Hogweed: the Superfood of the Reset

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟29,490.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This is a bit tongue in cheek, so don't crucify me. Not sure if this is the right forum for a bit of light hearted fun about something that is bugging quite a few.

[Background]

I visited mum and dad yesterday afternoon and delivered some nutrient free bottled water [ultra filtered to about 10 parts per million]. Its soft and has great flavour. Mum was out on the front lawn pulling up weeds, or a weed in particular.

"Bit of a warm part of the day to be doing that," I remarked.

"I'm trying to find out what this plant is," she replied, "I told your father its pigweed but he says its not."

Well, it turned out it was. Purselane or Portulacca oleracea. A real pest to gardeners as a single plant can produce as many as 2 million seeds and its drought hardy and grows anywhere - even in cracks in the concrete.

But then came the fun facts.

Its highly nutritious, in fact, one website claimed it was the most nutritious vegetable on the planet. Think of it! and it grows so easily it will take over your lawn if you leave it to grow. Why not just have a lawn of it and have a superfood at your fingertips?

There is a farmer in Australia who is growing it to market. Great product. Hardly any upkeep and so prolific.

Healthline.com calls it "a tasty weed that is loaded with nutrients." Loaded with antixidants; high in important minerals; contains oxalates.

What more could you want for a healthy diet?

Gardeningknowhow.com will tell you how to grow it. Very easy making it a source of cheap herb or vegetable because you can cook it or use it in salads, or simply pick it fresh and eat it. It tastes pretty good, I tried it.

Google it and read all about it. So much written.

And its right up the alley of resetters. Think how easy to produce and market.

Maybe you could make a meal of it alongside crickets [they're kosher, you know].

How's your appetite? Boosted by this conversation?

Actually, I'd probably eat hogweed again. Not too sure about crickets, can't get my head around the thought of eating those, it makes my stomach wriggle.

Have a wonderful day as you think about what we might find ourselves eating in the years ahead.

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,568.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On seeing your title I imagined someone trying to eat giant hogweed. :eek:
Don't even touch that stuff with your bare hands!

Pigweed, in the amarath family, is definitely edible and prolific. Hogweed, not so much. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, unless it's a phototoxic sap spewing monster.

Purselane, a variety of portulaca, is also a tasty and prolific weed. Just make sure you know what you are picking and or eating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There’s always the impossible burger. I won’t eat it but many have.

9F7A85C3-2016-451A-8E90-BDF446D08098.png

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Impossible burger is surprisingly authentic. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd consider it more often, but my taste test was a successful experiment.

I haven't had the gumption to try chapulines, though. I wouldn't say they're common in LA, but definitely available.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dandelions are very nutritious, yet we kill it to save our lawns. The "reset" might change our priorities on a lot of things.

To be palatable dandelions have to be cultivated, like any other herb.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Healthline.com calls it "a tasty weed that is loaded with nutrients." Loaded with antixidants; high in important minerals; contains oxalates.

What more could you want for a healthy diet?
Something that doesn't give you kidney stones?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Would be great for lawns to go away, at least most of them.

I've seen some amazing looking natural lawns. They might have a small grassy area for the dog or for a few lawn chairs. I have a townhouse with a small backyard, but I want to transform it into something more natural.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums