• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How can I stop doubting my salvation?

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Previously my OCD was centered on the outside world, like checking things or symmetry. After I got saved, my obsessions have been mostly religious and inside my head. The worst of them is doubting my salvation as it's the most important thing to me.
My obsessive-compulsive cycles start with doubting my salvation (the obsession). Then I remind myself in my mind that Jesus paid my sins (compulsion), what causes a great relief from the anxiety.
The problem is that the second time the obsession happens, it isn't enough to remind myself of Jesus' work. I have to add detail and repetition to my compulsions: "I'm a sinner. I have sinned much. I'm a sinner, OK. And Jesus, God's Son, became flesh. He kept the Law perfectly. He died on the cross, not for His sins, as He didn't have them, but for my sins. I'm the one who sinned, and He was punished for my sins. Okay, so I will not go to Hell, because my the penalty for my sins has already been paid." This time the anxiety doesn't go down, but increases!
Then I understand that it's only my OCD and wait for a week or so until I can again easily reassure myself.

Is trusting in Jesus something we do in our heads? Does it mean to think that we are saved because of Jesus, or just trusting that He has done it all?

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7

Danny snape

Dec 18, 2016
Manchester
✟8,845.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Previously my OCD was centered on the outside world, like checking things or symmetry. After I got saved, my obsessions have been mostly religious and inside my head. The worst of them is doubting my salvation as it's the most important thing to me.
My obsessive-compulsive cycles start with doubting my salvation (the obsession). Then I remind myself in my mind that Jesus paid my sins (compulsion), what causes a great relief from the anxiety.
The problem is that the second time the obsession happens, it isn't enough to remind myself of Jesus' work. I have to add detail and repetition to my compulsions: "I'm a sinner. I have sinned much. I'm a sinner, OK. And Jesus, God's Son, became flesh. He kept the Law perfectly. He died on the cross, not for His sins, as He didn't have them, but for my sins. I'm the one who sinned, and He was punished for my sins. Okay, so I will not go to Hell, because my the penalty for my sins has already been paid." This time the anxiety doesn't go down, but increases!
Then I understand that it's only my OCD and wait for a week or so until I can again easily reassure myself.

Is trusting in Jesus something we do in our heads? Does it mean to think that we are saved because of Jesus, or just trusting that He has done it all?

The world and its desirespass away but the man who does the will of God lives forever
1 john 2:17

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaleena

Dec 18, 2016
United States
✟17,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Fish14,

I have had similar struggles in the past with this. My pastor helped me unravel a false conversion and preached the Gospel to me. Now I know that I had a false conversion and am waiting on the Lord to save me. Even while I am waiting, I am at peace with the knowledge that God chooses the sinner, not the other way around. I had tormenting intrusive thoughts and compulsions and I have obtained so much relief. Feel free to contact me anytime at getreadyforthelord@gmail.com. I have some articles and videos that I could send to you on the subject.

Upvote 0

Griswold

Nov 7, 2016
United States
✟9,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What you are describing is pretty common among those with OCD. We don't trust nor take in the evidence. Sure we do at first, but when it repeatedly comes back it no longer satisfies. For example, first time we check to make sure the door is locked we check it once and are satisfied. Afterward however we begin to check it 2 or three times, then we get to the car, and say, I better check one more time and we start all over again. It's a vicious cycle. The fact we would carry this over to things such as our salvation that are far more important than a door being locked should be no surprise to us. To the Christian who has had their mind open to wonderful things, it's no surprise then that same mind would eventually, because it lacks total knowledge, begin to fear losing those wonderful things. You need to be careful not to lean on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5) because your own understanding cannot give you the assurance you keep demanding of it. That's the hang-up with those of us who have OCD.

Trusting in Jesus is taking Him at His word. It's a choice. There is more dynamic too it as faith is also a gift from God the very same God who wishes that all come to repentance and that none perish. We don't always feel faith and we don't have too (our feelings may pull into alignment as we see Jesus come through). In Jeremiah it says the heart is evil and desperately wicked, therefore we should not trust it. Consider the centurion. He took Jesus at His Word and Jesus marveled at his faith. Noah took God at His word and he built the ark.

Hi Fish14,

I have had similar struggles in the past with this. My pastor helped me unravel a false conversion and preached the Gospel to me. Now I know that I had a false conversion and am waiting on the Lord to save me. Even while I am waiting, I am at peace with the knowledge that God chooses the sinner, not the other way around. I had tormenting intrusive thoughts and compulsions and I have obtained so much relief. Feel free to contact me anytime at getreadyforthelord@gmail.com. I have some articles and videos that I could send to you on the subject.

There is not a future date set on the invitation from the Lord. He does NOT say "all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved... when the Lord get's around to it" (Romans 10:13, see also Acts 2:38). On the contrary, there is a call to urgency throughout scripture to not delay (1 Peter 4:3, Matthew 24:44, 2 Corinthians 6:2) and that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand (Matthew 3:2, 4:17). There are actually rebukes to those who decide to not answer the call now assuming they can later. Luke 12:20, Proverbs 27:1, James 4:13-16. Do not fail to heed the following verse:

for He says,

“At the acceptable time I listened to you,
And on the day of salvation I helped you.”

Behold, now is “the acceptable time,” behold, now is “the day of salvation”—
- 2 Corinthians 6:2

and:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. - Hebrews 13:8

I'm concerned that you are living a defeated Christian life. That possibly the enemy has convinced you that you cannot be effective because you have not been affected. I'm more greatly concerned that you are attempting to share this ideology with others.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fish14
Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ was not sacrificed for our sins

God is not only graceful, but perfectly just. Somebody has to die to pay the price for sin. It's either you (second death, Rev. 20:14) or Jesus.

Thankfully "He died for our sins" (1 Cor. 15:3) as a sacrifice (Eph. 5:2)

• Agree
Reactions: Griswold
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God is not only graceful, but perfectly just. Somebody has to die to pay the price for sin. It's either you (second death, Rev. 20:14) or Jesus.

Thankfully "He died for our sins" (1 Cor. 15:3) as a sacrifice (Eph. 5:2)
Hosea 6: 6 For I desired mercy, AND NOT SACRIFICE; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
Revelation 2:11 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who is victorious will not be hurt at all by the second death.
Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.
Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to {u]the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”[/u]
Jude 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Upvote 0

Griswold

Nov 7, 2016
United States
✟9,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

How can anyone resurrect to life, if everyone has done evil? The answer is simple. Jesus took our sins and died for them on the cross.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

On what basis do you think you're entering Heaven, if you don't believe that Jesus was sacrificed for your sins?

Brother, you've encouraged me! I know there's a separate reason you posted on this forum in the first place but your defense shows me two things about you that I hope indirectly address your original concerns. First is the evidence of your understanding of the gospel message accurately which can only be done by the Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:14), second is your willingness to give an account for the hope that is in you with gentleness and reverence (1 Peter 3:15). Both testify to God at work in you!

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. On what basis do you think you're entering Heaven, if you don't believe that Jesus was sacrificed for your sins?
Acts 26:6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God, unto our fathers:
What promise? Acts 7:5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child.
Romans 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
But why then does it say in John 3:13
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Not even David BUT HE WAITS FOR THE RETURN OF CHRIST: Acts 2:33-34 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy SPIRIT, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens
Ezek 37:27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Zechariah 2:10 Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the Lord.
Zechariah 8:3 Thus saith the Lord; I am returned unto Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and Jerusalem shall be called a city of truth; and the mountain of the Lord of hosts the holy mountain.
Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Zechariah 14:11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.
Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Revelation 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
Mat:13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
2Th 1:9 Who shall pay a penalty [G1349 δικη] of everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 26:6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God, unto our fathers:
What promise? Acts 7:5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child.
Romans 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
But why then does it say in John 3:13
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Not even David BUT HE WAITS FOR THE RETURN OF CHRIST: Acts 2:33-34 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy SPIRIT, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens
Ezek 37:27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Zechariah 2:10 Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the Lord.
Zechariah 8:3 Thus saith the Lord; I am returned unto Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem: and Jerusalem shall be called a city of truth; and the mountain of the Lord of hosts the holy mountain.
Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Zechariah 14:11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.
Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Revelation 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
Mat:13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
2Th 1:9 Who shall pay a penalty [G1349 δικη] of everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

I don't see the connection between those verses, but if God doesn't accept the sacrifice of His Son as the payment for our sins, we will all go to hell.

You put emphasis on "the bad cast away". As I already said, we're ALL bad. That's exactly why we need somebody else (JESUS) to die for our sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't see the connection between those verses, but if God doesn't accept the sacrifice of His Son as the payment for our sins, we will all go to hell. You put emphasis on "the bad cast away". As I already said, we're ALL bad. That's exactly why we need somebody else (JESUS) to die for our sins.
Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy or G1653 έλεησον ελεεω compassion, 2435 ιλαστηριον; ιλασμος; votive gift, used as a propitiatory gift; not sacrifice or G536 απαρχη απαρχαιωμένος entrance fee, and acknowledgment G4135 πεπληροφορημενον πεπαλαιωμένος informed, knowledgeable of God rather than burnt offerings.
Hebrews 5:13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.
1 Corinthians 3:2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
MOD HAT ON
THIS THREAD IS UNDERGOING A CLEAN UP
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT RECOVERY IS NOT FOR DEBATE BUT FOR SUPPORT FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR PEERS
PLEASE REFER TO THE RECOVERY GUIDELINES HERE
HAPPY NEW YEAR

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

knowimsaved

Aug 6, 2009
✟15,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I highly recommend you read the book Knowing I’m Saved:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1983249580

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I highly recommend you read the book Knowing I’m Saved:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1983249580
It's been nearly two years since I posted this, and my doubts have disappeared. My problem was analysing repeatedly whether my sinner's prayer is sincere enough, like the man in the book (I read the first few pages for free). Then I simply learned to trust that Jesus atoned for my sins, and that worked well.:)

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
It's been nearly two years since I posted this, and my doubts have disappeared. My problem was analysing repeatedly whether my sinner's prayer is sincere enough, like the man in the book (I read the first few pages for free). Then I simply learned to trust that Jesus atoned for my sins, and that worked well.:)

That's good to hear.

I have had religious scrupulosity (what you are describing) in the past but I found when I became Lutheran that gradually subsided. The internal logic of Lutheranism makes scrupulosity difficult to keep its hold over you. It doesn't mean the underlying anxiety necessarily goes away but it keeps religious beliefs from intensifying it.

In some Protestant traditions of spirituality, a certain amount of scrupulosity or doubt is a necessary stage of spiritual maturity. Sometimes, though, people can get stuck in religious rumination and this can lead to anxiety or depression.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0