How can supporting Roy Moore be consistent with Christianity?

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pardoning convicts is what presidents do - it a power given to them by the Constitution. Pardons, of course, are only given to people who have actually been convicted of something, and a pardon merely prevents any sentence from being imposed - it doesn't ordinarily overturn the conviction. Let the system convict Moore if he did anything wrong. No need for petty gossip.
It voids the conviction, unlike commuting the sentence. A pardon can also be granted before or long after any punishment just to wipe a record clean - for instance, George Steinbrenner was convicted and fined in 1974 (illegal campaign contributions), but pardoned in 1989.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
170825201443-02-joe-arpaio-exlarge-169.jpg

He really does look like a large, orange Pepe.
Good.
CNN said:
"The power to pardon is an executive prerogative of mercy, not of judicial recordkeeping," Bolton wrote in the document. "To vacate all rulings in this case would run afoul of this important distinction."
"The pardon undoubtedly spared Defendant from any punishment that might otherwise have been imposed. It did not, however, 'revise the historical facts' of this case," she wrote.

Bolton handed down a guilty verdict in the former sheriff's criminal contempt case in July.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Where did you get absolute faith from? If man is accused of crime, it should be dealt with through the proper legal channels, no?

And when such a man is a political ally of the current president, a man who demands and values personal loyalty above all things, there's a very real possibility that the crime becomes irrelevant.

Upvote 0

umbrabates

Author
Dec 21, 2017
Central Valley, California
✟18,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Most of the accusations against Moore were from women who merely reported that he had dated them, with no physical contact beyond kissing, or asked them out. The press lumped these trivial episodes in with actual criminal allegations.

I think what you call "lumping in" was more a practice of including corroborating evidence that contextualizes the very serious criminal accusations.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0