How are we to view the Bible?

How do you beleive we should view the Bible?

• The unique, literal, authoritative, infallible Word of God: 100% word for word God-breathed

• The inspired Word of God, comprising many literary forms, containing the Truth, when interpreted und

• An interesting and inspiring set of religious ideas

• A collection of out-dated traditions and irrelevant myths

• One of many ways in which God makes Himself and His ways known to humanity

• Somehting else entirely (do explain!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
I realise the options given are not all necessarily mutually exclusive, so you may wish to select more than one. Anyway, please try to pick the concept which most closely represents your understanding on this matter.

Please try also to give some explanation of how you reach this conclusion.

Anthony

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I feel the bible is the truth in every way shape and form..
It is our answer to everything. It is the truth to life itself. It is the Word of God.
THe gospel is plain and simple. Jesus was born, died and ROSE from the dead. That is the gospel, that is the truth.
The bible is our foundation, our sword.
Jesus came NOT to bring peace to the world, which I think some christians forget. He came to bring us a sword, NOT peace. To discern the truth from lies, to cut thru the flesh of the world and get to the heart of man.

Matthew 10:34 _Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

GEL

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by lambslove
Truelight, I just can't get over your continuing efforts to slam the Bible as the foundation of our faith. I makes me wonder what your true motive is, and what "truelight" you are talking about.

Can you please explain your motive for all this?

I don't see this as attacking the Bible. Among my Christian friends, there's a variety of beliefs about the way in which you go from the text of the Bible to an understanding of God's will. Some are pretty devoted to literal readings of everything, others are much more willing to consider parts of it myth or allegory.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I think that if you read truelight's other posts, you would recognize a pattern of contempt and disrespect for the Bible being the exclusive word of God. It appears that truelight believes that "new revelations" given to modern thinkers should be considered equal to the Bible, even if they contradict the Bible. I am wondering if truelight is secretly a mormon or one of the other cults who have faith in latter-day prophets.

I personally think it's amazing that a Christian would be open to the idea that the Bible contains myths. Either you don't understand the meaning of the word myth, or your belief is very unorthodox.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please note: Over the past few days, the discussion has taken a turn for the worst, and before it gets out of hand I have locked the thread.

May I suggest that all members read the rules of the forum, particularly Rule 1 (No flamming), and make a concerted effort to abide by them.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thread has been reopened. Hopefully, the rules have been read and everyone is ready to engage in fruitful, positive discussions. Let's keep our eyes on Christ and treat each other with mutual respect and kindness.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
Thanks for re-opening the thread - hopefully we can all try and discuss this one in thoughtful, constructive and peaceable way.

For those troubled by comments made about my own views (which have not so far been even hinted at in this thread) and background, feel free to check out my profile, and links from there to my website (also thro' my signature) which will hopefully demonstrate that most if not all the accusations raised have no substance in reality. (you could alos check out my posts in the 'What's so special about the Bible' thread).

For the record, on this poll, I would go with No 2.

Anthony

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Lambslove:

Just because something is called a myth does not mean that does not contain truth. Myths are like parables, stories with a message that did not actually happen.

I chose 2, 3, and 5.

2: One needs to understand the type of literature an individual passage fits into to understand its meaning. Reading literal meaning into a symbolic passage leads to disasterous results.

3: The Bible is interesting and inspiring.

5: There are ways outside the Bible to understand God. One can understand that God exists without relying on the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I&nbsp;realise the options given are not all necessarily mutually exclusive, so you may wish to select more than one.&nbsp;Anyway, please try to pick the concept which most closely represents your understanding on this matter.

Please try also to give some explanation of how you reach this conclusion.

Anthony

The best option that I saw was :One of many ways in which God makes Himself and His ways known to humanity .

This option is accurate since the Lord does make Himself known through nature and other humans and has also done so through a burning bush and a donkey . The Scriptures are one more way as they are inspired by Him .

Option one : The unique, literal, authoritative, infallible Word of God: 100% word for word God-breathed .

Does not fit for several reasons . One is that the term "Word of God" does not fit and is confusing . First of all "Word of God" is singular while the Scriptures are plural . Second , the Scriptures use the term "word of god" for several things . Using the term for the Scriptures becomes confusing to new believers when they see the term *in* the Scriptures . Also , the Lord alone is authoritative .

Option two : The inspired Word of God, comprising many literary forms, containing the Truth, when interpreted under the leading of the Holy Spirit .

I would agree with this but do not like the idea of using that term . It seems to imply an exclusive role for the Scriptures .

Options three and four are interesting . They are true when not looking at the Scriptures through the leading of the Holy Spirit .

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Some books of the bible explain themselves, like "this is the story of Jesus of Nazareth", "a song by king David", "the genealogy of Mary", "from Paul to the church in Rome" and so forth.

I think it would be reasonable to see it first and foremost as what it is/describes itself as.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eRev

Marginalized
Apr 23, 2002
Arkansas
✟9,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Myth; A traditional story of unknown authorship, ostensibly with a historical basis, but serving usually to explain some phenomenon of nature, the origin of man, or customs, institutions, religious rites etc. of a people." Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition

Not until the third definition does it say, any ficticious story.

Keep in mind that oral tradition came before written record.

Peace in Xp

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I chose 1, 2, and 5. I do not think the inerrancy of the Bible precludes one from understanding the different forms of literature (history, poetry, allegory, prophecy, letter) that comprise its books. I am fully on the side of inerrancy (without error). It is the designation of "literal" that so often brings up problems, I think.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The bible can be very confusing for some so that is why we have pastor, rev. etc... to teach.

We have those people only because they are gifted and called as such.

The Scripture and the Holy Spirit can and will make us all wise as we mature in Him. I have known many people that didn't have much common sense and/or had limited education but would get rollin on the Word like you wouldn't believe.

Upvote 0

ChristianSoldier2

Sep 17, 2006
Visit site
✟7,733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The bible can be very confusing for some so that is why we have pastor, rev. etc... to teach.

True, BUT, I chose options 1 and 2 as we should not rely on even our pastor's interpretation of scripture without reading it for ourselves, giuded by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.