How can supporting Roy Moore be consistent with Christianity?

umbrabates

Author
Dec 21, 2017
Central Valley, California
✟18,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
However, you are not a Christian.
What exactly is that supposed to mean, how is that criticism helpful, and what are you implying?

Am I somehow disqualified from making observations? Does my recent loss of faith somehow disqualify 40 years of Christian upbringing? Being raised in the church, serving as an altar boy, teaching Sunday school, serving as a lector, leading prayer groups, studying the Bible, suddenly my opinion holds no sway, no meaning whatsoever because I am no longer a card-carrying member of your private club?

It seems that all you see is the "atheist" tag under my name and that is all you need to know about me. Being atheist doesn't mean that I am wholly ignorant, unqualified to participate in a conversation, or that I don't understand faith.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What exactly is that supposed to mean, how is that criticism helpful, and what are you implying?

Am I somehow disqualified from making observations? Does my recent loss of faith somehow disqualify 40 years of Christian upbringing? Being raised in the church, serving as an altar boy, teaching Sunday school, serving as a lector, leading prayer groups, studying the Bible, suddenly my opinion holds no sway, no meaning whatsoever because I am no longer a card-carrying member of your private club?

It seems that all you see is the "atheist" tag under my name and that is all you need to know about me. Being atheist doesn't mean that I am wholly ignorant, unqualified to participate in a conversation, or that I don't understand faith.
There are some christians who would tell you that an atheist, one isn't able to grasp the meaning of scripture because they lack divine inspiration or something like that.

Only those who believe can understand it.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, you are correct but only in God's eyes or the person who has committed a crime. No one else knows for sure until He is given a fair trial under the laws of the land.
That's silly - you're saying that if someone robs you in broad daylight, you won't know if he's guilty or not until the jury decides?

His guilt is either a fact or not - whether anyone knows doesn't impact the fact.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Because of abortions.
I can understand people using the abortion issue as a reason to vote , to some extent. However, they are living in a dream world if they think that the Supreme Court will ever turn back the clock and suddenly throw out Rowe vs Wade. The odds of such happening are extremely slim.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

It sounds like you have a longer history with Christianity than what a lot of posters on this board have been alive.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A man is innocent until proven guilty. Many say these were false charges made up by the Left so their guy would be elected. How ingenious, has that ever been done before?
My question is, why would an atheist be concerned about how Christians view this man or the world? They seem to be against anything we do, against Christ, against our beliefs, and many are not really seeking anything on this forum but come to just argue with, dismantle are views and make a mockery -- kinda like what you just did. You are putting Christianity on trial because of people voting for this guy. Oh well, he lost anyways ... so now you can go to another topic and struggle with some more of our views.
How about if someone is shown to be not guilty over and over again but still gets called guilty by lots of Republicans/conservatives? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have trouble understanding how people who claim to be strong Christians can support a man like Roy Moore and vote to put him in a position of power.

The claims of his accusers seem believable, are corroborated by the testimonies of others, and have supporting evidence such as the yearbook signing and the graduation card signed by Moore.

Moore claims he didn't know these women, but he signed a yearbook and gave a graduation card to another. Clearly, the most likely scenario is that, at the very least, he is lying.

So, why support a man who may have molested children? How can this be supported by Christianity? At the very least, write in a decent candidate like Luther Strange.

I am genuinely curious and struggling to understand this point of view

I'm not in the least bit surprised that so many evangelical conservative Christians support a man like Roy Moore because they support the current president after all. And everyone who isn't in denial of how the current president behaves or who attempts to make excuses for his behavior knows what that means. I've been listening to these Christians praise the current president for months now despite everything disturbing he has said and done. So, for them to support a man like Roy Moore comes as no surprise to me. And as a good friend of mine, who was once a evangelical conservative Christian herself, likes to say "Birds of a feather stick together!" when she now talks about conservatives.

Just keep in mind it was Alabama politics. Not all Christians live in Alabama.

Some Christians, particularly conservative evangelicals, will have a tribalist mentality and will circle-the-wagons in a heartbeat when they perceivse one of their heroes under attack. I don't think most Christians are necessarily like that.

No, most Christians aren't like that. It seems to be limited to the group of Christians you mentioned. I know quite a few Christians that I actually respect because they are kind and compassionate toward marginalized people (LGBT in particular) and are clearly concerned about climate change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, you are not disqualified. You just need to understand how this defense mechanism is applied whenever someone, who is no longer a Christian, questions Christianity or who criticizes something that has to do with conservative evangelical politics or conservative evangelical policies.

It sounds like you have a longer history with Christianity than what a lot of posters on this board have been alive.

I agree.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can understand people using the abortion issue as a reason to vote , to some extent. However, they are living in a dream world if they think that the Supreme Court will ever turn back the clock and suddenly throw out Rowe vs Wade. The odds of such happening are extremely slim.
Jesus will get rid of pro choice when He returns.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's silly - you're saying that if someone robs you in broad daylight, you won't know if he's guilty or not until the jury decides?

His guilt is either a fact or not - whether anyone knows doesn't impact the fact.
Well of course, the victim knows and any witnesses, which is what makes a good case.
But, if the victim is lying and there are no witnesses and no evidence, it's one person's word against another's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I wonder how many conservative evangelicals are simply using abortion as a political guise, but have never actually stood up and fought against it, like standing outside an abortion clinic to minister to the women going into the clinic. As someone who has spent years involved in political activism and social justice issues, speaking against an social issue like abortion is one thing, but actually doing something to combat it is another. I'm curious how many evangelicals actually lift a finger to make a difference.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I wonder how many conservative evangelicals are simply using abortion as a political guise, but have never actually stood up and fought against it, like standing outside an abortion clinic to minister to the women going into the clinic. As someone who has spent years involved in political activism and social justice issues, speaking against an social issue like abortion is one thing, but actually doing something to combat it is another. I'm curious how many evangelicals actually lift a finger to make a difference.
Some have picketed abortion clinics in the past, but the courts intervened, as some were trying to block people from getting inside or something close to that. I have not heard about much picketing lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How about if someone is shown to be not guilty over and over again but still gets called guilty by lots of Republicans/conservatives? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:
You can't be thinking of Hillary?
Or her husband?

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...I don't think you're supposed to answer a question with a question. :wave:
tulc(care to try again?) :)
Are those your rules? Democrats seem to live by a double standard, insisting others follow the rules but they themselves are above them -- like Hillary and her Husband!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

umbrabates

Author
Dec 21, 2017
Central Valley, California
✟18,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are those your rules? Democrats seem to live by a double standard, insisting others follow the rules but they themselves are above them -- like Hillary and her Husband!
That seems to be true of most, if not all politicians. The hypocrisy you describe isn't a Democrat problem or a Republican problem. It's a politics problem. It's an American problem.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That seems to be true of most, if not all politicians. The hypocrisy you describe isn't a Democrat problem or a Republican problem. It's a politics problem. It's an American problem.

You're trying to take away the most favorite tactics of deflection among conservatives who support the current president though. Whenever the current president's behavior or his leadership is being criticized, these are some of the deflections that seem to be the most popular ones used.

Upvote 0