number?

There are about 100 million pet cats in the U.S. One kill each every couple of weeks is all that is needed. But my bet is that pets account for less than 1% or the housecat kills. There are about 58 million feral or stray cats. They need food and likely account for the kills.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How do you get that number?

There are about 100 million pet cats in the U.S. One kill each every couple of weeks is all that is needed. But my bet is that pets account for less than 1% or the housecat kills. There are about 58 million feral or stray cats. They need food and likely account for the kills.
Well, those are your numbers, not mine.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,452.00
Faith
Christian
You know, while the claim is utterly false, it would be amazing to watch a windmill shredding through tens of thousands of birds every year. Assuming that the rate is constant and with tens of thousands, you mean 20k, that would be one bird killed every 26 minutes.

I'd set up a webcam and complile a best off. Put some music to it, maybe "we will rock you".

"Will it blend - green power edition"

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Climate change is having dramatic effects that scientists simply cannot anticipate.

It's not a "climate change" thing -- bats being killed by heatwaves happens most years in Australia, and has been happening for a long time (the oldest records of it happening go back to 1790).

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sad...those flying foxes are scary looking to foreigners, but undoubtedly a vital part of the ecosystem. Climate change is having dramatic effects that scientists simply cannot anticipate.

Well 400 bats having died from dehydration ( boiling sounds so much more melodramatic so the fact that it is completely fantasy to say they boiled must seem a proper use of literary license to the author .) is probably not going to ruin the ecosystem. I do however completely agree that scientist simply cannot anticipate the effects of climate change. Yet somehow politically motivated scientists and non scientists, including government officials and bureaucrats that would benefit s from an increase in their power and status, keep telling us they can predict what will happen in the future due to climate change so surely that we must trust them implicitly and not question their "solutions" to climate change or be labeled heretics ( or was the word denier?) . Never mind that those solutions are all simply ways to redistribute wealth from one nation to the next and to restrict individual freedom and do nothing to keep the climates from changing nor combat the effects of changing climates.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well 400 bats having died from dehydration ( boiling sounds so much more melodramatic so the fact that it is completely fantasy to say they boiled must seem a proper use of literary license to the author .) is probably not going to ruin the ecosystem. I do however completely agree that scientist simply cannot anticipate the effects of climate change.

As I said, this is not "climate change" -- bats being killed by heatwaves happens most years in Australia, and has been happening for a long time (the oldest records of it happening go back to 1790).

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not a "climate change" thing -- bats being killed by heatwaves happens most years in Australia, and has been happening for a long time (the oldest records of it happening go back to 1790).

But no one was referring to the process of dehyrdration as "boiling " in 1790 . So calling it boiling makes it different can't you see that? If you call something that doesn't seem that dramatic by a name that sounds terribly more dramatic then you can pretend that the situation becomes more dire in reality and that it has never happened before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, while the claim is utterly false, it would be amazing to watch a windmill shredding through tens of thousands of birds every year

I think we could do it, but we'd have to up the speed on the windmills and attach cats to the vanes.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I assume they are not campaigning for the extermination of housecats, however.

Actually, I have indeed seen campaigning for the end of the practice of keeping cats as pets. And dogs. Not just for what they kill, for their environmental impact as obligate carnivores.

I admit that I am not so environmentally hardcore as to forego the company of my beloved felines (but then, I continue to be an omnivore myself and not forego eating meat, either).

As to this, I don't know whether what Radagast says is true and bats die in the heat routinely. I haven't heard that before. But I can see that if weather does get more extreme, that is not likely to help the sustainability of the population; and that is something to be concerned about, as one part of a much bigger picture of safeguarding the integrity of creation (with reference to the Marks of Mission).

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I have indeed seen campaigning for the end of the practice of keeping cats as pets. And dogs. Not just for what they kill, for their environmental impact as obligate carnivores.

Actually, what cats kill isn't really the problem. The problem is that they deprive native carnivores of food. Carnivores like this (endangered) little guy:

300px-Dasyurus_viverrinus.jpg

As to this, I don't know whether what Radagast says is true and bats die in the heat routinely. I haven't heard that before.

I may be Radagast the Brown, Radagast the Bird-tamer, Radagast the Simple, Radagast the Fool, but I know my Australian fruit bats:

2017: Thousands of bats drop dead from trees in NSW heatwave

2014 (5,000 dead bats, NSW): No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

2014 (100,000 dead bats, QLD): About 100,000 bats dead after heatwave in southern Qld

1905, 1913, 1926-1927, 1990-1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002-2007: Multiple mortality events in bats: a global review

1790-91: https://www.realsurf.com/2011/02/06/sydney’s-climate-in-1790-1791/

Upvote 0