• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Horrible, Intrusive Thoughts...

lovehopefaith

Apr 14, 2011
✟15,136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have had this problem very briefly and mildly years ago; basically I will suddenly have a flash go through my mind of a thought that is the complete OPPOSITE of what I would want to think (specifically blasphemous and/or sexual). I spoke with my mom and she told me not to worry, as it wasn't coming from ME and that I should just stop worrying about it.

Lately I have been having intrusive thoughts pretty much every night. I usually stay up late to relax and that's when they hit me. They are almost worse than before, and certainly more varied, from blasphemous and sexual to incest...and these are only flashes, these are not things that I choose to think about and keep thinking about them. As soon as they hit me I literally have to put my hand to my head and start praying. Sometimes I cry. I don't know what is wrong with me, these are thoughts that I would never CHOOSE to think...I'm worried that God may not forgive me for them or that something might be very wrong with me for having these thoughts. I will talk to my mom again about this, but I just wanted fellow Christians' thoughts on it.

Also, the sexual thoughts I know come from my past. I lived a very promiscuous and sexual life not so long ago, and sometimes those memories hit me but they put a different face or a different person associated with them...like for example a religious figure or a family member.

I always pray as soon as one hits me, but a few minutes later I get hit AGAIN. I really don't know what else to do. I heard that thinking about them takes away their power, but there is NO WAY I'm going to allow the thoughts in. They are intrusive enough.

Prayers and comfort and answers are very much appreciated!

C
CatholicDudes
I would ask religious leaders of the church during the confession. I used to have addictions looking at inappropriate contents, and evil thoughts kept popping up. When I started rosary, my impure thoughts disappeared completely. I Don't know if it is a good advice, or not. Just my experience I had practicing rosary.
Upvote 0
Mar 13, 2014
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How I understand, Our God sees what is in our hearts not so concerned with what's in our mind. He knows the evil one has ways of corrupting our minds but its how we answer those thoughts that our Lord sees. Be strong, stay in prayer and as you sit at night ask the Lord to guard your mind from the evil one.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true, I believe. Satan works on the mind, but God looks on the heart. If one begins to entertain the thoughts and allow them by exploring them, it will lead one off into sinful things. Confess it all to God, and state to Him that you know it is of Satan; stay in communion with the Lord Jesus, asking Him to take the thoughts away and be your constant companion. Inviting the Lord Jesus into your every thought will give you peace (note Isa. 26:3 and Matt. 28:20 and Heb. 13:5).

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't pay it too much attention. Everyone has this happen to them sometimes, intrusive crazy thoughts that you go "I can't believe that popped in my head what is wrong with me!?" It just happens. The best you can do is just blow it off. Don't give the thoughts any power.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Firstly, Father understands and is not into condemning you in any way. He is there to help not to put you down in any way.

It is likely that what you are experiencing are the emotions and thoughts behind some nasty experiences that you have 'locked away' in a mental dungeon. They need facing and working through, which is not a picnic, but which can lead to new levels of wholeness. Having an experienced person to guide you through that journey would be helpful, virtually necessary in my opinion.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

alive2Christ

Apr 20, 2012
✟23,798.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know this is a very old thread, but I just saw it. For anyone else reading this thread who is a new Christian or is experiencing this for the first time, these thoughts are from satan. He wants you to think it’s from you. I started to get them when I was very young. I was going to the Sunday School back then and loved hearing the Bible stories. There’s no reason at all for me to suddenly think evil thoughts about God. Why would I suddenly do such a thing out of the blue? They stopped for a few years but came back when I was in my late teens for a while and then one day, they really came back in relentless force in my late 20s. This time it was different. Much worse. Not just now and again but constantly and all day every day, from just as I was aware that I was awake but not yet opened my eyes, until I was in bed and falling asleep! I was given a book by my younger brother who found it among my dad’s old stuff in the atti. My brother only gave me it because of the author. He had no idea that it contained the answer aI desperately needed. The book is called ‘Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners’ by John Bunyan.
in the book, it tells of how Bunyan went through the same thing. I have found out since that many famous Christians suffered this trial.
people such as Martin Luther, John Newton, C.H.Spurgeon, Martyn Lloyd Jones and definitely lots more.
john Newton wrote the following about such inward trials:

I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith and love and ev’ry grace,
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek more earnestly His face.

VERSE 2
‘Twas He who taught me thus to pray,
And He, I trust, has answered prayer,
But it has been in such a way
As almost drove me to despair.

VERSE 3
I hoped that in some favored hour
At once He’d answer my request
And, by His love’s constraining pow’r,
Subdue my sins and give me rest.

VERSE 4
Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart
And let the angry pow’rs of hell
Assault my soul in ev’ry part.

VERSE 5
Yea, more with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe,
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Humbled my heart and laid me low.

VERSE 6
“Lord, why is this,” I trembling cried;
“Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?”
“’Tis in this way,” the Lord replied,
“I answer prayer for grace and faith.”

VERSE 7
“These inward trials I employ
From self and pride to set thee free
And break thy schemes of earthly joy
That thou may’st find thine all in Me.”

