at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Well my situation is that im a divorced single mum with a son aged 12.My ex husband has no faith but I love jesus,when my son goes to visit himm he is an ungodly example,but I cant really stop my son from seeing him because he loves his dad and his dads girlfriend even though they are not walking in Jesus ways,yes i have prayed about it and try to talk to him about Jesus and read literature to him.Im worried because my son has no interest in going to church,he says he loves Jesus but he never wants to join me for church.Im not sure what to do now.The problem is im a seventh day adventist christian and my church day is saturday but Peter goes to his dad on Saturdays organised by the law.I have suggested other churches ie pentecostal churches on sun but hes still not interested,im worried about this.

Reactions: HiltiesGwerf

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever tried getting your son to go to sunday school? or, perhaps youth group at your church?

If he doesn't like going to church which a lot of kids don't like, then perhaps he would enjoy youth group. I don't know what your church is like, but at my church, youth group goes like this: they come in around 6:30pm on Sunday night, they have a scheduled game or 2 w/ music, then they go downstairs for announcements and have small group per grade in which they have a small bible study type of thing that pertains to them and what they may be going through. The small group lasts for half hour, then they go upstairs for a snack and end the night playing dodgeball. All the kids have a blast - they love it - even the ones who are not christians - they enjoy socializing w/ their friends, playing games and listening to music but the small group gives them a chance to go a little deeper and learn about God and maybe it will help your son out too if he's willing.

The youth groups usually have different fun events during the year too that also coincide w/ the sunday school meetings on sunday morning. Try and get your son hyped up for youth group and first meet w/ the youth pastor so that your son doesn't feel all alone or have him bring a friend w/ him to youth group and tell him that he'll have a lot of fun (hopefully).

Upvote 0

Orahh

Apr 25, 2009
NSW, Australia
✟15,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I agree with youth groups. If you look around your area and see which church has the most vibrant youth group.
I used to go to youth group when I was a bit younger and there was a lot of kids around 12 to 15 years who loved it. They weren't necaccarily from christain homes and a lot didn't want God. But they came to youth group for the free food, to play games and make friends. At times a lot would ignor the part where someone would get on stage and talk about God or perform a drama. But there were many times where a lot of kids who I didn't expect to, responded to the word of God.
best of luck :)

Upvote 0

Kalasin

Dec 18, 2010
✟15,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Try and find an unconventional church. I didn't think I would ever attend church again, but then I came across a house church on one evening where they did away with the sermon and had a night where people could ask questions instead (they had such nights once a month.) Perhaps he would enjoy something like that? Alternatively, Christian youth groups (even if they don't have sermons) are a great idea. I would go along a few times though and check the atmosphere of the thing. Sometimes "Christian" groups can do more harm than good if God is not there.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
...And he's twelve. He might just want to go places without a parent by his side, so he look tougher and more mature. If you can organize something with a friend's parent, he might be more open to trying.

Do you think he might have had any bad experiences that he never talked about? It wouldn't have to be a drastic one -- just something that made him feel unwelcome.

I've heard stories of mean Sunday School teachers; getting lost in a building and then scolded for being in the wrong place; unwanted peers tagging along or flirting against their wishes; getting glares for whispering in the sanctuary.

The children's experiences at a church are different than what adults go through. Be open to listening.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Church service is kinda a lot for children honestly, it is set up like a college lecture.
anyway IMO people 15+ would only have the maturity or need to go to a regular service.
Here's why: kids think it is boring, well it is. I remember being 10 or so and they talked about marriage and finance and I donno what.

Activities MAY be the way to go for a younger person however church is not all activity based. The real important thing is he meets REAL Christians which can be even hard to find in churches.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi JCMJ,

Well, let's start from the beginning. Do you believe that being a part of the SDA is the only way of salvation? If so, then you have to get him to go to worship with you. If not, then why don't you show him how important it is to you by switching to a Sunday worship service so that the two of you can go together. If he hasn't been a regular worship attender then it will all be strange and different to him and he may well be experiencing some anxiety about going alone. Personally I would have never considered sending my child to worship service, certainly in the beginning, without me going.

The other question that immediately comes to my mind is how a son gets to be 12 years old and doesn't feel the need to be in worship if that's the way he was raised. If it wasn't the way he was raised then why do you expect him to go now, just because you're suddenly a believer? So, the best way, I think to get him 'into' worship is to go with him. Make it an important part of your life with him.

When my son was 6 I sat on the side of his bed at night and instead of reading Little Red Riding Hood we read through the proverbs. All I can say is that God has blessed that beyond any measure that I could ever have expected. He's bright, obedient and being contemplated by some very good colleges because of his exceptional grades and quite frankly, other than reading the proverbs and raising him to know the Lord, I've done nothing to cause this kind of outcome in him.

I never chided him to do his homework. He's just always done it. He's 18 now and has had a couple of girlfriends, but we've talked often about his remaining chaste until marriage and I asked him just the other day if we were still on that track and he said yes. He's respectful and, I think, although I'm sure I'm biased, a very good son. He's had his driver's license for 3 years now and has had pretty much free use of the car anytime he wants and still hasn't gotten his first traffic citation. He's just a pretty good kid and all I did was raise him to know the Lord. I have never had to discipline him beyond just saying that I didn't think something was a good idea.

When he was small, oh 3-6, and he'd get into trouble, say backtalking or some petty problem I'd send him to his room for a 10 minute time out. Then when the 10 minutes was done, I'd be very careful about the time, I'd go in and sit on the bed with him and tell him how very much I loved him and wanted only the best for him and did he think that what he had done honored God? We'd talk for a bit and then be off on some other topic and nothing was ever said again, but neither was the behavoir ever repeated. I probably didn't do this more than 3-4 times in his young life.

