✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully%2BObsessed.jpg

Some people obsess over a hobby. Some are obsessive sports fan. Many obsess over getting more power and control. Not a few obsess over sex. Others obsess over a relationship. Then there are those who obsess over politics. And a lot of people obsess over various forms of entertainment.

We are made to obsess. Our problem is not being too obsessive. Obsession is a part of love.
Our problem is obsessing over everything and anything except the One we were made to obsess over.

The Bible is full of people who were obsessed with God:

Intense desire is a sign of obsession. The Sons of Korah were beautifully obsessed:

NIV Psalm 42:1 For the director of music. A maskil of the Sons of Korah. As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

People will give up many things for their obsession. Paul was seriously obsessed with Jesus:

NIV Philippians 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ

When we’re obsessed we can’t think about anything else:

NIV 1 Corinthians 2:2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

David was hopefully obsessed!

NIV Psalm 63:1 A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah. You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.

Obsession over God isn’t just for the super-spiritual. It is God’s will for all of us to be wonderfully, totally obsessed with Him:

NIV Matthew 10:37 "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

7 Ways to Get (more!) Obsessed with God

People get obsessed with something by experiencing it or focusing on it a lot, until it becomes an obsession. We can grow in our holy obsession with God the same way. Here’s some practical ways to get more obsessed:

1. Read and study the Bible more. There are many ways to do this. One good option is to commit to reading through the Bible in 2018. There are many Bible reading plans. I’ve started a Facebook group for people who want to encourage one another as we read through the Bible together. You’re welcome to join our group or start your own. Our group may be found here: Open My Eyes 2018.

2. Pray more! If you want some encouragement and guidance in your prayers, consider watching my series of messages on the Lord’s Prayer. The Lord’s Prayer is powerful. The more you pray it, the more you will want to pray it.

3. Go to church and Bible studies more! Local churches are a really important part of God’s plan. You can read some thoughts about the importance of commitment to a local church here.

4. Use your gifts to serve God and serve God’s people. Follow the example of the household of Stephanas:

NIV 1 Corinthians 16:15a You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the Lord's people.

5. Listen to lots of Christian music of whatever style you like. Sing along!

Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,
19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord,
20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

6. Get rid of other obsessions that are competing with God for your heart’s devotion. Throw them out. Stop. These other obsessions are like idols that need to be smashed. Follow John’s wise counsel:

NIV 1 John 5:21 Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.

7. Be totally committed to God’s mission. Live for it. If need be, die for it.

NIV Acts 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-- the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.

Conclusion: Be obsessed with God. Get more obsessed by being devoted to His Word, praying, serving and worshiping with other Christians, praising Him, getting rid of idols, and doing His work. You won’t regret it. No other obsession is worthy of your heart.

This was originally a post on my blog.