Hi, I am skeptic and an athiest. I'm not the devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Also is it really surprising that many ancient cultures have a flood story, if they were all documenting the same event?
I think that the reason so many cultures have a flood myth is that 1: floods are a common occurence close to big rivers, where nearly all great civilisations began and 2: people we in contact and stories were traded just like goods, becoming warped and embellished while maintaining a core theme.

You will get similiar stories about many phenomena experienced by all humans, like droughts. Other myths talk about the stars, how humans got lifted up to become stars in the heavens, how the milky way is actually a river dividing two star-crossed lovers and so on.

Upvote 0

Logicdictates_udumb

Nov 27, 2018
madison
✟15,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Can we talk about morality for a moment? What make a theist think that their god is morally superiority when he advocates for rape, murder, slavery, and genocide? If satin was able you rebel against god, couldn't I? Even if I met god? Because I would. JS. I base my morality on the wellness of myself and those around me. That seems like a good basis for morality.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, he overplayed his hand with Moses and the Ark.

Sorry to be pedantic here, but Exodus 2:3 tells us that Moses was in an ark (the word is the same one as in Genesis 6:14). Possibly the OP was referring to that.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If satin was able you rebel against god, couldn't I?

Assuming you mean "Satan," yes of course. Many Christians would argue that you already have. But this line of argument kind of undermines your thread title.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry to be pedantic here, but Exodus 2:3 tells us that Moses was in an ark (the word is the same one as in Genesis 6:14). Possibly the OP was referring to that.

Possibly not.

Haha, the OP was technically referring to the flood rather than the ark, so I highly doubt it. Unless maybe the parting of the Red Sea is now a flood?

Good catch, though. (Though to be doubly pedantic, my Reina Valera actually uses the diminutive of "arca" in Exodus! I wonder what the Hebrew and Greek did.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Logicdictates_udumb

Nov 27, 2018
madison
✟15,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Haha, the OP was technically referring to the flood rather than the ark, so I highly doubt it. Unless maybe the parting of the Red Sea is now a flood?

Good catch, though. (Though to be doubly pedantic, my Reina Valera actually uses the diminutive of "arca" in Exodus! I wonder what the Hebrew and Greek did.)
I think I've been completely misrepresented on this flood think, I'm saying there are a lot of similarities between Gilgamesh and the ark story such as a global flood, the olive branch, a talking snake, a half god, and many other things that I would have to read again to point out, that appear to have been adopted by the Christian religion. that was an example, unlike many other similarities that seem to be drawn from earlier mythology. Another example is Horus of rah. Is Jesus Simply a Retelling of the Horus Mythology? | Cold Case Christianity

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When I said "same word," I meant "same Hebrew word," of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I've been completely misrepresented on this flood think, I'm saying there are a lot of similarities between Gilgamesh and the ark story such as a global flood, the olive branch, a talking snake, a half god, and many other things that I would have to read again to point out, that appear to have been adopted by the Christian religion. that was an example, unlike many other similarities that seem to be drawn from earlier mythology. Another example is Horus of rah. Is Jesus Simply a Retelling of the Horus Mythology? | Cold Case Christianity

I don't recall any half gods in the Bible, and there is no strong similarity between Horus and the Christian story at all. As the very article you linked points out, since it is actually from the Christian perspective and debunking the very thing you're trying to argue.

Seriously, first you confuse Noah and Moses, and now you post a link to a Christian apologetics website refuting what you're trying to argue. This is looking like an increasingly ridiculous trolling attempt. Do you not expect people to look at anything you link to? Or do you not bother to read it before posting it yourself?

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Logicdictates_udumb

Nov 27, 2018
madison
✟15,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
whether or not they are the exact same story (its not) they draw obviously
I don't recall any half gods in the Bible, and there is no strong similarity between Horus and the Christian story at all. As the very article you linked points out, since it is actually from the Christian perspective and debunking the very thing you're trying to argue.

Seriously, first you confuse Noah and Moses, and now you post a link to a Christian apologetics website refuting what you're trying to argue. This is looking like an increasingly ridiculous trolling attempt. Do you not expect people to look at anything you link to? Or do you not bother to read it before posting it yourself?
not atm tbh, i'm at work.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
whether or not they are the exact same story (its not) they draw obviously

The New Testament from Horus? There is no clear influence, since the idea that Horus is a dying savior god is a fabrication with no basis in Egyptian mythology at all.

The Egyptian god famous for being murdered and then being resurrected is Osiris, under completely different circumstances, and then he kind of dies again and becomes the god of the underworld. At least if people cited Osiris, it would make a little bit of sense, but this Horus nonsense is basically just a conspiracy theory with no scholarship behind it. (Or maybe it's because there's one story where he dies and is resurrected, but it is so obscure that people can run with it and pretend it incorporates all sorts of elements that it does not?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glukkon

Nov 27, 2018
Orlando
✟8,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend that has been an atheist since I have known him (+30 years). Some of these questions look familiar and nothing I haven’t been asked before. Anyhow, the best answer I can give you for proof about the power of Christ is my changed life. Since you don’t know me it would be a little hard to see a change but there are dozens and dozens of testimonies you can hear on YouTube. So for me it’s not like I woke up one morning and said, “today I am going to believe in Jesus”. Not even close to that, it was, “I wonder if I can get out of going to Church tonight, my stomach is a little upset”. But I did go and everything changed and I experienced the power of this “Jesus” you say can’t be proved. To put it another way: Saturday night I was at a bar and Sunday night I was at an altar. The bar left me wanting and the alter made me new because that was where I meet this Jesus. If you are sincerely searching, Jesus will find you.

(PS) I am an engineer so have had plenty of science and math classes. None of them have changed me like the night I encountered Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.