kat_m

Oct 13, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟115.00
Faith
Christian
hello

i have only very recently in the last few months began thinking about the bible and christianity. i was brought up a catholic, but i say that very loosely as i only have hazy memories of ever going to church.
now that im older i want to get more involved but really dont know where to start. i have read another post here where somebody asks what kind of christian they are, and i guess i have a similar question. another thing that i dont understand is what the differences are between all the different churches. is there somewhere that i can find out? i have no real knowledge of religion other than what i have read in the bible very recently.
if anybody can point me in the right direction i would love that because i have just moved to manchester and would like to go to church.

many thanks!

kat

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray and talk to God about yourself, your situation, and ask Him to lead you in your life. If you are serious, He will open doors in front of you. Ask for His protection and ability to keep you in the palm of His hand, as the apple of His eye - for that is the kind of love He has available to those that seek Him.

Oh, and get a Bible and read the New Testament first. Perhaps starting with John. :)

Upvote 0
raphe said:
Pray and talk to God about yourself, your situation, and ask Him to lead you in your life. If you are serious, He will open doors in front of you. Ask for His protection and ability to keep you in the palm of His hand, as the apple of His eye - for that is the kind of love He has available to those that seek Him.

Oh, and get a Bible and read the New Testament first. Perhaps starting with John.
Ok, that was exactly what I was going to say.. Are you psycic???
Well I would like to add on to raphe. You could also meet a few religious friends, neighbors are good, and have them suggest a church to you :)

I pray for you!

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
In addition to prayer, do your own research to learn about the various denominations. Seeing as though you were born into a Catholic family, I would first start researching Catholicism and go from there. The "One bread One Body" forum on this site is a great source of information regarding the Catholic faith. ask us any question on there and you'll get an answer right away. Don't be afraid. Take the time and read for yourself. God is not going to sit down in front of you and tell you which is His church and give you a list of reasons why. You have to make the effort yourself to seek God, and THEN the door will be opened. :)

Upvote 0

papakapp

a waterdrop going over niagra falls
Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
✟9,116.00
Faith
Christian
cool.

Just remember one thing. Most 'christians' care more how you act thn they do what you believe. Understand that both are important.
BUT morality is less important.
Don't try to act a certain way just because "that's the way Christians act"
focus on what is True. Focus on what you believe. Then your actions will begin to line up.

I guarentee that people will try to force you to 'behave morally' Don't buy into their lies. Oh, sure, morality is fine and dandy, but it's not Jesus. Jesus saves, not your morality. The church is full of people who have completely messed up theology but they look pretty moral. These people are doomed. That is of course unless they give up all the tradition they have been taught and learn that 'good works' comes from God, 'good works' does not get somone to God.

I promise this will not be easy to sort out, but it's worth it. If you ever wanna chat, pm me.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I guarentee that people will try to force you to 'behave morally' Don't buy into their lies. Oh, sure, morality is fine and dandy, but it's not Jesus.
Your post is a little misleading. Jesus commanded us to live morally. It was a big part of His ministry. You're making it sound like behaving morally is a lie, but that's just not true. I see where you're trying to go with all this though. Said in another way; your walk begins when you first accept Christ as your savior and give your life over to God. Once that is done, then your new found faith will inspire you to live morally. First comes faith, then comes works. Both are important and one cannot exist without the other.

Upvote 0

Fiat

Let It Be Done
Sep 5, 2003
Visit site
✟397.00
Faith
Catholic
kat_m said:
hello

i have only very recently in the last few months began thinking about the bible and christianity. i was brought up a catholic, but i say that very loosely as i only have hazy memories of ever going to church.
now that im older i want to get more involved but really dont know where to start. i have read another post here where somebody asks what kind of christian they are, and i guess i have a similar question. another thing that i dont understand is what the differences are between all the different churches. is there somewhere that i can find out? i have no real knowledge of religion other than what i have read in the bible very recently.
if anybody can point me in the right direction i would love that because i have just moved to manchester and would like to go to church.

many thanks!
kat
Hello! The Catholic Church has an excellent program for those who would like to know more about the Church and would possibily like to become a member. This program is called the RCIA, this stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. The only thing you need to do is call your local Catholic parish and inquire. They'll do the rest! They'll let you know when the RCIA groups meet and will be able to answer any and all your questions. God bless you as you continue through your walk with Christ.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
kat_m said:
Thanks very much everyone for help and advice. I am started on the new testament and i have met somebody in the building that I have just moved into who is a christian so we are going to go to church together.
i will let you all know how things go!

kat

xx
good. yes, please keep us posted and enjoy your journey with God. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums