House Churches in SE Michigan

WindyT

Oct 9, 2013
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am new here. I love God and His Word, and after doing a ton of research about Biblical churches, I have been trying to decide where to fellowship for a while now. I have a bit of a dilemma, and I hope that you can provide some perspective and perhaps tell me if you know of the kind of house fellowship that I am looking for.

I found a house church that I thought that I liked. However, it is not really a house church, but a network of house churches with a pastor. I am not really comfortable with the idea of having a pastor, but it was not entirely clear that the pastor was paid, and since this group was the closest thing that I could find to a real house church in my area, my husband and I have been attending for a while.

Things seemed to go well for a few months until the "pastor" was home sick one Sunday. Another member was giving a lesson that day, since we all take turns giving the lesson. This lesson was all about the story from Malachi that supposedly justifies tithing. He gave a talk trying to convince us that we should be tithing to this pastor, and if we aren't, we have a "lack of faith".

Needless to say, I was upset. My husband and I said nothing, but decided to let a week or so pass and then talk to this man about what he had to say. I am feeling pretty discouraged, though. I do not believe that tithing is Biblical under the new covenant, and I do not think that we have a faith issue because we know what the Bible says about this matter.

We are planning to talk to this man about his Malachi lesson and will be very careful and loving in how we do it. I hardly want to do it, though. I am feeling like this is not a place where I am going to feel comfortable if our beliefs are this far apart. It is a shame, though, because I do love the people at this house church, but we feel that we need a true, Biblical house church, not one following man-made tradition by having a paid pastor. It is a matter of principle: if they are not willing to follow the Bible in all matters, I am not comfortable with remaining part of the church.

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know of any true, Biblical house churches in the western suburbs of Detroit? Thanks for listening and providing counsel.

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear WindyT

You are hearing from the LORD as HE is leading you into more of HIMSELF.
That is a good thing!

But the issue is really about Law vs Grace and our works to appease GOD or what GOD did in HIS own SON for us.

And that is why we are led further into giving out of love as the SPIRIT prompts and not to some group or pastor. If you want to give, then it would be a joy, (out of LOVE) just like you would give your sister or mother, both would be 'joyful' in it!
Both the giver and the receiver and that is how GOD does it when we give to others, we start to see them as my brother or sister or mother and want nothing more than to give and help.

The motivation: Compassion
The upside : Joy and Cheerfulness
The downside: there isn't any!

That is the spontaneous gifting we do, led my HIM who is love.

If the guy you want to confront wants to talk tithing, then he should start by reading the entire book of Malachi, how GOD was angry over the entire sinful practice of the priests and how they were not loving to their brothers but rather selfish.

If you cant find a 'house church' you probably are in a place to 'start one'.

-eric

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello friend. I don't know much about Michigan, being on the West Coast, but I know of some scriptural assemblies that meet in homes (or in their own buildings when they grow larger). There is one at Dundee, Fremont, Grand Rapids, Richmond, St. Clair (Detroit). If you are near to one of these or would like a contact, I might know how to connect up.

One can read about this worldwide fellowship, which is non-sectarian and do not have a preacher in charge --believing in the priesthood of all believers (1 Peter 2). They avoid man-made doctrines and ceremonies, etc. and hold to the Bible-only for all ministry, functions, worship, etc.

You can learn about the history of this fellowship, which has been going on over 180 years by contacting Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL; and reading about it and what God intends for His testimony in the world at the site: biblecounsel.net. Write me if you wish to discuss this. Look up always!

- Sincerely in Christ forever, 1watchman Bob

Upvote 0

Callie Garrett

Sep 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
✟15,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi There! I know these posts are very old, but I wanted to give it a shot anyways. I belong to a house fellowship here in the Detroit area that I think may be what you're looking for! Most of us came out of churches that were really not teaching the truth - one topic you mentioned was tithes, which we do not accept/give, as it's not a part of the new covenant! Anyways, we love the Lord and wanna follow Him according to His word as well! We meet in each others houses in Westland, MI, Troy, MI, and Melvindale, MI on Wednesdays & Thursdays at 7:30 PM, and Sundays at 11 AM. You're absolutely welcome to come visit/join us, we are always looking for more fellowship with like-minded believers! We also just recently made a simple website where you can get a little more info, and some of the teachings are on there as well. thechurchintheirhouse.com

Upvote 0

Callie Garrett

Sep 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
✟15,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi There! I know these posts are very old, but I wanted to give it a shot anyways. I belong to a house fellowship here in the Detroit area that I think may be what you're looking for! Most of us came out of churches that were really not teaching the truth - one topic you mentioned was tithes, which we do not accept/give, as it's not a part of the new covenant! Anyways, we love the Lord and wanna follow Him according to His word as well! We meet in each others houses in Westland, MI, Troy, MI, and Melvindale, MI on Wednesdays & Thursdays at 7:30 PM, and Sundays at 11 AM. You're absolutely welcome to come visit/join us, we are always looking for more fellowship with like-minded believers! We also just recently made a simple website where you can get a little more info, and some of the teachings are on there as well. thechurchintheirhouse.com

Upvote 0