Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I saw this topic on the Catholic forum and thought I'd bring it over here.

I don't know how to make a poll but if anyone is curious enough please feel free to do so. Do you all feel more connected when holding hands during prayer?

Can you show me anyplace in the Bible that says we are to join hands when we pray?

Most of the time I would prefer to not hold hands with random people when praying. Any opinions on the subject?

czali

Oct 19, 2009
✟7,958.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to be afraid of stuff like that too.. I have to say.. it depends on where you are in your walk.. because if you are strong, you can hold hands with anyone and pray for/with them.

Laying on of hands same thing.. however if I know you are a wiccan you won't be laying hands on me.. that stuff.. hey.. what faith is your doctor? People rarely think about the faith of their dentist or doctor. I think it is important too.

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Holding hands can mean a number of things to different people, but it is not a ritual of prayer in the Bible, and it by no means implies any kind of automatic spiritual connection. It is an emotional device. For some, it can be a way of communicating singleness of mind.

Many of our practices, indeed, have come from pagan origins and have been justified by unrelated Biblical passages. Praying with hands held in a ring, in most applications, is one of them, and so is the superstition that merely touching a person in itself can automatically bring about some sort of "spiritual" effect. However, I think that those who prohibit the practice of holding hands during prayer for this reason miss the point.

The simple fact that a ring, for instance, is an important symbol in our pagan past does in no way prohibit us from using it to demonstrate something completely different. Pagans did a number of things holding hands in a ring, but that doesn't mean that a child will become possessed with the devil because he plays on a merry-go-round. And, the fact that pagan practices have involved holding hands should in no way prohibit us from grasping the hands of our fellow believers, to demonstrate to them that we are with them. To be wary of holding hands alone for such a reason is not only to be superstitious, but hypocritical.

But should we hold hands in a circle as if we were summoning, or standing around a pagan altar? Um, no. Should we hold hands with the belief that there is something inherently spiritual about doing so? Nope. We should simply be sound of mind and do what is appropriate.

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you!!!! I had always felt odd by not wanting to hold hands and frankly it distracts me. (I'm doing my happy dance) I will feel more comfortable praying as I would prefer. I wonder why so many people try to insist that you hold hands and make you feel out of sorts for not wanting to do so.

Also there's H1N1.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Perhaps this could be a legitimate excuse you could use. However I am sure if you politely decline holding hands or just step aside no one would be too upset by it. As a family we usually hold hands at home when we pray the blessing of the food. Like at Christmas or thanksgiving or easter etc. Not sure why just something that my hubby likes to do I think it helps everyone focus on the prayer time. We tend to be a pretty ADD bunch. gg

Upvote 0

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps this could be a legitimate excuse you could use. However I am sure if you politely decline holding hands or just step aside no one would be too upset by it. As a family we usually hold hands at home when we pray the blessing of the food. Like at Christmas or thanksgiving or easter etc. Not sure why just something that my hubby likes to do I think it helps everyone focus on the prayer time. We tend to be a pretty ADD bunch. gg

At home is fine for me too. I've had well meaning people (they think) at church just insist that everyone hold hands and won't begin until that happens.

Upvote 0

1usul1

Sep 9, 2008
New Zealand
✟8,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we had a prayer meeting once and I saw a picture of us holding hands in a circle as we came to intercede for someone who had atrial fribulation, a condition of the artia of the heart.
We prayed together as I saw, he got he healed.

I felt like it helped us focus and it symbolized agreement between us.
Did he get healed cos we held hands?
Probably not.

But like many things it can be religious and wrong or it can be pure and of God.
Praying for example, can be done out of a spirit of worship and truth and faith and belief or it can be done out of religion.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
physical touch is a very sensitive matter. There are several thing you should do first

1) find out if it's Gods will for you to hold hands during prayer. A simple three day fast would help.

2) unless there is a problem with homosexuality in the group, be sure to ask, men and women should not hold hands, so they don't lust.

3). Finally, NO CIRCLES, it's pagen. You should only stand in a septagon (seven sided), seven is Gods number (completion).

Either that or be free and do what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
3). Finally, NO CIRCLES, it's pagen. You should only stand in a septagon (seven sided), seven is Gods number (completion).

Just because some pagans sit in a circle does that make circles pagan? Jesus' disciples sat in a circle:

Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! {Mark 3:34}.

:)

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just because some pagans sit in a circle does that make circles pagan? Jesus' disciples sat in a circle:

Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! {Mark 3:34}.

:)

Joke: Definition found here

1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act:

2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham;

3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: .

Upvote 0
F

ForHisGlory2009

Hello,

I probably will have have the usual thought about holding hands so far. Actually I have mixed feelings about it. There are times when I sort of prefer not to hold hands, sometimes it can be a distraction, if alot of people are swaing in different directions, your arms being stretched, someone holding your hand too loost or too tight, and sometimes who you hold hands with. Also, there are times that I love to hold hands. There have been times I have held hands in prayer and just so in tune to praying that the presence of the Lord just came upon me. I have experienced this quite a few times with holding hands, especially if everyone's mind is focused on that one thing. It's like you have unity and other surround/near you on one accord praying. You can be on one accord without holding hands, but I think sometimes it helps to hold hands especially if the Lord is leading you to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
point of contact ....will lay hands upon the sick, will impart, will lift up, holy hands lifted high
point of agreement ....any 2-3 gathered in His name
1 will put a thousand to flight, 2 will put 10,000 to flight...
corporate v's private prayer, more people, more agreement, more authority , greater need ...James 5.15

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think it is arrogance just ignorance. Not every one likes to be hugged either. We Christians can be a bit overbearing at times but in a well meaning way jsut assuming people feel like we do about these sorts of things. gg

Upvote 0