✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Just interested in opinions on this verse...

Matthew 16:26
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Is Jesus talking about missing out on blessing in this life.

Is Jesus talking about dying after judgement?

Do the unsaved loose their soul ?

Your thoughts please?

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,119.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Your thoughts please?
If one looks at the surrounding verses we can see that Jesus is telling his disciples what they must do in order to be his followers. Peter had rebuked Jesus and in turn admonished Peter. In order to follow Jesus, we must lose our ego and surrender to God's Holy Spirit. We must follow the Spirit's guidance. We die to the world and live in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one looks at the surrounding verses we can see that Jesus is telling his disciples what they must do in order to be his followers. Peter had rebuked Jesus and in turn admonished Peter. In order to follow Jesus, we must lose our ego and surrender to God's Holy Spirit. We must follow the Spirit's guidance. We die to the world and live in the Spirit.

Yes - I guess I am trying to understand about the warning He gives that those who don't follow will lose their soul.

What does this mean ?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,119.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes - I guess I am trying to understand about the warning He gives that those who don't follow will lose their soul.

What does this mean ?
Many Christians believe that faith is accepting that Jesus is the Son of God but it goes deeper than that. Faith is letting go of one's self and allowing God's Spirit to be our guide in life.

Peter clearly showed his lack of faith by rebuking Jesus. It took time and baptism in the Holy Spirit for the Apostles to understand dying to the world.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like the scripture is compatible with Matthew 10:39. We are either living on this earth for the sake of Christ who dwelleth in us or the sake of self which lusts after its own insatiable needs. One is to live in life, the other is to live in death even while here on this earth. But both the rewards and ramifications of those choices carry over into the age to come.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Lost Witness
Lost Witness
Absolutely Agree. :oldthumbsup:
Upvote 0
Lost Witness
Lost Witness
the LORD basically kept telling me that when he first Blessed me with His Holy Spirit,
I kept seeing, "The World Isn't Worth Your Soul"
At the Time he Had told me to Get up and Walk out Where I was and I didn't which led me to seeing the above statement or,"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?'
He since has forgiven me. (hallelujah!)
Upvote 0
Brad D.
Brad D.
I am so glad you are knowing His forgiveness in this J Mick. It blesses my soul.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it seems the Greek could mean either.

But if you take this meaning then are you supporting Anihilationism ?
It could be read that way. But it could also be read as there being no "life" worth having in hell.

I think Jesus' focus is more likely on this side of the grave, here.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It could be read that way. But it could also be read as there being no "life" worth having in hell.

I think Jesus' focus is more likely on this side of the grave, here.

Yes... the consequences of sin effecting this life are often understated.

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like the scripture is compatible with Matthew 10:39. We are either living on this earth for the sake of Christ who dwelleth in us or the sake of self which lusts after its own insatiable needs. One is to live in life, the other is to live in death even while here on this earth. But both the rewards and ramifications of those choices carry over into the age to come.

I would just add we all know in part, we all see in part. Can any of us know categorically what such scriptures mean. We see though a glass darkly. A little humility on CF would go a long way. Perhaps we need to argue less and encourage each other more. One thing I do know, and I think we could all agree on is this. One day we will all face Him (2 Corinthians 5:9-10), and when we look into His eyes we will know. The knowing will mean everything then. Whatever you think beyond that point I will leave up to you. But we can all agree in that day we will know. And to look into His eyes and know I didn't live a life well pleasing to Him will be hell enough for me. I cannot think of a greater sorrow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He says in the verses before it:
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
It sounds like Jesus is calling us to self-surrender, and that this is the mark of a true Christian who will be saved.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

If you forfeit your soul you had it once, but lost it...
(I read "the soul" as "your nature and character" or "the state of your spirit")
Someone who conquered the world, but became a murderer to do so or in the process of doing so, for example
This person must "live with themselves" just as we all must.
But I suspect that judgement may be not so much a sentence as it is a Revelation.

It may not be that the damned are dragged kicking and screaming into hell shouting "it's not fair! it's not fair!!!"
It may be that they are simply given one good look at themselves for the very first time and say "Amen".

