Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yep, in the era of the Founding Fathers, abortion was accepted in English common law, and that also pertained to the colonies and early America.

In the 18th century and until about 1880, abortions were allowed under common law and widely practiced. They were illegal only after “quickening,” the highly subjective term used to describe when pregnant women could feel the fetus moving, Reagan said.

• Agree
Reactions: NxNW
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The surprising history of abortion in the United States | CNN

I always thought that this issue did not go back as far as the late 1700s .

Actually goes back to ancient Rome and Greece. See Didache 2:2; as well as the documented cases in the Bible and other ancient texts.

We had little insight in fetal development before the imaging technology we have today. With science on the side of life, I think we can soon end this crisis.

What will be the true uphill battle will be unbrainwashing people from believing that a mother killing their own children is somehow a virtuous "right"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What will be the true uphill battle will be unbrainwashing people from believing that a mother killing their own children is somehow a virtuous "right"

This is where I completely see opposite of evangelical Christians who claim to be pro-life. As a born-again Christian, if I want to reduce abortion, I don’t need to un- brainwashed any one about abortion or ban abortion or change law about abortion or defund planned parenthood.. What I need to do is preach the gospel and bring people to Christ and let Holy Spirit do the work.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,633.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We had little insight in fetal development before the imaging technology we have today. With science on the side of life, I think we can soon end this crisis.

Science tells us that fetuses don’t develop higher brain functions until after the first trimester. So we know they aren’t persons. I don’t see how that helps your case...

• Agree
Reactions: NxNW
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science tells us that fetuses don’t develop higher brain functions until after the first trimester. So we know they aren’t persons. I don’t see how that helps your case...
I'm curious about your point about higher brain function: how does Science determine this? And even if higher brain function isn't there or perhaps isn't provable at that point, what makes that a criteria for the fetus to be a person? It would seem to me that we all started out equally vulnerable and demonstrating much lower brain function at that stage than we do as adults.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

"Science" has been known to contradict himself quite a bit lately.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious about your point about higher brain function: how does Science determine this? And even if higher brain function isn't there or perhaps isn't provable at that point, what makes that a criteria for the fetus to be a person? It would seem to me that we all started out equally vulnerable and demonstrating much lower brain function at that stage than we do as adults.
A potential human being would likely need to have an actual, physical brain before expecting “brain functions”.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Evolution (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

If we want to get real technical about 'personhood this is about as scary as you can get.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are going to study the history of abortion in the US, one has to objectively look also at the largest abortion provider. Planned Parenthood and its founder Margaret Sanger.

Margaret Sanger was a racist eugenics advocate who shouldn't be honored

In promoting birth control, she advanced a controversial "Negro Project," wrote in her autobiography about speaking to a Ku Klux Klan group and advocated for a eugenics approach to breeding for “the gradual suppression, elimination and eventual extinction, of defective stocks — those human weeds which threaten the blooming of the finest flowers of American civilization.”

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is where I completely see opposite of evangelical Christians who claim to be pro-life. As a born-again Christian, if I want to reduce abortion, I don’t need to un- brainwashed any one about abortion or ban abortion or change law about abortion or defund planned parenthood.. What I need to do is preach the gospel and bring people to Christ and let Holy Spirit do the work.

I agree, but just as with murder, robbery, rape, and a host of other heinous crimes, the law must both deter and punish the guilty. Unless you wish to make a case for undoing those laws as well, I don't see the relevance of "leaving abortion legal" just because it is right now.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Because science is clear that life begins at conception. As far as living human vs. "personhood" argument; this is just a factor of time. It's like seeing your parent go on life support due to a car accident (or whatever), knowing they'll be okay in 3-4 months, but pulling the plug because you don't want to take care of them.

Heart beats at 5 weeks and when an abortion is performed, it's not the mother's heart that is stopped, but the baby's.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That plus comprehensive sex ed starting in middle school. At least if we go by the evidence.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree, but just as with murder, robbery, rape, and a host of other heinous crimes, the law must both deter and punish the guilty. Unless you wish to make a case for undoing those laws as well, I don't see the relevance of "leaving abortion legal" just because it is right now.
I mean if any of those things had been made legal in 1973 and after decades of legality the rate of occurrence was lower now than during prohibition, like what happened with abortion....

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I mean if any of those things had been made legal in 1973 and after decades of legality the rate of occurrence was lower now than during prohibition, like what happened with abortion....

There shouldn't be a "rate" of which viable babies, killed by doctors, should be accepted IMO.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There shouldn't be a "rate" of which viable babies, killed by doctors, should be accepted IMO.
Yet leaving it legal has made that rate lower. Why then make it illegal if that is demonstratively less effective?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yet leaving it legal has made that rate lower. Why then make it illegal if that is demonstratively less effective?

Because I firmly believe that making abortion illegal would prevent more abortions AND give justice to the dead babies of those who would still perform them. This seems very much common sense to me. Where's the justice for those who perform them now? Murder is murder, aside from the permissive will of the state.

• Agree
Upvote 0