Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is Holy Water?

How can I test it to see if it is genuine Holy Water? Does it spoil by vaporization / absorption of water vapor from the air? How long it lasts? If some normal water is added will the mixture be still Holy Water or not? Can we say 10% solution of Holy Water or that makes no sense? How can we measure the percentage of solution if it makes sense?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Holy Water?
I'm not a Catholic, but I would say holy water is water set aside (holy) for use in the Catholic church.

The word "holy" -- as well as "consecrated" and "sanctified" simply mean set apart.

Leviticus 10 is an excellent chapter on things that are considered holy.

[sidebar] Note that Nadab means liberal. [/sidebar]

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is only one test to be sure it is Holy Water. If it kills a vampire it is Holy Water.

It turns out that much of what is written about Vampires is false. While they prefer darkness sunlight is not significantly worse for them than it is for a pure blooded Irishman.

There is only one sure test of a Vampire, if it is killed by Holy Water it is a Vampire.

Upvote 0

Orogeny

Trilobite me!
Feb 25, 2010
✟17,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There is only one test to be sure it is Holy Water. If it kills a vampire it is Holy Water.

It turns out that much of what is written about Vampires is false. While they prefer darkness sunlight is not significantly worse for them than it is for a pure blooded Irishman.

There is only one sure test of a Vampire, if it is killed by Holy Water it is a Vampire.
But...but... :confused:

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a Catholic, but I would say holy water is water set aside (holy) for use in the Catholic church.

The word "holy" -- as well as "consecrated" and "sanctified" simply mean set apart.

Leviticus 10 is an excellent chapter on things that are considered holy.

[sidebar] Note that Nadab means liberal. [/sidebar]
Hmm, making Holy Water is not only Catholic tradition. My local church is Eastern Orthodox Church, one of the earliest churches and is making Holy Water for baptism purposes. They put little children (age 1+ years old) it a big thing containing Holy Water. Now, you may understand why someone may have concerns about what is there in that Holy Water. Children usually start crying during the process, despite the fact they love their bath if the water is normal, so I'm asking natural questions here and people imediatelly start talking about vampires and things that you see in movies. I'm quite unsatisfied with both sarcasm from my atheist friends and lack of any useful information by my theist friends. :confused:

So if "holy" means "set apart" how they do it? There are rumors some kind of process is used by the church to create Holy Water, but no body outside the church really doesn't seem to know or care.

Anyway any water "set apart" or not will vaporize maybe slowly, so they will need more of the stuff. And as they say we can't use normal water instead of "holy water", so how they do it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if "holy" means "set apart" how they do it?
I don't know -- I'm not a Catholic.

HOWEVER, I would guess and say they put something under a tap, fill it up with water, then pray for God to sanctify it.

1 Timothy 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Holy water.

Fat+Tire.jpg

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Holy Water?

How can I test it to see if it is genuine Holy Water? Does it spoil by vaporization / absorption of water vapor from the air? How long it lasts? If some normal water is added will the mixture be still Holy Water or not? Can we say 10% solution of Holy Water or that makes no sense? How can we measure the percentage of solution if it makes sense?

I reckon your not really serious most atheist and agnostics aren't on here just wanting to make fun of Christians are some aspect thereof. But if I am about wrong your intentions I apology in advance.

Now to answer the question.
Holy water is water that, in Catholicism, Anglicanism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and some other churches, has been sanctified by a priest for the purpose of baptism, the blessing of persons, places, and objects; or as a means of repelling evil.

The use of holy water in the earliest days of Christianity is attested to only in somewhat later documents. The Apostolic constitutions which go back to about the year 400, attribute to the precept of using holy water to Apostle Matthew. Hence the first historical testimony goes back to the fifth century. However, it is plausible that, in the earliest Christian times, water was used for expiatory and purificatory purposes, in a way analogous to its employment under the Jewish Law. Yet, in many cases, the water used for the Sacrament of Baptism was flowing water, sea or river water, and it could not receive the same blessing as that contained in the baptisteries.

Holy water is used as a sacramental in the baptismal ceremony.
Holy water is kept in the font, the church furnishing used for baptisms, which is typically located at the entrance to the church (or sometimes in a separate room or building called a baptistery); its location at the entrance serves as a reminder of the centrality of baptism as the primary rite of initiation into the Christian faith. Smaller vessels, called stoups, are usually placed at the entrances of the church. As a reminder of baptism, Catholics dip their fingers in the holy water and make the sign of the cross when entering the church. The liturgy may begin on Sundays with the Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling Holy Water, in which holy water is sprinkled upon the congregation; this is called aspersion, from the Latin, asperges ("to sprinkle"). This ceremony dates back to the ninth century. An aspergill or aspergillum is a brush or branch used to sprinkle the water. An aspersorium is the vessel which holds the holy water and into which the aspergillum is dipped, though elaborate Ottonian examples are known as situlae. Blessed salt may be added to the water "where it is customary."

In Christianity, asperges is the name given to the rite of sprinkling a congregation with holy water. The name comes from the first word in the 9th verse of Psalm 51 in the Latin translation, the Vulgate, which is sung during the Traditional form of the rite, except during Eastertide.
Holy water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since human beings are made of body and soul, matter and spirit, the Church following Christ's example, makes use of material things to accompany and foster religious actions. These outward, visible things, words, and actions enable our bodies to cooperate with our spirits in a total worship of God.

Among the things, etc., that we use are blessed things, words, and actions called the Sacramentals. These bear a certain likeness to the Sacraments which Christ instituted, but the Sacramentals were established by the Church. One of the most common of the Sacramentals is holy water.

Holy water is blessed by a priest, and is thus consecrated to God. It is used to remind us in a symbolic way of our entry into life through the baptism of water. Because water is a cleanser and a refresher, it reminds us when we use it of the need for clearing our conscience of sin, and for cleansing our mind of distractions that interfere with prayer. Holy water does not produce these effects, but is a visible, bodily help to activate ourselves to prayer and worship by these and similar thoughts.
CIN - What is Holy Water and its purpose? Father Mateo October 3, 1991

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know -- I'm not a Catholic.

HOWEVER, I would guess and say they put something under a tap, fill it up with water, then pray for God to sanctify it.

1 Timothy 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
But you are Baptist, aren't you? And as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, Baptists have to use Holy Water during baptism. Just like Easter Orthodox Church do.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I reckon your not really serious most atheist and agnostics aren't on here just wanting to make fun of Christians are some aspect thereof. But if I am about wrong your intentions I apology in advance.
My second child is 8 month old girl and next summer will be put through baprism process by her grandmother. I'm trying to discuss this with my wife but I lack any useful information about the subject. When we are in church next summer for my little girl baptism I want to know the process is safe. It doesn't necessarily need to protect her from evil, but I need to be sure it will not bring her harm. So, when we are there how do I test the water for safety?

Upvote 0

Upisoft

CEO of a waterfal
Feb 11, 2006
Orbiting the Sun
✟20,777.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, sir.

Nope.

I wouldn't know -- but I'll guess not.
You see, that saddens me. You seem willing to answer, but you lack any useful information for me. I'll wait until someone who knows better Eastern Orthodox practices came along.

And others continue with their jokes, now about beer instead of vampires, but they do not contribute either.

Upvote 0