Hide your classroom books to avoid felony charges, Florida school districts tell teachers

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Dozens of books removed from Martin County schools

A new list shows dozens and dozens of books have been removed from library shelves in the Martin County School District.

Books by well known authors like James Patterson, Toni Morrison, and Jodi Picoult are now off the shelves in Martin County schools.

"Once you start inserting scenes of curses and graphic sexual content, you render them inappropriate in some settings," parent Paul Marcucci said. "They might be fine in a local library or for personal purchase, but not for schools."

Parents sounded off on both sides of book bans at a recent Martin County School Board meeting.

--

The Handmaid's Tale - Removed from circulation and Destiny per FLDOE Library/Media Training
Wicked: Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Removed from circulation and Destiny per FLDOE Library/Media Training
The Storyteller - Removed from circulation and Destiny per FLDOE Library/Media Training

--

The removal list includes Picoult’s novel “The Storyteller” about the granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor who meets an elderly former SS officer. It contains some violent scenes told in flashbacks from World War II and an assisted suicide.

“Banning ‘The Storyteller’ is shocking, as it is about the Holocaust and has never been banned before,” Picoult told us in an email.

“Martin County is the first to ban twenty of my books at once,” Picoult said, slamming such bans as “a shocking breach of freedom of speech and freedom of information.”

Picoult said she’s puzzled by the ban, because she does not “write adult romance,” as objections filed against her books claimed.

“Most of the books pulled do not even have a single kiss in them,” Picoult told us. “They do, however, include gay characters, and issues like racism, disability, abortion rights, gun control, and other topics that might make a kid think differently from their parents.”

• Informative
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that's how you feel....what possible good would it do to tell you I read the article? It covers a wide range of what it considers sexualization....from media to education, including early education.

All you're telling me here is you aren't interested in any evidence that won't support your preconceived conclusions.

No, you just aren't understanding what I'm saying.
No that's a fact. He came across some monstrous pedophiles and covered for them....it's possible these people were making up tales of abuse but I don't find that particularly ethical or endearing.

And yes....it would be an ad hominem if the one thing had nothing to do with the other. At a certain threshold though....it seems foolish to ignore the people who make up the members of a group. If there's a large number of pedophiles in a group advocating for free babysitting that they are willing to provide....it's not an ad hominem to point that out. If there's an alarming number of Marxists in your revolutionary political party....it's not an ad hominem to question its goals.

If these things were irrelevant....you'd be correct. The number of Marxists in my baking class is inconsequential.

It throws his conclusions into question.

If you really want to discuss the methodological problems with the Kinsey study though....we can do that too.

No, it doesn't -- particularly the point I referenced which had nothing to do with pedophilia. And methodological problems with which Kinsey study, there are far more than just one? I personally don't care for Kinsey at all and I do have issues with various studies he did. This particular thing, though, seems to be supported by more recent research.
I'm asking out of genuine confusion.....and a slight suspicion that Matt Walsh is stealing my arguments lol.

I pointed out many couldn't define woman (along with a lot of other terms) about a year before Walsh made his video. I pointed out nobody actually knows the trans youth suicide rate on a thread months ago...and just week or so ago he's testifying in front of a state legislature making the same point.

Walsh if you're reading this....I'm ideologically uncommitted and cheaply bought. You can have all my best arguments, and easiest arguments, exclusively for cheap....for or against nearly anything.....for a year. I'll sign a NDA. PM me.

I have nothing against trans or gay people. I argued in the past, on this forum, that equality under the law meant marriage under the law....not a civil union....because if the legal aspects were the same, then there was no need in changing the name of the union except for purposes of discrimination.

It's not that I like or dislike gay or trans people....I'm indifferent. I don't like this method of advocacy. I don't like it so much...that even though a state passed a law recently (Tennessee I think) pushing the age of consent for trans medical treatment to 25...something I don't agree with...I wouldn't actually argue against it.

That's because I don't want help a group that uses their tactics.

You don't want to have a discussion. I have an honest concern about harm being done to children. I'm sure you're aware these things have happened in the past....

No, I have an issue with it being called "child abuse." To me, it demeans what is being done by actual predators that prey on children.

