USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
my dear bro, you get this in your spirit, you will see how elemental law is..

Colossians 3:3
For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

The law im talking about is abstaining from works of the flesh and is Gods will for us to obey. Why do you call Gods will elemental? Do you wish to shame people in being quiet and not obeying it?

Upvote 0

cubinity

jesus is; the rest is commentary.
Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The whole Gospel is the right answer, its not the law, its instruction. He didn't abolish the law that he himself teaches, its Gods will for us to obey it so he preaches it.

I would say that it is God's will that our lives reflect the heart of the one who wrote. I wouldn't say it is God's will for us to obey the Law in the sense of living in subjection to it. I believe He preaches it because it is the evidence of God's heart that His audience has in their possession, and He wants them to honor God's heart.

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
We can't truly follow after Christ unless we have real faith. In the worst case, if we stumble and cannot see our way, and we doubt that we are saved, is this real faith?

Everyone goes through doubt sometimes. You are casting even more.

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would say that it is God's will that our lives reflect the heart of the one who wrote. I wouldn't say it is God's will for us to obey the Law in the sense of living in subjection to it. I believe He preaches it because it is the evidence of God's heart that His audience has in their possession, and He wants them to honor God's heart.

I agree, our heart should reflect the one who wrote it.

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
Eph 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Eph 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them

Upvote 0

cubinity

Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
By the way, that winking emoticon is already in the software that i copied the verse from, i didn't put it there. But i did leave it there.

I'm okay with winking... and laughing. But, I respect your consideration, knowing you are not okay with them.

If I ever slip up and put an emoticon in a message, please know it is never my intention to offend.

I will try to refrain, in light of Romans 14. God bless.

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm okay with winking... and laughing. But, I respect your consideration, knowing you are not okay with them.

If I ever slip up and put an emoticon in a message, please know it is never my intention to offend.

I will try to refrain, in light of Romans 14. God bless.

No problem brother, thanks.

I just think we get out of hand with our jesting, it can become foolish, it hurts people and after all, we are supposed to love one another. People come here when they are stressed out from life and they need loved, we don't know their background or what hellish life they have endured. Maybe they have been mocked so much that they are actually traumatized from it. The world is a cruel place and the church should not be like them, we should be a place where people feel loved and accepted. These people who come here looking for Jesus don't always see the joking for what it is, they may take offense to it. If we are mature let us show it in love for each other.

Upvote 0

cubinity

Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

I just think we get out of hand with our jesting, it can become foolish, it hurts people and after all, we are supposed to love one another. People come here when they are stressed out from life and they need loved, we don't know their background or what hellish life they have endured. Maybe they have been mocked so much that that they actually traumatized from it. The world is a cruel place and the church should not be like them, we should be a place where people feel loved and accepted. These people who come here looking for Jesus don't always see the joking for what it is, they may take offense to it. If we are mature let us show it in love for each other.

I won't argue about what you think is right. Rom 14 makes it clear that you shouldn't let what you think is right be talked about as evil. I don't see it the way you do, but I totally respect that you see it that way. Therefore, while you can be fully aware that I am not going to stop my sense of humor all together, I will respect your request not to have it in your presence. I can honor that in this public place by being careful to never direct a humorous post at you. However, if you come across me doing it with someone else, all I can ask is that you also not speak evil of what I consider good, so that we are mutually honoring Rom. 14. Does that sound acceptable?

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I won't argue about what you think is right. Rom 14 makes it clear that you shouldn't let what you think is right be talked about as evil. I don't see it the way you do, but I totally respect that you see it that way. Therefore, while you can be fully aware that I am not going to stop my sense of humor all together, I will respect your request not to have it in your presence. I can honor that in this public place by being careful to never direct a humorous post at you. However, if you come across me doing it with someone else, all I can ask is that you also not speak evil of what I consider good, so that we are mutually honoring Rom. 14. Does that sound acceptable?

I know what it feels like, i'm sure i'm not alone. Why should our Joking hurt the ones we are supposed to helping? Are we here for our own pleasure or to serve the Lord? Joking is good, laughing with each others is good but laughing at others is not.

Upvote 0

cubinity

Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I know what it feels like, i'm sure i'm not alone. Why should our Joking hurt the ones we are supposed to helping? Are we here for our own pleasure or to serve the Lord? Joking is good, laughing with each others is good but laughing at others is not.

