Here's a likeable thread: name one thing - about a denomination other than your own - that you like

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see much difference between most of the Protestant denominations. The only denominations I could never go to their church consistently are Catholic & Methodist.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like the Liturgy of Hours. Praying through the day in that fashion is peaceful.

I like the Benedictine practice of silent meals. A monk reads a selection from a text while the others dine. You remain silent throughout the evening until after Vigils (before dawn).

~bella

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I suppose this is also a good place, to talk about what you would like to see all Churches "doing":
Some Churches are "seeker friendly", I would like them to be "Preachers of the Sword".

Jesus said "I did not come to bring Peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34).

One Day He will break me, once and for all.

In Heaven, I'll be singing "Praise God, He took it all!"

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
You can also suggest things you wish your Church would take on, from another Church!

Something I do from time to time, is speak in tongues - but my Baptist Church does not do that: I sort of wish that we took inspiration from Pentecostal Churches and became a bit freer in speech.

The downside, is that I don't think people would interpret it properly, like the Bible says to do (I could pray about it in tongues, I suppose).

Does the Holy Spirit work, if you are not confessing almost anything?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Something I do from time to time, is speak in tongues - but my Baptist Church does not do that: I sort of wish that we took inspiration from Pentecostal Churches and became a bit freer in speech.

I assume you mean the real gift of tongues - not the counterfeit

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I like the fact that almost all denominations have affirmed God's Ten Commandments for mankind as included in the moral law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant.

for example

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hello gottservant, Do not believe anyone can really judge anyone nor condemn them. God does that. (We can judge ourselves and our own actions.) Denominations really mean nothing to me, compared to looking at the Lord Jesus Christ and His heavenly Kingdom.

What are about you?

But don't you realise that the Churches will be even more distinct and praiseworthy in Heaven?

Do you want to look even more to Jesus? That is your idea of a willing Bride?

I'm not saying you can't, just that you should realize the difference between being spiritual and being friendly?

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great thread.

Mine is... Catholicism. Because it was the first attempt at uniting Christians into a global power. And let's admit it, Christianity is a global power right now. That's why people hate it. People hate anything that is popular because that's just how they are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I like the Quakers, practicing "silence".

I don't really know much about it, but apparently the Quakers sit and just appreciate each other - nice!

Actually, although that may appear to be the case, it is not. Quakers believe in the "inner light" which many associate with the Holy Spirit. They believe everyone is born with the inner light, but most people are distracted by so many other things, that they fail to heed the still, small voice within them. The silence in Quaker meetings is to allow each person to attain the mystical relationship with their inner light and to share with others what they are experiencing and learning from the inner witness.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Methodism had its own revival in England, in the eighteenth century.

It sort of inspires you to wonder, what kind of revival could I encourage if I just had the right theology...

...or the right interpretation of the theology I identify with (already)!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I really like how the Assyrian Church of the East alone out of the Eastern churches and every Western church until Anglicanism came about, retained a Cathedral Office: everyone else lost theirs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there,

So I will kick this thread off:

Name one thing - about a denomination other than your own - that you like!

It can be anything...

(Jesus said, "by their fruits you will know them")

They worship Jesus
Love the Lord
Study the Bible
Worship Jesus

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I like the down to earth attitudes of the LDS. They seem really nice, and put on a really impressive Christmas lights show at the Mesa AZ Temple.

It's always a joy to see Mormons out and about, too, actually.

But, they’re not Christians, at least according to the ChristianForums statement of faith. They are lovely people; two of my best friends are Mormons, but the LDS church is an evil cult preaching a false Gospel, and we need to pray for the conversion of Mormons to Christianity. This is actually one of the two main objectives of one of my two Traditional Congregationalist missions, shared with providing a Congregationalist voice contrary to the UCC.

One denomination I really love is the Anglican Province of Christ the King. In Chico, in Northern California, the Episcopal Church sold off its historic building in downtown, a beautiful, traditional church building from the early 20th century, and replaced it with a large, wooden slab in a less easily accessible part of town along the north side of Lower Bidwell Park, which is architecturally underwhelming. The APCK acquired the historic Protestant Episcopal church after the Chinese restaurant that owned it went out of business in the early 1990s, restored it for use as a church, and before Covid, they were filling it up every Sunday. The TEC congregation in the wooden slab meanwhile is dwindling.

The APCK also has a fantastic seminary, St. Joseph of Arimathea, whch I have visited before, and while I plan my next trip to the Bay Area, if it has partially or fully reopened by then (right now, it is online only, but classes are at a discount, so if you want an MDiv or another degree, this is a good time, although you still have to do coursework and attend all the required lectures and participate in Morning Prayer on video chat. However, I am not a huge fan of Oakland compared to other places in the Bay Area, like Concord and Berkeley, the Embarcadero and Market Street, and Golden Gate Park, the Marin Headlands, Pacifica, and Cupertino in the Silicon Valley, so from my perspective the only extremely compelling reasons to go there are for the APCK seminary and the Dominican priory which has done a number of traditional Dominican Rite masses, although Traditiones Custodes might kill those off, and if it doesn’t, Pope Francis might take additional measures.

So perhaps I should add that I appreciate the SSPX and other traditional Latin mass groups who it looks like might become the bona fide custodians of tradition for as long as this Papacy lasts, or longer, if the Cardinals do not select a replacement who will reinstate Summorum Pontificum.

Upvote 0