✟7,775.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
miggles said:
I loved make and take things as a child. It's such a wonderful experience for children. I love it!
I did too Migs.:thumbsup: Does anyone else remember being expected to learn bible verses and recite them for the next week? The sunday school teacher would give you a prize if you knew yours. Most of the churches don't do that anymore and I think it is a real shame.

Upvote 0

paulnoel

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!!!
Apr 5, 2005
Cambridge UK
✟10,032.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
I can remember as a child, in the 1950s there was 7 of us including mum and dad (god rest there souls) We were brought up in a small 2 up, 2 down house in Liverpool, England. Times were really hard, me and my 3 brothers use to sleep in one double bed, and at night time the first in to bed would get the middle of the bed so we would keep warmer, we had no heating, no inside toilet and no bathroom. We use to have a pot under the bed if we needed to go to the toilet during the night, and the last one up in the morning had to take the pot out to the ouside toilet. (UGH) We had a tin bath which mum use to boil water on the open fire and pour it into the bath, and me, my 3 brothers and sister would all use the same water. You can imagine the state of the water by the time the last one got in. (we only had a bath once a week) But even though this sound terrible, mum and dad worked so hard just to keep us and feed us, And yet I have so many happy thoughts of my childhood, growing up in the slums of Liverpool. Once I can remember me and my brothers use to go around getting wooden boxs and choping them up for firewood and selling at 1p a bunch. There are so many things I could share with you all about my childhood, but it would take me too long. But what I did get from my childhood is this. How very, very blessed I and my own family are, we have the things I only dreamed of as a child, Central heating, bathroom, with a bath and toilet and hot running water. our own bed, our own room, a tv, a garden. These are only but a few of the things we now have that we didn't have as children. Oh childhood memories, I thank God for them, and for the many blessings I and my family have now.

Anyone else have childhood memories they would like to share.

Upvote 0

Wildwood

Jun 11, 2005
✟1,023.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Central heating (and AC) is a wonderful luxury to me, too. The houses we grew up in had little gas heaters in each room. You would light a match and stick it near the burner and then turn on a valve. (I think they're illegal now!)

My mom remembers going visiting with her father (a pastor) and staying overnight on farms where all the children took turns bathing in the same tub of water. Because she was the guest, she got to take the first bath. She said the pot under the bed was called the "thunder mug"--I think because if it was raining you didn't want to go out to the privy.

Saturday night was when my mom would wash my hair and my sister's and then put it up in pin curls for Sunday morning.

I don't recall having memory verses; but, I do remember on Sunday night we would sometimes have a Bible game for the whole church. I have happy memories of Sunday School, and I'm very grateful for the lessons I learned. God bless those dear ladies.

We didn't have a car until I was high school. We lived in a small town where we could walk everywhere. (I would like that now!) On Sunday afternoon, friends and relatives would come "visiting." An invitation wasn't needed. It was like Sunday afternoons were "open house." I can remember hearing a car door and running to see who was coming. They would usually bring a treat, and everyone would sit around the dining room table and chat.

Upvote 0

mommysue

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Mountains of Kern Co, CA
✟9,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
paulnoel said:
We were brought up in a small 2 up, 2 down house in Liverpool, England.

I'm a Californian, what is a 2 up, 2 down house?

We were on the low end of the economical scale when I was growing up but I didn't even know that until a little girl told me our car was old and my clothes were poor looking! ha! I never noticed! Sometimes I think the simpler life is better! As long as I can keep all my modern appliances! ha!:D

Upvote 0

paulnoel

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!!!
Apr 5, 2005
Cambridge UK
✟10,032.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
mommysue said:
I'm a Californian, what is a 2 up, 2 down house?

We were on the low end of the economical scale when I was growing up but I didn't even know that until a little girl told me our car was old and my clothes were poor looking! ha! I never noticed! Sometimes I think the simpler life is better! As long as I can keep all my modern appliances! ha!:D

A 2 up 2 down is 2 rooms upstairs and 2 down stairs, only 4 rooms in the whole house!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.