Gods_luv_rox

Oct 13, 2004
Australia
✟7,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ha ha... you serious!!! Mate Gary's awesome... I don't see him much these days though. I used to work at Target in Blacktown (before they moved across the street... well, across what used to be a street)... Gary's still there I think. I last saw Gary at Hillsong this year, we were both roped into a Christine Caine session... and to be honest it was the worst Hillsong session ever.... anyhow sorry about that, the only highlight was Gary being there, he he... um... I wouldn't say what you said about your church... having spoken at length about Christianity, the church etc with Gary, I reckon he might agree with you... he is a huge fan of the Hillsong methodology... so I think he may not have a problem with what you say... but he's likely to say stay there!

hahahaha...so i guess you live near blacktown??....and ummm target jst moved into the new building sooo, yeh....hmmm well i guess you know him more than i do, and yeh i recognised that he likes hillsong a lot too, him, his sisters and bro. hahaha. well yeh.

Upvote 0

ivon

Aug 16, 2005
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Gods_luv_rox said:
ey, ummm this is jst a random question, and i'm not really bright but what does pentecostal mean??? is that a religion?? and if it is i hope i didn't offend anyone. i jst wanna know what it means.

Hi guys... just finished my exams today :sick: ... although it was over, cant say that I'm relieved :( hehehe worry about the result now...

as far as I understand Godsluvrox, pentacostal is just one of many christian doctrines... we also have baptist, methodist, reform, etc... I myself was actually growing up from pentacostal church, I guess I can say that pentacostal churchs are more traditional maybe... I'm not really capable to explain you from the teaching standpoint though... in fact sometimes I still kinda confused about all this doctrines and not sure what to believe... I know everything have to go back to God's Word again... so i guess we have to read God's Words more often and ask for His guidance...

ehmm maybe this is kinda sensitive question, but what do y'all think about speaking in tongue? I'm just wondering what the newcomers to hillsong united first impression is when they hear it and how Phil or other youth pastors explain it. I realized that in every dvd of hillsong album i've never heard them speaking in tongue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟17,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
itsgood said:
where does the name powerhouse come from, does it have some sort of significance, or is it just because hillsong wants to call its youth group a cooler name than "hillsong youth group"?
Far as I know, it's just a name. I guess getting older, the emphasis is on trying to get people more mature in Christ, more into prayer etc... although you could be forgiven if you didn't pick that up in Powerhouse, to me it's more a meeting you bring friends to - not that there's any problem with that, that's a very good thing. But even so, there is a greater sense of maturity and spirituality in their meetings than the younger groups, and I would expect that. You can't expect a bunch of sixtyeighters praying with the same degree of power and patience that you might come to expect from adults...not that it can't happen, just that it's less likely, and their emphasis has been on fun, whereas while powerhouse is similar, I guess they are trying to emphasise the "POWER" and maturity... ah I don't know, just a theory

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟17,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
ivon said:
Hi guys... just finished my exams today :sick: ... although it was over, cant say that I'm relieved :( hehehe worry about the result now.
Congratulations! Hope it all works out, I'm sure it will!

ivon said:
as far as I understand Godsluvrox, pentacostal is just one of many christian doctrines... we also have baptist, methodist, reform, etc... I myself was actually growing up from pentacostal church, I guess I can say that pentacostal churchs are more traditional maybe... I'm not really capable to explain you from the teaching standpoint though... in fact sometimes I still kinda confused about all this doctrines and not sure what to believe... I know everything have to go back to God's Word again... so i guess we have to read God's Words more often and ask for His guidance.
Right you are! As far as humanly possible, Pente's are very open to the movement of the Holy Spirit. Some denominations aren't really interested in seeing the Spirit move, but the Pente's generally are. The other facet of Pentecostal understanding is their claim to believe the whole Bible, and all it's application... of course that is a subjective claim because you get differences in interpretation all across our denomination.

For example, most of the Pente's (hillsong are the biggest proponents of this) hold the prosperity view, that you give and God gives back more - this is in reference to money. Our church only holds to that moderately. Other things... we are pretty open on the moving of the Holy Spirit, both in church and in everyday life... others may not be... good or bad, I'm still finding out. But basically there is less dispensation - ie, dispening OT theology under the mistaken belief it is abolished in the new... Jesus came to fulfil the law - the only thing that is abolished are the requirements God set for the Jews in relation to food - and the whole "eye for an eye" thing... most of the rest of the OT needs to be looked at. Not to mention, the Holy Spirit moving in the NT is for today as well! But anyway not to turn this too theological...

ivon said:
ehmm maybe this is kinda sensitive question, but what do y'all think about speaking in tongue? I'm just wondering what the newcomers to hillsong united first impression is when they hear it and how Phil or other youth pastors explain it. I realized that in every dvd of hillsong album i've never heard them speaking in tongue.
Great question! I have never actually heard anyone at Hillsong speak in tongues. Having said that I know they are into it... and also having said that, tongues isn't always something you speak out so loud...