If it's really that important to you that he know the Lord, and I think it should be, I wouldn't go on just his admission that he loves Jesus, if you don't see any fruit of that love. Only you can judge that. The Scriptures admonish a parent to raise a child up in the way that he should go. Now, I don't think God was talking so much about doing homework or many of the things that we expect of children today, but about raising them to know Him. Really know Him! All I know is that I sit today and think it's a miracle how my son turned out, especially when I listen to all the 'problems' that parents are having today and all I did was raise him up to know the Lord. And when I look around my fellowship at all the youth who seem level headed and responsible, they all have a strong faith already established in the Lord also.

God bless you and you'd better hurry. He's getting to the age where making changes in behaviour can be daunting.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many kids at that age don't enjoy church and prefer not to go. I know I thought of it as more of a chore when I was 12 because so much of it went over my head. It would be great if you can get him there, but if not... maybe try doing Bible study with him at home? Or do a daily devotional together? It's not a substitute for church, but he may still learn what he needs to know at this age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Thanks for all your kind advice,youth clubs are a geat idea,hes very activte and does Sea cadets and plays guitar at rock school,which hes doing very well at but needs spiritual food too.To the question asked yes I have bought up my son to know about Jesus all his life,but i guess coming from a broken home with a non christian dad makes it harder.also yes he did have a bad experience at another church not sda church but a sunday church where the pastor told him he would go to hell if hes naughty,i mean what sort of christiam example is that to say to a child who at the time was only 4 yrs old.

Upvote 0

JCMJ friend

Dec 14, 2010
at home
✟15,294.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Many kids at that age don't enjoy church and prefer not to go. I know I thought of it as more of a chore when I was 12 because so much of it went over my head. It would be great if you can get him there, but if not... maybe try doing Bible study with him at home? Or do a daily devotional together? It's not a substitute for church, but he may still learn what he needs to know at this age.
thanks another good idea and also the idea of a non confrountional church but where he can just ask questions is good idea,im not sure where to fing them churches though.

I cant remeber who asked but no i dont think only adventist will be saved but anyone that loves Jesus,Jesus is the core adventist Jw pentecost catholic baptist muslim jew etc as long as you have Jesus your be saved .

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have a 12 year girl, and she goes to Sunday school. I tried to interest her in y youth, but her ss school teacher said a good time would be when she is in 7th grade when her ss school class will change, and it is likely she will be "invited" then.
I agree on the nondenominational church and the group being something the OP's son might enjoy.
I know a lady whos' been divorced 2x and it was men in her church that sort of filled in the gap for her son, they took an interest in him.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or, Sunday School could turn him off of going to church for good. Some of my worst church experiences growing up were in Sunday School. I'm not anti-youth groups, I think they can be great, but it is no substitute for church.

I know you're SDA and have very different beliefs from me, but (speaking of my faith) I think it is important for kids to be exposed to Divine Liturgy. Kids are part of the life of the church. Just going and having all your senses engaged (incense, venerating icons, lighting candles, crossing yourself, prostrations, prayers) and then partaking of the Eucharist- it is way more than an intellectual consent of believing in Christ- and it is so important for kids and adults alike to experience. There's nothing like it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Parents give their children too much choice..in my home we didnt have an opinion or option of if we wanted to go to church. My parents went, we went. Stop giving your son options.

Did you read the part of her post where she says she doesn't even have legal custody of her son on the day she goes to church? :doh:

And really, that's only good advice if she wants her son to either grow up completely enmeshed with her and/or reject God via psychological reactance. So no.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd talk to him about the reasons and try to compromise, to see if he's open to youth groups and such. If he was younger it would be different, but 12 is getting old enough to give him some say. 12 is a minor but nearing teenage years more than a child.

Many adults I know now don't go to church as adults and speak bitterly about their parents forcing them to go all the time when they were growing up. You may think this is just an excuse not to go to church, but trust me, I know these people and I can tell they mean it when they talk about it and get upset when it's brought up about them being forced for years.

For a healthy relationship for your son and God, you want him to connect with God in a positive manner and in the best way for him to do so. What's the best way for one child isn't always the best for another. I think sitting down a few times and discussing options and compromises on both sides may be your best bet and help him get more enthused.

Please keep us updated on how everything goes and if you need more advice.

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Did you read the part of her post where she says she doesn't even have legal custody of her son on the day she goes to church? :doh:

And really, that's only good advice if she wants her son to either grow up completely enmeshed with her and/or reject God via psychological reactance. So no.

well duh obviously it would have to be another day. My sister and I were find...parents nowadays try to be their kids friend or let their children run over them...some would say he is already rejecting God by not Going now...believe me honey at the end of the day it makes no difference..He will grow up serving God or he wont..having to go to church because "this is what we do as a family" will not effect that but it sure establishes a good religious foundation!...some think that he will still be "lost etc" by not going to church now, so whats to lose?..so she should enforce this as a policy in her home..as for me and my house we shall serve the Lord...im not talking about every sunday..bible service of the year...just when she goes be it 2x month or whatever

Upvote 0

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Youth group could be the way to go with your son, but see the leader 1st.

I had a wonderful couple leading my youth group, but my younger siblings had a guy that told them all music with a beat was bad & steared them away from God.

Also, some churches have a small home get-together on Sunday night that's more relaxed & more variety of music.

Upvote 0