• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Holy Spirit Guiding vs OCD

tuliplane

Oct 19, 2012
✟31,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OCD really complicates and confuses things. It likes to fixate on topics and obsess over coincidences. However, the Holy Spirit is real and guides us into all truth. I do not discount those times I was praying about something, or something was heavy on my heart and then I happened to read a Bible verse or hear a word through another Christian that spoke to my situation. Yet, the conflicting thing is that this occurs with OCD too. How do I decipher between the Holy Spirit leading me and OCD/a verse coinciding with what I'm going through?

Recently I was going through one of these scenarios - worried I was breaking a minor law regarding the vehicle I drive. I prayed about it and the next morning, read 1 Peter 2:13 as if God was answering me. If that was the case, then it seemed like God was confirming that yes, I need to obey every law (that doesn't conflict with Him); that would mean however, that I could not drive... It's just really hard to know what to do sometimes. OCD makes everything do difficult, yet I don't want to ignore the Holy Spirit either and just do whatever I want.

What are the chances I would read something like that after praying about it? Wouldn't that for sure be the Holy Spirit? If no, then how can we know when it is the Holy Spirit?

Insight would be appreciated!