British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did not know the Galatians were worshiping their own gods of wrath. Thank you. How bad can it get!

You know what, when I think of all the cults, I don't think there will be very many in heaven.

The gods of the Gauls weren't forgiving, always full of wrath and vengance. Antioch was part of ancient Galatia when Paul and other NT believers were there. The book of Acts records how they were under pressure even from their own people (Jews/Hebrews), some couldn't see Christ pictured in type and shadow of the temple sacrifices and feasts they observed, others insisted NT beliveing Hebrews shouldn't mix with Gentiles, others insisted on outward circumcism. If it wasn't for the power of God prevailing the Gospel would never have been spread to the Gentiles.

Paul even allowed Timothy (a Gentile) to be outwardly circumcised (knowing he already had been inwardly circumcised), to win over another Jew to Christ. then instructed Timothy to preach sound doctrine and don't get involved in old fables, be it Jewish or pagan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Virtually the entire letter to the Galatians is contra Judiazation of the faith. Specifically, the Galatians were buying into the idea that they had to be circumcised before they could be Saved - IOW, they had to become Jews first, then Christians. And Paul is dead set against that.

The small apparent allusion to their previous pagan ways here is uncertain. There is no guarantee he is referring directly to pagan ways, because the "those" that the NIV renders in v 9, referring to weak and beggarly ways, is merely the article, o, simply meaning "the", as just about all other versions render it. It likely then is a more broad allusion to any of the old ways. It seems to me Paul equating the Galatians' ready embrace of Judaism to that of their previous pagan religion. After all, he will soon go on to make the brutal analogy of Hagar the bondwoman to the present day natural Jerusalem. No wonder the Jews hated Paul so virulently! He's in effect saying all the old religious ways are dead and worthless; if you want to know God you must know Him through Christ alone. To go back to the old ways, whether pagan or Jewish, is wrong.

This passage has its parallel in the letter to the not too distant city of Colossae, which was having a similar problem. There (2.16) the context perhaps could again be applied either way, but seems more strongly focused on Hebrew feasts.

Very well explained. The section in the book of Acts when Paul returned with the news to James and the Jerusalem church that the Gentiles were coming to Christ is enlightening. God sent Paul by the power of the Holy Spirit to the Temple and the Jews were about to kill him, God rescued Paul again and again, Paul still kept on preaching the gospel and King Agrippa was 'almost persuaded to accept Christ'. Paul kept on preaching, singing praises to Jehovah and praying.

May God work in such a way today as he did back then.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was Paul referring to, and are we still in danger of doing this today?
Well, what day it is has to do with where the sun and earth are, in relation to each other. So, in order to observe a day, whether it is of the Law's or pagan or cultural timing . . . it can be that we are being subject to the movement of the earth and sun. And this can mean, then, how we are under the power of the physical sun and earth . . . and moon, too.

And Paul says,

"I will not be brought under the power of any," in 1 Corinthians 6:12.

So, I see how Paul means we need to not be under the power of what time it is, or which day it is, or what humans are claiming about different physically measurable times.

But our real life is hidden in Jesus >

"For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." (Colossians 3:3)

But there seem to be ones who are so under the power of some day, that they can worship it with a lot of their attention and arguing and justifying it . . . versus continually worshiping God with our attention and submission to how He rules each of us in His own peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, the meaning could be that God wants us to personally submit to Him and be guided by Him, all the time > in His own peace with His personal guiding and creativity.

This will keep my attention busy with God in me . . . all the time > versus being so concerned with what time of day it is, or which day some thing is. I will be resting in the LORD, and not doing my own works . . . on any day.

Our life is now hidden in Jesus > and Jesus is not on this earth, and He certainly is not answering to where the sun and earth are positioned in relation to each other. But Jesus is resting :) and not moved and controlled by where the earth and sun are in relation to each other.