James 1:2-4
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

These trials can be very frightening but in a way, they are a source of assurance of salvation. People such as I mentioned above suffered the same trials.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I have had this problem very briefly and mildly years ago; basically I will suddenly have a flash go through my mind of a thought that is the complete OPPOSITE of what I would want to think (specifically blasphemous and/or sexual). I spoke with my mom and she told me not to worry, as it wasn't coming from ME and that I should just stop worrying about it.

Lately I have been having intrusive thoughts pretty much every night. I usually stay up late to relax and that's when they hit me. They are almost worse than before, and certainly more varied, from blasphemous and sexual to incest...and these are only flashes, these are not things that I choose to think about and keep thinking about them. As soon as they hit me I literally have to put my hand to my head and start praying. Sometimes I cry. I don't know what is wrong with me, these are thoughts that I would never CHOOSE to think...I'm worried that God may not forgive me for them or that something might be very wrong with me for having these thoughts. I will talk to my mom again about this, but I just wanted fellow Christians' thoughts on it.

Also, the sexual thoughts I know come from my past. I lived a very promiscuous and sexual life not so long ago, and sometimes those memories hit me but they put a different face or a different person associated with them...like for example a religious figure or a family member.

I always pray as soon as one hits me, but a few minutes later I get hit AGAIN. I really don't know what else to do. I heard that thinking about them takes away their power, but there is NO WAY I'm going to allow the thoughts in. They are intrusive enough.

I've struggled with intrusive thoughts for 10 years now, pray for peace of mind Jesus will give it. It can be instant and it can take time.

Just know you're not alone and a lot of people I know are struggling right now, it's a sign of the times but not to worry Jesus is with you always so do not worry. He knows you the true you what is your own and what is not your own thoughts.

Some day we will be in Heaven free from all the negative thoughts and sin etc. I have found that the more i try and stop thinking bad thoughts the more difficult it is, so instead distract yourself with things you like to do and try and do things that are positive that naturally occupy your mind with good thoughts.

It will get better as Jesus is with you. Just take one day at a time :)

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
wow i just realized this post is from 2014, idk if you're even reading this any more lol but maybe someone else can read this and learn from it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Firstly, giving these thoughts attention is what feeds the problem. Forget the stuff about where it comes from (you or Satan). That's irrelevant. We all know you don't mean them and God most of all. You need to understand these thoughts have zero value. Giving them credit is your problem. Thoughts are thoughts. Anyone can think those things. Your shame and guilt are not only unwarranted but contributing to the situation. Now, you can pray or ask for forgiveness each time but guess what? That's OCD. The ritual is the spiritual cleansing here of needing to be forgiven and washed of one's alleged sin (for having out of control thoughts). My opinion: it's useless. Do it once and for all and then never again. These thoughts are not only trash, they're nothing. I've had disgusting and obsessive thoughts as well. Don't dwell on them. Laugh at them. De-dramatize the situation. It works. You'll forget about them. Eventually you don't even know why you ever cared. If you have a relapse: it's not the end of the world. Remember : these are just thoughts. They don't matter. You are not subject to them. The normal person waves them as irrelevant. The mistake is thinking they are important, that they mean something (for instance, that you're a bad person and what not). Caring about that actually proves you're mentally healthy. A psychopath does not care.

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Always seek scripture for answers. DO you go to church? if you do gather the elders for them to anoint and lay hands on you in prayer, you dont have to tell them why just that you wish an anointing and healing. If you wish to keep secret than just do these steps yourself. This can only come about by familiar spirits for GOD does not send these thoughts. Get some pure virgin olive oil from any grocery store. pour some in a small vile of what ever you have, a small empty glass of finger nail polish works well for this. In prayer with GOD ask HIM to anoint the oil that you will only use for anointing purposes. anoint your forehead and ask GOD to take all evil thoughts from you and do as often as you need. anointing your door sides and top of doors while you don't ask evil to go you demand they go in the name of JESUS you ask GOD to disperse any evil, negative rudiments from your home/room, ask HIM to bless your home/room and keep all evil spirits and rudiments, disease and pestilence, negativity of any kind from entering. This is not voodoo magic but the act of fallowing GODs commandments. As in very first Passover in exodus 12 we were to do this every Passover until CHRIST returns. You have authority over evil CHRIST gave it to us, don't ask them to leave you demand they leave with authority that a GOD with infinite power and wisdom gave you . Your are a living child of a GOD that has power over all HIS creatures that gave you authority to live in safety and peace as in all things give GOD the glory. Do these things because GOD told us too, if you want blessings from HIM than you have to do it HIS way. It is not the ingredients that does anything; it is the act that you have read GODS letter HE sent you to see if you have read it. It's the act of obeying and doing it as HE tells us that heals. Do with authority and belief that it is not you doing it but a living GOD/FATHER who loves you.
Exo 12:23 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.
Exo 12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons for ever.

Today we don't use blood but the oil of our people; pure olive oil.
James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
Matthew 6:17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

Last edited:
Upvote 0