True...I don't think I'd make such arguments for adults. They can argue for themselves. Children however, require protection. The possibility that they require protection from the state or a doctor is a rare, but very real and unfortunate reality. Scientists don't always get it right.

You may have heard of eugenics before....and it involved the mass sterilization of children in many places based on what was considered the best scientific consensus at the time. This program has a lot of very similar features from relatively weak research....to serious ethical considerations that have been ignored....as well as an influential advocacy group politically driving the agenda.

The fact that you don't actually know what harm this is supposed to prevent....what good is supposed to come of it....but I'm somehow dishonest for expressing concern for the safety of children that are being sexualized in the classroom is bizarre to me.

Sorry no....the harm to children is the main point of contention I have here....even the methods of this advocacy group are secondary to that. I won't just drop it because you doubt my sincerity.

Again, you've misunderstood my points. I agree, children need to be protected and there is information they don't need until they are older. At the same time, it isn't abuse (not by my definitions) even though giving information too soon or the wrong way can be harmful and shouldn't be done.
The fact that the same psychologists who are saying that a little boy can decide to start being little girl and consent to irreversible medical treatment procedures....also recommends getting some of his sperm frozen in case he changes his mind about wanting children as an adult should be cause for alarm.

And, as a general rule, I'm against those psychologists -- though, to be honest, my experience is that they are an extremely small minority in the profession. What I tend to support are the standards of care, the ones that don't allow "irreversible" (which tends to be surgical) treatment in minors.

Whenever I bring this up...nobody ever has any explanation for why we're doing this to children. Occasionally, someone admits we're doing it for gay and trans people....because they are groups that large swaths of society either discriminates against or dislikes. I don't see why that justifies indoctrination. There's tons of groups hated or disliked by large numbers of people. Incels are generally disliked....but we don't teach little girls to be nice to them.

It's largely because it is a dishonest discussion -- it isn't being done to children. There are some examples but extremely few. That is the reason why Kim Petras (who is currently in right wing news for her Grammy performance) is famous for being the youngest to get sex reassignment surgery at 16, and note that it did not occur in the US.
Why not? Is this about reducing suicide and bullying and discrimination? Or is it a blatantly self serving political indoctrination that seeks to eliminate political opposition in the least honest and most potentially harmful way?

What exactly do you think this is over?

How can you not know what you're advocating for and call me dishonest? Have you seen any if these books? Any curriculum materials? Listened to any experiences of students that parents are upset about?

I don't expect you to have a comprehensive knowledge of everything every school is teaching. I don't know how you can possibly judge this without even glancing at the evidence.....unless you don't care about evidence.

I'm sorry....it seemed like you were against these measures taken in Florida to remove certain inappropriate content from K-3rd grade classrooms.

I'm against the law, though largely not the part about K-3rd grade other than the ways it could prevent anti-bullying campaigns, such as against a child that has two same sex parents. I'm against how a single parent objecting can prevent any comments about homosexuality, based on this law, through high school. I recently saw a bit of debate from the Tennessee legislature, where a copycat law has been proposed, and the point was made the law would prevent teaching about Eleanor Roosevelt as the wife of President Franklin Roosevelt's wife -- because that would be "discussing/teaching sexual orientation."

But, yes, you've pointed out why they do it that way -- then you can claim that all the people that are against the law are in favor of "abusing" children.

Is that not the case?

Because you really should know what that content is if you want it in classrooms, right? How irresponsible would it be to advocate for children to be exposed to something without knowing anything about it?

I'm not stating a scare tactic. I'm stating I think this is harmful to children....based on evidence. It definitely seems helpful to people who aren't children in public schools....and that's not a good reason for it. Children in public schools aren't the problem you seem concerned about....so it's hard to imagine how they might be a solution.

Except, again, you are -- just not intentionally -- you are buying into the Right Wing's distortion of what these laws actually do; particularly how they are largely a backhanded way of preventing any discussion of sex in public schools prior to college. I'm guessing we are far more in agreement than disagreement, I just see the deceptive things being done by the Right. Granted, I'm not much happier about many on the Left.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, you just aren't understanding what I'm saying.

I don't think that's the case.

No, it doesn't -- particularly the point I referenced which had nothing to do with pedophilia.

