how can we deliver a brother or sister who is bewitched?

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the Bible says about this topic?
If someone is bewitched should they not seek God repent, fast and pray for healing?
Shall a bewitched brother/sister not confessed his sin one to another so that the Lord can heal him/she?
If someone it bewitched, is did not a sign of punishment because of rebellion against the Lord, against the authority the Lord has given to government?

Please quote bible reverences in your answers. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If someone is bewitched should they not seek God repent, fast and pray for healing?
Shall a bewitched brother/sister not confessed his sin one to another so that the Lord can heal him/she?
If someone it bewitched, is did not a sign of punishment because of rebellion against the Lord, against the authority the Lord has given to government?

Please quote bible reverences in your answers. Thanks in advance for your replies.
The bible says nothing about witchcraft except that it is not for Christians.

A Christian is someone who has the Spirit of God living in them and as such cannot be possessed by another spirit.

If they have been playing with nonchristian magic etc they need to turn back to God and confess their sins to him as 1John 1:9 says if we confess our sins God is faithfull and will forgive us and purify us from all unrightousness.

As it says in gal, What ever is pure, what ever is noble, what ever is right think on these things. or to put it another way Jesus said if your eye causes you to sin, Pluck it out. Which means stop looking at, playing with, thinking about evil unGodly magic and throw out everything from your life and house that reminds you of it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yahweh is everywhere.

No, it's not punishment. Yahweh is about reconciliation so repentance and surrendering would be vital components. But you would need to be lead by The Holy Spirit because:

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45.

So you can see this isn't for a non-believer. Prior to deliverance, a believer would need to understand how important it is for them to study Scriptures consistently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yahweh is everywhere.

No, it's not punishment. Yahweh is about reconciliation so repentance and surrendering would be vital components. But you would need to be lead by The Holy Spirit because:

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45.

So you can see this isn't for a non-believer. Prior to deliverance, a believer would need to understand how important it is for them to study Scriptures consistently.
It certainly wouldn't be a sign of punishment from the Lord for someone to be bewitched.

One meaning of bewitched is the example of Simon the Sorcerer in Acts who thought to buy the Holy Spirit. In Acts 8:9-21 bewitched means being "overwhelmed with wonder."
The other word, baskaino of Galatians 3:1 means "to fascinate by false representation." It would not have been the Lord who had led them to accept a teaching that was contrary to Christ.

Teachings from the past that occult powers could be controlled were hard for the early church to eradicate. We are instructed to guard what has been entrusted into our care. We're told to turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge. 1 Timothy 6:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We're told to turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge. 1 Timothy 6:20

Profound that ... Cassia :oldthumbsup: .

In KJV it says science yet "knowledge" alone is science... Falsely calling a nongodly study of arcane things a pursuit of knowledge/science leaves out the spirit that leads one to the pursuit... Profound that!

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your reading has caused me to look deeper too :oldthumbsup:

Guarding the trust can be seen as us guarding the down-payment we have been given as well as that which we have entrusted to Him being also guarded

2 Timothy 1:12
For which cause also I suffer these things; but I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that He is able to guard my deposit unto that day.​

It's good to see the pattern of healthy words contained therein

Revelation 3:3
Remember therefore how you have received and heard, and keep it and repent. If therefore you will not watch, I will come as a thief, and you shall by no means know at what hour I will come upon you.​

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please clarify further: are you talking about being oppressed or possessed?
A believer cannot be possessed by demonic spirits because the Holy Spirit indwells them, but they can be oppressed, influenced by the evil.

Prayer and fasting of the person who is going to try and help that person, for surely the evil spirits will come after them too.

A full faith in God and understanding of His power within the believer who will try and help that person is also required.

There are scriptures that give us the examples
Here are a few background scriptures: 10 Bible verses about Evil Spirits

And here are parameters for helping them. Remember that the one possessed must be led to a true belief in Christ or they will be worse off than before, later on. How to Remove an Evil Spirit From a Person | Synonym

This is not done lightly. Some ministers and many priests are specially trained and supported to do this.
The best thing to do is pray with power for them, asking God's guidance.

• Useful
Reactions: Alicia Schout
Upvote 0

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A believer cannot be possessed by demonic spirits because the Holy Spirit indwells them, but they can be oppressed, influenced by the evil.

Prayer and fasting of the person who is going to try and help that person, for surely the evil spirits will come after them too.

A full faith in God and understanding of His power within the believer who will try and help that person is also required.

There are scriptures that give us the examples
Here are a few background scriptures: 10 Bible verses about Evil Spirits

And here are parameters for helping them. Remember that the one possessed must be led to a true belief in Christ or they will be worse off than before, later on. How to Remove an Evil Spirit From a Person | Synonym

This is not done lightly. Some ministers and many priests are specially trained and supported to do this.
The best thing to do is pray with power for them, asking God's guidance.
I don't mean evil-possessed but under the influenced of bewitchment, because of his or her own weakness (stronghold).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The bible says nothing about witchcraft except that it is not for Christians.

