Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Back in the day, we had PTA meetings at schools where these issues were resolved. Parents kept in touch with teachers, and vice versa. Parents knew what their kids' curricula were about, because they were involved in the education planning with the teachers.

Well they did this, and found out what the teachers were teaching, went to school boards to protest, were told by those boards that "parents don't have a say in schooling", then they began voting out those boards. Then the FBI was called on them as a rather needless intimidation tactic.

If anybody is upset, they should get involved in their local PTA. Whatever happened to "limited government"? This kind of politics isn't conservative at all, it's reactionary and imposes government power where it isn't needed.

This is limited government....it's literally limiting the government's ability to infringe upon the rights of parents. It's very anti-fascist, anti-authoritarian.

• Agree
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's one perspective, but I don't think it explains the reasons they came to the US, nor does it do justice to what Puritanism was actually about. Puritanism was an important religious movement, some Puritans, like Richard Baxter, were basically theological liberals of their day, whereas the establishment in England was mostly interested in a way that religion could be used to benefit the existing social order and privileged hierarchies, Puritans typically came from rural areas of England, such as East Anglia, and did not represent the aristocracy generally.

Just keep in mind England didn't have freedom of religion, either, and had capital punishments for heresy as well, during the same time period.
One would think that if I stated that I have literally hundreds of identified Puritan Great Migration ancestors, a reader would conclude that I have fairly deep knowledge about:
Who they were
Where they were from
What their lives were like

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0