Dr Money (the one infamous for destroying the lives of two men after years of childhood sexual abuse at his hands) promoted the theory that gender was merely a social construct and as such....was malleable, or outright changeable. His theory is still considered part of the foundational groundwork of Gender Theory as it stands today... despite it being just an obvious cover for the child abuse he was engaging in.

You can imagine Kinsey as somehow different despite the protection he gave to admitted pedophiles....but I find that too much of a coincidence to be purely accidental. If Kinsey had found results contrary to what he was looking for and published his study anyway....you'd be correct....but that's not the case.

And methodological problems with which Kinsey study, there are far more than just one?

Yeah, although we can start with replication. Has anyone managed to replicate his study?

No, I have an issue with it being called "child abuse." To me, it demeans what is being done by actual predators that prey on children.

I don't think you meant to write that out the way you did.

Again, you've misunderstood my points. I agree, children need to be protected and there is information they don't need until they are older. At the same time, it isn't abuse (not by my definitions) even though giving information too soon or the wrong way can be harmful and shouldn't be done.

And, as a general rule, I'm against those psychologists -- though, to be honest, my experience is that they are an extremely small minority in the profession. What I tend to support are the standards of care, the ones that don't allow "irreversible" (which tends to be surgical) treatment in minors.

It's largely because it is a dishonest discussion -- it isn't being done to children. There are some examples but extremely few. That is the reason why Kim Petras (who is currently in right wing news for her Grammy performance) is famous for being the youngest to get sex reassignment surgery at 16, and note that it did not occur in the US.

I'm against the law, though largely not the part about K-3rd grade other than the ways it could prevent anti-bullying campaigns, such as against a child that has two same sex parents. I'm against how a single parent objecting can prevent any comments about homosexuality, based on this law, through high school. I recently saw a bit of debate from the Tennessee legislature, where a copycat law has been proposed, and the point was made the law would prevent teaching about Eleanor Roosevelt as the wife of President Franklin Roosevelt's wife -- because that would be "discussing/teaching sexual orientation."

But, yes, you've pointed out why they do it that way -- then you can claim that all the people that are against the law are in favor of "abusing" children.

Except, again, you are -- just not intentionally -- you are buying into the Right Wing's distortion of what these laws actually do; particularly how they are largely a backhanded way of preventing any discussion of sex in public schools prior to college. I'm guessing we are far more in agreement than disagreement, I just see the deceptive things being done by the Right. Granted, I'm not much happier about many on the Left.

It's a shame that we live in these times when so many in the media lie....and folks like you and me have to parse out the truth from the fiction. That's why DeSantis, tired of seeing lies and distortions like the OP, decided to hold a press conference where he can simply show everyone what is in the books that triggered this systemic review their contents and curriculum.

On his website you can play the video which will show you the controversial content. If you prefer, you can also click the links provided to see the content.

It's graphic stuff and had been banned or slapped with warnings on adult social networks.

Oddly, far fewer posters seem ready to defend these books now.

I would suggest that you take a look at the content. If you still see it as containing some educational value for children.....we can discuss why. If however, you feel like the media you consume has been distorting the facts, and you agree this isn't suitable for children....you can simply say that you were mistaken and I'll let it go at that.

Looking forward to your reply.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Author James Patterson is asking members of the public to "send a polite note" to Gov. Ron DeSantis after the Martin County School District banned his Maximum Ride series.

"Honestly, who would want Maximum Ride banned from schools? On what possible grounds? What do the majority of parents in Martin County think of this arbitrary and borderline absurd decision?"

Martin County borders Palm Beach County, where Patterson lives in the town of Palm Beach.

The science fantasy series, published between 2005 and 2012, centers on the adventures of Maximum "Max" Ride and her family, called the Flock, who are winged human-avian hybrids created at a lab called The School.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

On his website you can play the video which will show you the controversial content. If you prefer, you can also click the links provided to see the content.
I watched some of the video. I'm not going to defend any of the examples I saw - they were clearly inappropriate, but it seems like his "rebuttal" cherry-picks examples, doesn't it? The reports from the school districts are claiming that there are far more books being removed than just those that talk about butt plugs. Why the disconnect? Is Desantis' new policy more restrictive than he's letting on? Are local school administrators getting overzealous? Are they just lying about what books have been removed?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I watched some of the video. I'm not going to defend any of the examples I saw - they were clearly inappropriate, but it seems like his "rebuttal" cherry-picks examples, doesn't it?

