SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
High school basketball player handcuffed after game for 'trespassing' in gym
A junior varsity basketball player at Ben Lomond High School was handcuffed and detained following his game on Friday at Cedar Valley High School.

Laval Stephens, 16, says he and a group of his teammates were sitting on the Cedar Valley side watching the varsity game when an administrator from Cedar Valley High asked them to move.

"I was just asking, 'Can you please give me a reason why I have to move? Is there anywhere in the rulebook that says I have to move?'"

According to Laval, he agreed to leave the area and walked with his coach back to Ben Lomond's side of the gym.

The basketball player said while he was walking with his coach, a deputy with the Utah County Sheriff’s Department approached him, and that’s when things escalated and took a turn for the worst.

Don't sit on the wrong side of the basketball court!

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,105.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am glad you guys see.
If this happened to one of our NZ Maori citizens, it would be front-page news, and mass protests in the streets, and the school administrator would be instantly dismissed for racial discrimination, and the local police commander would be having to front up on the 6pm news to answer for the conduct of the police under his jurisdiction. The police officer would most certainly be seriously reprimanded and have a black mark on his record, blocking him from promotion for years to come.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
If this happened to one of our NZ Maori citizens, it would be front-page news, and mass protests in the streets, and the school administrator would be instantly dismissed for racial discrimination, and the local police commander would be having to front up on the 6pm news to answer for the conduct of the police under his jurisdiction. The police officer would most certainly be seriously reprimanded and have a black mark on his record, blocking him from promotion for years to come.
Unfortunately, the mistreatment of black bodies by law enforcement has been a thing in American society since the antebellum period. Many of those practices, attitudes, suspicion and abuse of young black men continue to this day.

There is an argument that one needs to prove that racism exists in police forces across the country, but many police forces from the start had a racist foundation. The real question, when was racism ever eradicated from police forces? Last I checked, the law changed, but we never saw an en made removal of officers that abused people.

I remember reading an article about a man that became a police officer only to have a supervisor that terrorized his community when he was younger. Of course now this officer is polite and nice because they’re “wearing the same colors,” but he is now in a senior position despite his past history. That is a real problem in the US, and situations demonstrate excising those elements of policing will be a long process.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Having done them myself, I would love to know the results of the internal investigation. I don’t know about the laws in Utah, but I fail to understand the problem of a spectator watching a school game.

I also want to see the outcome of the law suits against the school for telling the student to move and the police department for illegal detention under the color of law.

Upvote 0