So, I see how Paul means to always stay attentive to God and how God has us resting in Him and doing only His works, on every day.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Grace is also no longer grace if you are going to observe the old customs for salvation. Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. And Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
What do you think Romans 1:5 means? Grace is not a license to disobedience and breaking God's law and not following what God says we ought to do. We all need God's grace because we are all sinners. Romans 1:5 says that God's grace is given to us so that we can be obedient to the faith. No one is saved through keeping the law and no one has said here that we are saved through keeping the law so your point is a mute one because all have sinned and broken the law according to the scriptures *Romans 3:9-20. That is why we need God's grace and the scriptures teach in Romans 1:5 that the reason God has given us His grace is so that we can be obedient to the faith. Therefore we are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves it is a gift of God and not of works lest any man should boast *Ephesans 2:8-9. OBEDIENCE to God's LAW is not how we are saved it is the FRUIT faith of one that is already been given Gods promise of salvation and the fruit of God's work in us *Philippians 2:13 as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. If our faith has no fruit (no obedience to God's Word) it is dead *James 2:18-20; 26 and our tree will be cast down and thrown into the fire *Matthew 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50 according to the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gal 4:

You observe days and months and seasons and years.

11 I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain.

These were Christians who fell back into Temple Judaism by observing ceremonial rituals for the forgiveness of sin. Like the day of atonement.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Grace is also no longer grace if you are going to observe the old customs for salvation. Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. And Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

Do you all hear yourselves?!?!?! So WHY do you need grace then??! Is it because you SIN??? Sin is the transgression of the LAW...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
These were Christians who fell back into Temple Judaism by observing ceremonial rituals for the forgiveness of sin. Like the day of atonement.

Did you not read what I wrote?!?!?

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
*MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.[/QUOTE]
Do you all hear yourselves?!?!?! So WHY do you need grace then??! Is it because you SIN??? Sin is the transgression of the LAW...
The law has always pointed to sin, nothing changes there. It still does today. But today we have the once for all sacrifice Jesus Christ and His blood. Not only does that not need to be re-enacted by rituals and animal sacrifices etc. but it can't be. That's the point in the book of Galatians, Paul was saying you've come out of that don't go back !. If people don't get that then they could well be following another gospel. There are plenty of ritualistic churches who will be glad to take you straight to hell all along thinking they are doing good.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gal 4:

Legalism and idolatry.

Yes continues today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you not read what I wrote?!?!?
Paul wrote to the Galatians to counter the Judaizers who were preaching a different Gospel. He defend the truth. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Gal 4:

In Galatians 4:10, Paul addressed these verses to those who formerly did not know God, also known as former pagans. As such, they were not formerly keeping God's holy days and thus Paul could not have been criticizing them for returning to to them. So whatever Paul was referring to in verses 10-11 is within the context of paganism, not God's holy days, which means that only those who are former pagans are in danger of returning to paganism.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Can you be specific about this please...
Carl, any church who fits the bill of preaching another gospel but the same ( or looks the same but really is not). Galatians and 2 Corinthians is rich with these warnings. We even see it in the Gospels ( synoptic) Jesus speaking. Mark 7:9 . We have to be weary of another spirit in the churches ( any church), actually evil spirit in reality. We see it ( the warning) in the book of Acts. Bottom line: a false gospel.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
*MATTHEW 3:10; 7:19-20; 13:49-50.

The law has always pointed to sin, nothing changes there. It still does today. But today we have the once for all sacrifice Jesus Christ and His blood. Not only does that not need to be re-enacted by rituals and animal sacrifices etc. but it can't be. That's the point in the book of Galatians, Paul was saying you've come out of that don't go back !. If people don't get that then they could well be following another gospel. There are plenty of ritualistic churches who will be glad to take you straight to hell all along thinking they are doing good.[/QUOTE]

LOL, you did not even address my post, just spouted your theology.

Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Impossible, the Galatians were gentile believers so they could not be going back to seek God's forgiveness in sin offerings and the day of atonement as they were not previously Jews but unbelieving pagan gentiles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Paul wrote to the Galatians to counter the Judaizers who were preaching a different Gospel. He defend the truth. Blessings.

Not in the specific passage we are discussing...

Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. But now that you know God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you are turning back to those weak and worthless principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years!

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
OK so lets look at the days, months and seasons...

Lent - Christmas - Sabbath - Easter - Passover - etc...

Did Paul have these in the gun?
No! The book of Galatians is showing that there is no justification or salvation in the things that we do because we are all sinners in need of God's grace and salvation. Paul is talking about being justified by the works of the law for salvation. Lent, Christmas and Easter all have their origin in paganism that have crept into Christianity today and not from the bible so Paul would not be talking about these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0