Absolutely. The primary examples however are the books which have been at the center of these "book banning" controversies from the start. If you care to look back at any of the articles from barious states and various school boards (there's even a library that refused to remove them and got defunded, and then started a "go fund me" to drum up support for these books-a topic of another thread,) you'll see that it's really just a handful of books 6-12 maybe that caused this outrage.

I don't believe it's entirely unfair for him to hold those few books as examples of why he took the measures he did.

I'll even throw you a rhetorical bone here....I wouldn't be surprised if some books are unfairly caught up in the controversy. I think that's a shame and shouldn't happen. Gender Queer wasn't the worst offender imo...the one that literally tells children how to seek out engage in gay sex, and which apps to download to find anonymous partners, is easily the most inappropriate and potentially harmful to children. The most dangerous thing about Gender Queer is that the crudeness of the drawings and the relatively little text makes it appear to be written for a much younger audience than it indicates. One doesn't have to be literate to follow along with the story.

The reports from the school districts are claiming that there are far more books being removed than just those that talk about butt plugs. Why the disconnect? Is Desantis' new policy more restrictive than he's letting on? Are local school administrators getting overzealous? Are they just lying about what books have been removed?

Well in Desantis' case, I think the overkill has to do with the fact that this controversy has been over something which seems relatively uncontroversial.

Here's another rhetorical bone I'll throw you....

As an atheist, I fully understand the inclination to hear about this and think it's the overreaction of prudish Christian fundamentalists. That's certainly what I thought when I first heard about it. As it kept on happening...I decided that I had best look at whatever made these books so controversial. I was shocked to be honest. Why would anyone imagine these were ok reading materials for children?

It became rather clear that most on the left had no idea what was in these books. There was probably a fair number on the right who had no idea either. Anyone defending them on the left that did know what was in these books....well, it seems they may not have the best interests of children at heart. I think that's the reason why the draconian measures were taken....to ensure those people who did want children exposed to such materials didn't sneak anything in.

So only by putting together a team to go through each book and ensure it's age-appropriate would Desantis be doing the job that he felt was necessary....for the sake of the children....as difficult as that might be to believe. It was clear there are some bad faith actors on both sides, and let's hope that at least this way....materials that shouldn't get banned don't get banned.

I appreciate you taking the time to at least look. Clearly not every poster does.

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2021
Clermont
✟8,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Students arrived in some Florida public school classrooms this month to find their teachers’ bookshelves wrapped in paper — or entirely barren of books — after district officials launched a review of the texts’ appropriateness under a new state law.

School officials in at least two counties, Manatee and Duval, have directed teachers this month to remove or wrap up their classroom libraries, according to records obtained by The Washington Post. The removals come in response to fresh guidance issued by the Florida Department of Education in mid-January, after the State Board of Education ruled that a law restricting the books a district may possess applies not only to schoolwide libraries but to teachers’ classroom collections, too.
Yeah, this is unfortunately the way it has gone because some Teachers have taken great bounds of liberity within their classrooms. I have been a teacher for more than 20 years and most of that was in Florida. A teacher at a different school in the district removed the American flag and replaced it with the Pride flag. A friend's son went to his first grade school and in the first week the teacher encouraged all the students to look through the library's shelves and check-out a book. A typical first grade first week assignment to introduce the library to students. well, my friend's child thought he found an interesting book as the title and cover was about the Himilayan Mountains. The book was actually about alternative lifestyles. Does that sound like something a first grader should be reasing about? Not in my world. Unfortunately, public education has taken many liberities with other people's chiuldren -- "pick your pronouns. pick your gender. You don't have to tell your parents."

That's what this law is about.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
my friend's child thought he found an interesting book as the title and cover was about the Himilayan Mountains. The book was actually about alternative lifestyles.
Cool story bro.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2021
Clermont
✟8,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cool story bro.
That's your response? Hmmm ... interesting. Something that should have never been in a elementary school library, exposing children to things the parents are supposed to be training their children up differently to after an even more serious about public educational over-reach to cucimvent parental authority in the life a child(ren) and that's the response? Says a lot IMPO

Upvote 0