Homeless Man's best friend

What can I do to help?

• Ask him more questions to see if dog is better off.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let him borrow work phone to get a hold of a relative or friend for help.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

April0485

Aug 20, 2017
aurora
✟15,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm here for advice...I work at a check cashing place in Colorado. There's this man that's been living out of his van. I've talked to him before, he asked for a $20 bill to be broken down lol...but today, he came in to tell me that his dog had been taken away and put into an animal shelter. It's going to cost him about $110 as of today and that amount increases daily. He doesn't have the $ or a ride there. He asked me for a ride, and I told him I couldn't mix work with customers. I felt cold saying that! He said tomorrow he was going to church and will ask others if they could help. I know he's telling the truth about his dog bc I've seen the dog there before. I just feel like a loser, especially after seeing him carrying a holy Bible in a clear bag. I feel like I was being tested by God or something bc lately I keep getting a tugging feeling that i have a calling to be a missionary...to serve others. But I just don't know how to help this guy. I also don't know if the dog is better off this way? What would you do? What would Jesus do?

• Prayers
Reactions: Sarah G

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a difficult situation. If the animal shelter took his dog for legitimate reasons you might find that he is in the same situation shortly after getting the dog back? I have prayed that the Holy Spirit guide you and of course be with the homeless man. I am conflicted and don't have a concrete answer. This morning I saw this photo of a statue at St Albans Episcopal Church in Davidson, NC. It looks like a homeless person sleeping (in fact, someone called the police to report the vagrant!) but on closer inspection it is a statue and the wounds in the feet reveal that it is Jesus. It is certainly a reminder that Jesus can come to us in the guise of the needy. But of course you have to consider your personal safety (giving a stranger a ride) and also what is really helpful in the long term. The Holy Spirit will give you the wisdom of that I am sure. Sometimes we get tested and we fail. With Jesus we always get a chance to re-sit the test. He has endless love, compassion and patience!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟799,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think you'll find folks will donate for him to get the dog back. They'll probably respond more than asking for money for the homeless man. But your company might consider this crossing the line.

Most importantly, you'll need to get an answer from Holy Spirit about what to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria.V.H

Feb 1, 2017
Denmark
✟34,519.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm here for advice...I work at a check cashing place in Colorado. There's this man that's been living out of his van. I've talked to him before, he asked for a $20 bill to be broken down lol...but today, he came in to tell me that his dog had been taken away and put into an animal shelter. It's going to cost him about $110 as of today and that amount increases daily. He doesn't have the $ or a ride there. He asked me for a ride, and I told him I couldn't mix work with customers. I felt cold saying that! He said tomorrow he was going to church and will ask others if they could help. I know he's telling the truth about his dog bc I've seen the dog there before. I just feel like a loser, especially after seeing him carrying a holy Bible in a clear bag. I feel like I was being tested by God or something bc lately I keep getting a tugging feeling that i have a calling to be a missionary...to serve others. But I just don't know how to help this guy. I also don't know if the dog is better off this way? What would you do? What would Jesus do?
I would help the guy, i would give him the money or as much as i could spare and a ride if i had a car, or pay for a cab, i don´t see any reason not to. I believe that we get back what we give, and i believe that in reality i do not own anything, because everything is borrowed, it´s not owned, since it can just as quickly be taken away from us again, but we tend to forget that.. What could that money do for me, compared to what that money could do for someone who has nothing?? a whole lot in my view...

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

He lost custody of the dog due to breaking one or more of Colorado's laws and regulations regarding pets/animals.
The man is homeless and doesn't have money, he can't afford to have a dog and provide for it satisfactory food, water, shelter, medical/vaccinations etc.
Too often dogs are used by homeless people as a way of getting money...they use a dog and or cat to play on people's sympathies.
I live where there's a fair amount of homeless people camping around our town...the majority of them had their pets confiscated because of the aforementioned reasons... some of those pets turned out to belong to other people who'd reported them lost and or stolen.

I would seek to get to know him and to find out about his situation...you know,
what lead to him becoming homeless?
Find out if he be scamming people by using a dog and carrying a bible to get
money for a drug and or an alcohol habit. Alert others if he is.
I wouldn't give him money... but would give him: food, water etc... hook him up
with a place he could shower.
Arrange for him to sign up with public services/welfare, invite him to my church and whatever outreaches be in my town.

• Informative
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my city there is an organization called Habitat for Humanity who builds homeless people houses. Does he have one of those in his city?
We have that in my city but its not for homeless people. You must have a job, and you wouldn't be homeless if you had a job.

Upvote 0