Hospitals in Boston filling up

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I work for a large group of Boston hospitals and without giving out specifics the number of patients with Covid 19 are starting to pile up and a percentage of those are in the ICU. one hospital has over 70 another over 50 and the others are showing an uptick. Probably about 10% are in the ICU.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I work for a large group of Boston hospitals and without giving out specifics the number of patients with Covid 19 are starting to pile up and a percentage of those are in the ICU. one hospital has over 70 another over 50 and the others are showing an uptick. Probably about 10% are in the ICU.
What percentage is in the ICU?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
From eyeballing the numbers about 10% maybe slightly less but that is just a snapshot. The numbers are fluid. ICU probably indicates pneumonia.
but 10% does not appear to be an awful lot, so what is with the major concern with running out of ICU beds. I live in a rural county that currently has no confirmed cases and am not a doctor so 10% does not appear to be many.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
but 10% does not appear to be an awful lot, so what is with the major concern with running out of ICU beds. I live in a rural county that currently has no confirmed cases and am not a doctor so 10% does not appear to be many.

So one hospital has over 70 corona virus patients with 12 in ICU. How many of those might wind up in the ICU?

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m just north of you in New Hampshire, also working for a hospital. Praying for you, Boston, this country and the world as this pandemic continues to spread. Stay as safe as you can.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I’m just north of you in New Hampshire, also working for a hospital. Praying for you, Boston, this country and the world as this pandemic continues to spread. Stay as safe as you can.
I posted a thread in praise reports where I update praises on GA numbers ( of course not all updates have a praise.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Prayer back my friend. The nurses and Drs are working crazy hours. I work in IT and we getting killed.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most hospital have less then 20 ICU beds. Intensive care has specialized equipment.
OH so there are very vary few ICU beds compared to the hospital beds.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. That is one hospital. The others have similar numbers. Mind you they are less the 10 miles apart.
I noticed that between noon and 7PM today there were only 20 additional cases confirmed in GA (GA is where I live so that is the state I most know the numbers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Massachusetts had (as of 3/29/2020) 399 patients hospitalized. If 10% of those are in ICU (I can’t verify that percentage), then that is 39, which doesn’t sound like a lot, BUT ICU beds are not only for COVID-19 patients and our ICUs are generally not empty (think of critical care heart attacks, strokes, emergency heart bypass patients, etc. who continue to need care whether or not there is a pandemic on top of it) so not every ICU bed on the books is available AND we are still early on in the pandemic. The peak is not here, and as cases continue to grow there is a good chance that in many areas our hospitals will be overwhelmed, unless we space these cases out by reducing the rate of spread. Even if we can find enough new equipment and space to meet the demand, it would not be that easy to find additional trained staff to monitor all those patients (critical care medicine, ICU nursing, respiratory therapy, etc. all require extensive schooling which can’t be done overnight).

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prayer back my friend. The nurses and Drs are working crazy hours. I work in IT and we getting killed.
We have not been hit so hard yet, but we have the feeling of a calm before the storm, or as someone put it « waiting for the tsunami after the earthquake ». May God have mercy on us.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Massachusetts had (as of 3/29/2020) 399 patients hospitalized. If 10% of those are in ICU (I can’t verify that percentage), then that is 39, which doesn’t sound like a lot, BUT ICU beds are not only for COVID-19 patients and our ICUs are generally not empty (think of critical care heart attacks, strokes, emergency heart bypass patients, etc. who continue to need care whether or not there is a pandemic on top of it) so not every ICU bed on the books is available AND we are still early on in the pandemic. The peak is not here, and as cases continue to grow there is a good chance that in many areas our hospitals will be overwhelmed, unless we space these cases out by reducing the rate of spread. Even if we can find enough new equipment and space to meet the demand, it would not be that easy to find additional trained staff to monitor all those patients (critical care medicine, ICU nursing, respiratory therapy, etc. all require extensive schooling which can’t be done overnight).

The numbers I saw for the ICU were exclusively Covid patients.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The numbers I saw for the ICU were exclusively Covid patients.
Yes, I know. My point was that in addition to the COVID-19 patients there are other patients also using some of the existing ICU beds, putting more stress on the system.

• Agree
Upvote 0