Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d love to visit the Holy Land sometime. Is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre primarily a Catholic and Orthodox site or do Lutherans go there to pray and/or have services?
Do they tour the site?
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a tourist site open to the public. It is managed by the Greek Orthodox Church. The Roman Catholics operate the Pool of Bethesda tourist site. It is open to the public. The Western Wall is a place where Jews went to pray. It is open to Christians too. The Dome of the Rock is open to Muslims only. Most of the streets of the Old City are open to pedestrians only.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a tourist site open to the public. It is managed by the Greek Orthodox Church. The Roman Catholics operate the Pool of Bethesda tourist site. It is open to the public. The Western Wall is a place where Jews went to pray. It is open to Christians too. The Dome of the Rock is open to Muslims only. Most of the streets of the Old City are open to pedestrians only.
Can Lutherans pray in the Holy Sepulchre and are there ever any Lutheran services there? I assume there aren’t Lutheran services there, just asking to make sure. It’s not like we’re planning a trip there anytime soon, but someday I’d like to go.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can Lutherans pray in the Holy Sepulchre and are there ever any Lutheran services there? I assume there aren’t Lutheran services there, just asking to make sure. It’s not like we’re planning a trip there anytime soon, but someday I’d like to go.
I found no Lutheran services there, only a monument in memory of the tomb. In the rear of the church are two rock cut tomb niches. A bearded priest was seated near the polished stone monument. I can not recall seeing a Lutheran church in Israel. The place is predominately Jewish and Muslim with a Christian minority.

Matthew 6 World English Bible
5 “When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 In praying, don’t use vain repetitions as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need before you ask him. 9 Pray like this:

“‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.
10 Let your Kingdom come.
Let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
as we also forgive our debtors.
13 Bring us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.’

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you don’t forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land and the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer are just steps away right next door.
Although your reply is true and relevant the OP is LCMS and it is not in fellowship with the ELCJHL. That being so cannot worship with them nor the Catholics or Eastern Orthodox.

• Informative
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land and the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer are just steps away right next door.
I did not see every church in Israel and forgot much of what I saw. I stayed at Christ Church guesthouse near the Jaffa Gate, even though I am not Anglican. There is Christian guest house in Joppa/Yafo operated by a European church where I stayed. I stayed at an Airbnb guest house in Nazareth, a hostel in Eilat, an airport hotel near Tel Aviv Airport, and a cheap Jewish hotel in Tiberias several times. I met a few Jewish and Arab Christians in Israel during numerous journeys there. English is a grade school subject in Israel, few Israelis are fluent. There are American Jews who emigrated to Israel. They were helpful. I learned a few greetings and phrases to transact business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not see every church in Israel and forgot much of what I saw. I stayed at Christ Church guesthouse near the Jaffa Gate, even though I am not Anglican. There is Christian guest house in Joppa/Yafo operated by a European church where I stayed. I stayed at an Airbnb guest house in Nazareth, a hostel in Eilat, an airport hotel near Tel Aviv Airport, and a cheap Jewish hotel in Tiberias several times. I met a few Jewish and Arab Christians in Israel during numerous journeys there. English is a grade school subject in Israel, few Israelis are fluent. There are American Jews who emigrated to Israel. They were helpful. I learned a few greetings and phrases to transact business.

Oh my, you have "been around", haven't you. ;)

I have lived in Lebanon, but due to the draconian Israeli passport restrictions, had to fly back to Finland and get a new "clean" passort to visit East Jerusalem and Bethlehem, which were still a pain because of the Israeli totalitarian control checkpoints, and forget about just dropping in to Lebanon next-door to visit friends while you were in the neighbourhood and check your property to water your plants.

Without getting too political, I wish, I so wish and pray, there was a magic wand that would make the tiny minority of the extremists go away, disappear, vanish, so that the rest of the very good nice, kind decent folks, who are a majority, could get on with their lives without all the totalitarianess that goes with security.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh my, you have "been around", haven't you. ;)

I have lived in Lebanon, but due to the draconian Israeli passport restrictions, had to fly back to Finland and get a new "clean" passort to visit East Jerusalem and Bethlehem, which were still a pain because of the Israeli totalitarian control checkpoints, and forget about just dropping in to Lebanon next-door to visit friends while you were in the neighbourhood and check your property to water your plants.

Without getting too political, I wish, I so wish and pray, there was a magic wand that would make the tiny minority of the extremists go away, disappear, vanish, so that the rest of the very good nice, kind decent folks, who are a majority, could get on with their lives without all the totalitarianess that goes with security.
I was in Israel in the summer of 2006 hiking on Mt. Meron near the Lebanese border when I heard booms and a siren from a nearby community. I thought it was a military exercise. Later in the day I learned Hezbollah had fired on Israel. I was in the first week of a four week tour. Rockets hit Nazareth and Tiberias and places closer to the border. Tourists were asked to move south. It messed up my reservations. Women and children fled south away from the battle. Young men went to war. I know there are Christians in Lebanon, not part of the Jihad. There are Christians in Israel and Palestine too.

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0