I am in favour of tongues... but there are two things here: praying in tongues (that we do a lot and i see a few Hillsong leaders and so forth do... but only a few... usually a fairly quiet thing) and speaking in tongues (usually loud, this is often a word from the Lord which someone will then be expected to interpret... everytime this has happened, there is someone who will soon follow and give an interpretation. I have never heard this at Hillsong, I guess they're scared in case it disrupts the service, I don't know... just my 2c :)

Upvote 0

Gods_luv_rox

Oct 13, 2004
Australia
✟7,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realized that in every dvd of hillsong album i've never heard them speaking in tongue.

I guess they don't speak in tongue in the dvd's or anything, but when i went encounterfest, everytime we prayed the leaders and other people too kept speaking in tongues.
Well anyways what religion is Hillsong really?? are they Pentecostal, Born Again, Baptist or something else...I know they are AOG but what religion are they?? I'm sorry for the quetions...i've been feeling very curios this week. =D hope someone can tell me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟17,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Gods_luv_rox said:
Well anyways what religion is Hillsong really?? are they Pentecostal, Born Again, Baptist or something else...I know they are AOG but what religion are they?? I'm sorry for the quetions...i've been feeling very curios this week. =D hope someone can tell me.
As Tuesday said, in broad terms they are or would appear to be Christian. Going deeper, the denomination is the Assemblies of God which is a branch of the Pentecostal. The AOG is the largest of all Pente denom.'s (you get the CCC/Apostolic movement, the New Life Church, the Foursquare, etc). Born Again describes what happens to a Christian, you don't have to be a Pentecostal to be born again... there are loads of born again Christians in Baptist, Presbyterian, Anglican, even Catholic denominations... born again is a reference to the regenerative work of Christ, not a particular denomination... yes I should wind this up - Hillsong would, I imagine hold to the born again experience, they are too much like our church NOT to.

Upvote 0

ivon

Aug 16, 2005
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
LivingWorship said:
Congratulations! Hope it all works out, I'm sure it will!
I am in favour of tongues... but there are two things here: praying in tongues (that we do a lot and i see a few Hillsong leaders and so forth do... but only a few... usually a fairly quiet thing) and speaking in tongues (usually loud, this is often a word from the Lord which someone will then be expected to interpret... everytime this has happened, there is someone who will soon follow and give an interpretation. I have never heard this at Hillsong, I guess they're scared in case it disrupts the service, I don't know... just my 2c :)

Thanks for the explanation livingworship... actually I used to speak in tongue when i was growing in my charismatic church in high school... I've been taught that it's a gift that if you ask then you will get it by faith... and then if you are really desiring it then your tongue will suddenly speak by itself... although i did experience that but if i go back to that first time when I got it, Im still confused whether I just tried to make it up or what... anyway I dont speak in tongue anymore now since the church and the christian envrionment where I am now are not really emphasizing in that gift. However, i still believe that Holy Spirit lives in my heart right after I believe in Jesus... I believe that it's a spiritual gift that maybe not all of us will get (many people have different beliefs in this though)... but I think I agree with what Paul said about it's meaningless to speak in tongue when nonbelievers were there coz they wont understand anyway ( not that the believers would understand too unless God interpret it thru someone) and they would think christians were crazy and therefore they decided not to come anymore... But I also still respect people who in favor of tongue...sometimes I just dont know what to say when people share their different beliefs in this topic, but one thing for sure... I know I need to learn and meditate on God's Words more and just ask for His wisdom everyday.

btw, Godluvrox... so when marty and joel lead the worship... they also spoke in tongue?

thanks guys... y'all are great :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jubilea

Oct 28, 2005
Selangor
Visit site
✟184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
i didn't know hillsong leaders spoke in tongues...

actually the Planet Shakers confo 05 m'sia was just over. i went...great great stuff. and they did speak in it. during the impartation service they were praying for everyone to receive the gift...im not sure if i did. i get what you say ivon...im still not sure if i made up the words when i tried to speak in tongues but yeah, i was kinda surprised to see the PS people speaking in tongues. but i know quite some people don't like tongues...my friend's mum doesnt like her to come to my church cos she hasn't been there before and she thinks tongue speakers are cults, even tho i've said we dont speak that in my church...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.