Homeschooling Curriculum & Methods

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We completed homeschooling our 4 kids in 1997. We used Life Packs and Alpha Omega. The first year we enrolled them in Christian Liberty Academy. I understand homeschooling material has improved quite a bit. My two grandchildren are being homeschooled now.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟132,521.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons | Amazon.Com

I did the book with my son in 100 days. He went from ground zero to reading at the second grade level in 100 days. He and I were locked in a room together until we finished a lesson. The lessons got progressively longer as we got further into the book. I added a break. Later I added another break.

The book contains a list of grade appropriate reading books at the end. I went through several of those books with my son over the next couple of months. This took him to the 3rd grade reading level. Then he started 1st grade.

Note that it was pretty much World War III every day because my son did not want to learn how to read. Plus, he has mild Asperger's Syndrome. I didn't know how to teach reading but I could follow the book.

We moved so fast that I used flash cards for any problem words. Every day we did additional drills with the flash cards. We did flash card drills until he knew the words. No falling behind.

Once he started 1st grade in Switzerland he would have to learn how to read in German. This was going to be a nightmare. Hence, my rush to teach him how to read in English. After English, learning how to read in German was super easy for him. Crisis averted.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What homeschooling curriculums or methods are you using?
My step kids just graduated high school from Seton Home Study. We pulled them out of public school after their sophomore year in 2020-21 and they did their last two years in home school. It was great, and they had still had an in-person graduation and everything. They really thrived, my stepdaughter has always been a great student and she unsurprisingly graduated with a 4.0. My step son surprised me, cause he's a lot like I was in high school (I slacked and did the bare minimum to get by) but he finished way better than I did with a 3.7GPA.

Upvote 0