I know how being laughed at feels.
But, emoticons and humor are appropriately used to communicate a wide variety of things.
Therefore, you are free to not have a sense of humor, but universalizing that conviction might just be a little too intrusive for my taste.
Thus, I will respect your personal no-laughing policy when talking to you, but I'm not going to stop doing what I believe is right.
On this matter, I am just going to have to stick with my conscience.
I hope you can respect that, just as I am committed to respecting you.
Does that sound acceptable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I know how being laughed at feels.
But, emoticons and humor are appropriately used to communicate a wide variety of things.
Therefore, you are free to not have a sense of humor, but universalizing that conviction might just be a little too intrusive for my taste.
Thus, I will respect your personal no-laughing policy when talking to you, but I'm not going to stop doing what I believe is right.
On this matter, I am just going to have to stick with my conscience.
I hope you can respect that, just as I am committed to respecting you.
Does that sound acceptable?

I'm talking about laughing at others. If we laugh at our friend who knows we're just joking that's one thing, but when we laugh at strangers this is never good. Please don't take me wrong and think i'm like the Grinch who stole Christmas, i'm just keeping it real.

Upvote 0

cubinity

Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm talking about laughing at others. If we laugh at our friend who knows we're just joking that's one thing, but when we laugh at strangers this is never good. Please don't take me wrong and think i'm like the Grinch who stole Christmas, i'm just keeping it real.

I totally respect that you are keeping it real.
On the other hand, one question:
Can we differentiate the difference between someone laugh at us and someone laughing at something we wrote?
Just curious.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The law im talking about is abstaining from works of the flesh and is Gods will for us to obey. Why do you call Gods will elemental? Do you wish to shame people in being quiet and not obeying it?
I wish with all my heart that was what you're talking about. Because of previous posts I find that very difficult to swallow. From the heart the mouth speaketh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I totally respect that you are keeping it real.
On the other hand, one question:
Can we differentiate the difference between someone laugh at us and someone laughing at something we wrote?
Just curious.

When we laugh at something someone wrote we are laughing at the person who wrote it, we can laugh at our friends who know we're joking, but how can we laugh at strangers, maybe in the process we're actually laughing at Jesus too, just like when we deny a cup of water to one of the least among us we deny it to Jesus Himself, we can disagree without hurting each other.
Sometimes people can't easily differentiate because they are stressed out from life and are plagued with low self esteem and they need loved, they are accustomed to being laughed at and sometimes that's all they know, these are the ones who need cared for, they need to see Jesus love. And these people may just take things the wrong way sometimes, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful not to offend them. And its also true that Sometimes people do use innuendo to hurt each other and act as if they aren't doing anything wrong. This doesn't help when a person who has been hurt by ridicule and mocking runs across a post that someone who doesn't mean to do harm wrote because this person who is reading it has been hurt by others is now suspicious of these things because of one person, or a group of people who abused them previously. It is what it is, the truth. Why debate over it? We can all learn from it, myself included.

Paul did say to do away with all foolish jesting, not jesting in general but foolish jesting, this i think means that we should be careful to not offend or judge one another through our jokes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I just think we get out of hand with our jesting, it can become foolish, it hurts people and after all, we are supposed to love one another. People come here when they are stressed out from life and they need loved, we don't know their background or what hellish life they have endured. Maybe they have been mocked so much that they are actually traumatized from it. The world is a cruel place and the church should not be like them, we should be a place where people feel loved and accepted. These people who come here looking for Jesus don't always see the joking for what it is, they may take offense to it. If we are mature let us show it in love for each other.
You know we debate doctrine and theology here. That isn't patting some one on the back when they promote something others don't agree with. You're telling and not asking. Because you're telling you're not looking for advice. Since you continue along the same line you're not testifying either. So what are you doing? You're quoting some Scripture like a seasoned Christian or religious person. It simply can't be believed there isn't willful motive. You act exactly like other people who promote false doctrine here but with a slightly different approach. You play the poor me card way to often to silence or change opinion IMHO FWIW.

Upvote 0

cubinity

Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You know we debate doctrine and theology here. That isn't patting some one on the back when they promote something others don't agree with. You're telling and not asking. Because you're telling you're not looking for advice. Since you continue along the same line you're not testifying either. So what are you doing? You're quoting some Scripture like a seasoned Christian or religious person. It simply can't be believed there isn't willful motive. You act exactly like other people who promote false doctrine here but with a slightly different approach. You play the poor me card way to often to silence or change opinion IMHO FWIW.

I agree and would have struggled to say it so respectfully. Well chosen words, sir.

Upvote 0

Apr 16, 2011
USA
✟6,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

We play the hand we are dealt, my concern if for others also, not just myself. Why should i trust any doctrine that isn't spoken in love because its plagued with shameless mocking and ridicule? Why should i go away thinking that's ok and think i can love someone by laughing at them? What am i learning from it? Paul always stresses that we should be examples in our works, not just words, and we should be holy in all manner of conversation. You seem to keep accusing me falsely, you don't even know me, i am listening to the lord and obeying the best i can, He is my judge.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.