A Christian is someone who has the Spirit of God living in them and as such cannot be possessed by another spirit.
Sorry John, but this is plain wrong. I have done deliverance from demonic powers thousands of times in the last 40 or so years, and always on Christians.
That means I cast the demons out of them, -just like Jesus commanded.
Even though a Christian has the Holy Spirit, he can still have demons within him.

Once you have seen someone actually get set free from demons, the silly theoretical debate of whether a Christian can be possessed or just oppressed becomes a complete irrelevance.

Instead of forever arguing theory, its time the saints obeyed the gospel!

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
This constantly repeated statement that a Christian cannot be possessed by demonic spirits is just playing with irrelevant words.
Even though a person is born again by the spirit of God, they can still have demonic spirits dwelling within their body and it is from their body that they must be cast out.
I am not talking mere theory, but the practical and real experience of casting thousands of demons out of Christians over the last 40 years.

If we are in Christ, then we should no fear of demons.
Casting demons out is the ministry of every Christian, not just special ministers or priests.

Just wondering, have you ever actually cast a demon out of anyone, or are you just theorising?

Upvote 0

celestialpearl

Baby Anglican
Oct 3, 2017
Kentucky
✟14,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 1 John 5:18

There is no biblical example of a christian being possessed. Just saying.:)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 1 John 5:18

There is no biblical example of a christian being possessed. Just saying.:)
Very relevant Scriptures.:)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Often, groups that are bewitched quote bible verses (remember satan did, and the scribes, pharisees and religious TORAH teachers did - the ones who sought to put JESUS MESSIAH to death).

If someone is bewitched, they do not usually know it.

Jesus can set them free easily, though people's stubbornness, rebellion and unwillingness to believe in Him and to obey Him can make it difficult to impossilbe: "Jesus did not many miracles there because of their unbelief" (notice they were stubborn and rebellious and sinning daily) .

Seek and find a holy (set apart) assembly of ekklesia, with good results in healing, and ask them to pray. Perhaps YHWH will permit them to deliver your friend.

No. This is a common tactic of many chruches to blame the victim instead of helping them. The chruch is then in worse shape than the bewitched one, or at least will suffer a much greater punishment/judgment from the Master Yeshua.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good verses... believers cannot be POSSESSED by the devil or his minions because God seals them (us) until the day of redemption and no man takes them away. Also, we are clothed in the righteousness of God, which would be impossible as demon possessed. There are a 100 verses or so about being sealed by God once we believe.

Ephesians 4:30 ESV
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Ephesians 1:13 ESV /
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Ephesians 1:13-14 ESV
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Romans 8:9 ESV
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

2 Corinthians 1:22 ESV
And who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Romans 8:16 ESV
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Acts 2:38 ESV
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:1-47 ESV
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. ...

Hebrews 2:10 ESV
For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering.

2 Timothy 2:19 ESV
But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

Ephesians 1:1-23 ESV
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, ...

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 ESV
And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This constantly repeated statement that a Christian cannot be possessed by demonic spirits is just playing with irrelevant words.
Even though a person is born again by the spirit of God, they can still have demonic spirits dwelling within their body and it is from their body that they must be cast out.
I am not talking mere theory, but the practical and real experience of casting thousands of demons out of Christians over the last 40 years.

If we are in Christ, then we should no fear of demons.

Casting demons out is the ministry of every Christian, not just special ministers or priests.

Just wondering, have you ever actually cast a demon out of anyone, or are you just theorising?

I have indeed. I thought all believers were able to discern evil spirits, but alas I am wrong. Perhaps each one does have the potential but for some reason don't? I am sensitive anyway so perhaps that is part of it... thousands? naw. I don't dwell where they do I guess. Believers can be OPPRESSED but not POSSESSED because GOD POSSESSES believers!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry John, but this is plain wrong. I have done deliverance from demonic powers thousands of times in the last 40 or so years, and always on Christians.
That means I cast the demons out of them, -just like Jesus commanded.
Even though a Christian has the Holy Spirit, he can still have demons within him.

Once you have seen someone actually get set free from demons, the silly theoretical debate of whether a Christian can be possessed or just oppressed becomes a complete irrelevance.

Instead of forever arguing theory, its time the saints obeyed the gospel!
Welcome Francis, another forum where we can bicker and disagree.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have enjoyed reading Sir Drakes posts before and this one was no exception.
I can remember having a vision ... a rather strange one ... when I wasn't at a good place in life. To be honest I had unequally yoked myself with someone I shouldn't have. In the vision I saw the Holy Spirit come dancing in like a beautiful sunshine and then recoil in horror from what appeared to be a weary warrior on a horse. It was strange but it made me take a step back and realize what I was inviting into my life thru an unhealthy relationship.

Upvote 0