By the same token, once you've lost it, what from the world (material possession, position, etc) can you give or barter in order to get back something that is/was spiritual in nature? Nothing. The spiritual outweighs the world. Who you are before God will always outweigh What you have. And "who you are before God" is really the final definition of "who you are". It can't logically be anything else. If it is, then God isn't God.

"Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be."
The same goes for anyone who stores up treasures on Earth.
Or Hell, for that matter.

I feel like if the spiritual realms sent us monthly account balances in the mail as regularly as the material ones, that might solve a lot of problems. ;) I also have a funny feeling that such account balances are in fact available upon request, for those that ask and genuinely want to know. Which might also solve a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If we include the preceding verses, they follow on from Peter's statement that Christ could not be put to death. Christ rebuked him, and then went on to point out that anyone who follows Him must be prepared to give up their life for his sake, just as He was going to give up his life for our sake.

It falls into a similar type as His comment "It is harder for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of the needle". In other words, don't put your faith in this world.

Jesus Predicts His Death​

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

If I have a question, it's more the last line "“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” He hasn't come back yet, and those He was talking to all died millenia ago.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I have a question, it's more the last line "“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” He hasn't come back yet, and those He was talking to all died millenia ago.

If we include the preceding verses, they follow on from Peter's statement that Christ could not be put to death.

The verse then might have actually been referring to Peter's insistence that Christ not die (or inspired by it as a lesson from it). Peter acknowledged him as Messiah and expected Christ to therefore "gain the whole world" rather than get crucified on a cross.

Possibly the "some who saw the Son of Man coming in his kingdom before tasting death" were those to whom he appeared to after his resurrection (all 12..., er 11. Sorry Judas!) Or those who saw his transfiguration on the mount in the following chapter.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Your thoughts please?
It just means that all worldly things are worthless, idols; our treasure is spiritual, in heaven. We must set our sights on God, not the world, or we have no life to begin with. He is eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

Your thoughts please?
IMO:
1 Thess 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole "spirit and soul and body" be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY NOTE: Humans are spirit, soul & body)

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the "dividing asunder of soul and spirit", and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart..
(MY NOTE: Man can't physically see nor separate soul or spirit, GOD CAN)

God is Spirit: Jn 4:24. A spirit doesn't have flesh and blood. Luke 24:39

Your soul is your thoughts & emotions that direct the actions we take. And functions only, in relation with our body. Our spirit is the eternal part of each of us. Your body, well look into a mirror.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words

Topic: Soul, "nepes" noun- self, will, emotions, mind person.

Topic: Spirit, "pneuma" noun, signifies (a) "breath, the breath of life," (b) "wind," "spirit," "breath." See GHOST, LIFE, SPIRIT, WIND

Final thought:
Your soul (a part of you that God places more value in, than all the world possesses, can be lost). Your spirit is eternal & will live forever. Either in God's presents or separated from His presents.

2 Thes 1:9 These people will pay the penalty and endure the punishment of [c]everlasting destruction, banished from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
See AMP Bible 2 Thes 1:9. www.biblegateway.com

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What does this mean ?
Follow is related to discipleship... Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men. A disciple is an apprentice of a Jewish Rabbi. It has nothing to do with salvation which is a free gift to all, who believe on Christ. A disciple gives his whole life to become just like the rabbi. Generally disciples or talmidim had the entire Old Testament memorized. See this short video, that I made on it. The short videos that follow also will give you more insight into the topic. The first video would give you the basics. If you watch the others, about 1/2 hour, you'll have a good feel on how Hebrew people would have understood this concept. It's probably one of the biggest topics most misunderstood in Christianity. Well worth your time.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi there,

Your thoughts please?
People cannot lose their soul, when they lose their breath of life, that is all God requires of any mortal sinner:
Job:14:10-15:
But man dieth,
and wasteth away:
yea,
man giveth up the ghost,
and where is he?
As the waters fail from the sea,
and the flood decayeth and drieth up:
So man lieth down,
and riseth not:
till the heavens be no more,
they shall not awake,
nor be raised out of their sleep.
O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave,
that thou wouldest keep me secret,
until thy wrath be past,
that thou wouldest appoint me a set time,
and remember me!
If a man die,
shall he live again?
all the days of my appointed time will I wait,
till my change come.
Thou shalt call,
and I will answer thee:
thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

Upvote 0